GDT: Group A • Feb. 16 • Slovenia vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducksgo*

Are there any advantages we get in next rounds if USA beats Slovenia?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Hey can we not scratch Faulk for an inferior defenseman again?

I'd like to see Faulk play this next game. I didn't think Carlson played a particularly good game. I'm not going to get into the Martin-Orpik pairing, but basically I think Faulk deserves a look. Suter, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, and Fowler should be locks to play every game(at this point), but I don't think Orpik, Martin, and Carlson have been good enough to not give Faulk an opportunity to see what he can do.

That's just my feeling. I expect Bylsma to give Martin and Orpik the benefit of the doubt, but Faulk really needs to be given an opportunity.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really want Faulk to play but I've been thinking, he must not be impressing at practice if he keeps getting scratched.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Will we be matched up against the lowest seed in the QF if we win?

The U.S. will be the #3 seed assuming the U.S. beats Slovenia and the Canada/Finland game victor wins in regulation. The U.S. will move up to the #2 seed if the U.S. beats Slovenia and one of the following two scenarios occur:

1) Canada beats Finland in OT/shootout AND U.S. beats Slovenia by 3 or more goals.
OR
2) Finland beats Canada in OT/shootout AND U.S. beats Slovenia by 4 or more goals.

Here's a link to the men's Olympic hockey standings (including goals scored/allowed) that also provides an explanation of the elimination round seeding tiebreakers:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/mens-hockey-standings-schedule-and-tiebreakers

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You bet I'll be getting up early again (or pulling an all-nighter). Either way I won't be missing a game. Go USA!

member 151739

I still haven't gone to sleep since the USA/Russia game that started at 4:00 AM this morning... And I had ALREADY been up since 6:00 AM Friday...

I guess I should get some sleep for this game... LOL!

For the love of God, I hope you went to bed. I just woke up.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The U.S. will be the #3 seed assuming the U.S. beats Slovenia and the Canada/Finland game victor wins in regulation. The U.S. will move up to the #2 seed if the U.S. beats Slovenia and one of the following two scenarios occur:

1) Canada beats Finland in OT/shootout AND U.S. beats Slovenia by 3 or more goals.
OR
2) Finland beats Canada in OT/shootout AND U.S. beats Slovenia by 4 or more goals.

Here's a link to the men's Olympic hockey standings (including goals scored/allowed) that also provides an explanation of the elimination round seeding tiebreakers:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/mens-hockey-standings-schedule-and-tiebreakers
Hmm, so there is still incentive to score as much as possible against those Slovenes. Hope USA doesn't take them lightly!

Bullwine85

Jan 3, 2013
Neenah, WI
Not looking forward at all to that Swiss game. Really worried about that one.

Same here. The fact that they finished 2nd in their group while only scoring two goals speaks volumes. I feel they'd be our biggest obstacle to the gold medal game (unless we play CAN/RUS in the semis of course)

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Pretty pumped to catch this game tomorrow. I actually won't be hung over tomorrow morning so I'll enjoy it much more. But then again, it is still early :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad