GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • Russia 3, Sweden 4 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Canada will have to beat both USSR and SWEDEN to capture gold.,barring upset b4 that which i do not see taking place.,I love it,makes for better hockey with medals on line.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yes cause they had an astonishing 3! penalties that period :laugh:

And I think they where all good calls, nothing to talk about there.

Total penalty minutes: Russia 16, Sweden 4. That means that means that Russia spent 27% of the game shorthanded, while Sweden was only shorthanded for 6% (actually, one of Sweden's two penalties for the game was coincidental, so they were only shorthanded for two minutes). Again, my point is not to take anything away from Sweden's great comeback - only to illustrate that a hostile crowd influences many referees to get directly involved in the outcome of the game. That's just a fact, and it would be naive to deny that it happens.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Total penalty minutes: Russia 16, Sweden 4. That means that means that Russia spent 27% of the game shorthanded, while Sweden was only shorthanded for 6% (actually, one of Sweden's two penalties for the game was coincidental, so they were only shorthanded for two minutes). Again, my point is not to take anything away from Sweden's great comeback - only to illustrate that a hostile crowd influences many referees to get directly involved in the outcome of the game. That's just a fact, and it would be naive to deny that it happens.

Well, crowd or not it more illustrates how much Sweden carried the play over the 63 minutes, along with the shot count of course. Russia got a big lead and stopped being aggressive. You're not drawing penalties if you don't have the puck and vice versa.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seemed to me that those Russian penalties were well deserved and lots were because the Russian's were on their heels scared to choke their lead. Of course anyone watching hockey for a long time has seen such a thing happen many times, even by teams with players much older and more experienced. As for refs giving ino fan bias, canada has been shorthanded more in the tournament than Russia.

Regardless, that was a great game.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Great game, congrats to Sweden. Really impressed by the Swedish coolness and courage, kept driving hard and stayed very composed with the puck.

Sweden is the team to beat.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Well, crowd or not it more illustrates how much Sweden carried the play over the 63 minutes, along with the shot count of course. Russia got a big lead and stopped being aggressive. You're not drawing penalties if you don't have the puck and vice versa.

For the most part, I agree with your points. Sweden did carry the play, if not for the full 63 minutes, at least for the last 43. As for the disparity in shots on goal, that is typically directly connected to the amount of time spent on the power play. When you have a man advantage, especially a good team like Sweden, you are going to get of a lot more shots on goal than you would being at even strength. Also, when you are behind, as Sweden was for nearly the entire game, you are going to be less patient and bomb away from every angle. Credit Sweden for keeping the pressure on and not panicking. Sweden was a deserving winner.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
No doubt that Russia is still in contention, but I think the psychological challenges will be more difficult this year than last year. Last year, (1) no one expected Russia to be a Gold Medal contender because of their 6th place finish the year before, and (2) their losses were in the first two games of the tournament. They were able to enter the medal round in the midst of a little winning streak.

This year, they go into the medal round with a negative. They were in clear position to win the game, but Sweden forced a collapse similar to Canada's last year in the 3rd period. Everybody seemed to be standing around waiting for one of their teammates to make a play. Now they are going to have to beat the Czechs, and probably Canada, to make it to the Gold Medal game.

The Czechs will be very encouraged by the 3rd period collapse. Count on them to fight hard for all 60 minutes, thinking that if they can stay within 3 goals, they can pour the pressure on Russia in the final period. IMHO, the road will be much tougher thanks to the meltdown you described.

The kids are going to have to come to terms with the fact that the Alberta crowd will hate them, and that their support for the Czechs will put pressure on the referees to start a parade of Russians to the penalty box for the tiniest touch, such as we had last night. Bragin is going to have to prepare them to play under such harsh and pressure-filled conditions. I believe they have the talent to survive, but everybody will have to fight and contribute at their full capability.

Russia should have finished yesterdays game off, but got lazy, undisciplined and simply decided to stand off and not attack.

Yet, the Czechs aren't the Swedes. They won't be able to have much possession against the Russians and will once again rely on epic goaltending and impotent opposition finishing.

I just can't see the Czechs beating Russia. It would be a monster upset IMO.

Russian can win gold here. They just need to do 2 things. Avoid penalty trouble, and don't sit back. 2 things that are very adjustable.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Wow, 3 Swedish goals of point shots and 1 off a ridiculously lucky bonce. Ugly game for the russian netminder.

And this is why you need to watch the whole game and not rely on a short highlight clip.

Vasilevski was the best player in the game by far. No goaltender in the world would be able to take 50+ shots in a game without eventually letting in a few goals.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Russia should have finished yesterdays game off, but got lazy, undisciplined and simply decided to stand off and not attack.

Yet, the Czechs aren't the Swedes. They won't be able to have much possession against the Russians and will once again rely on epic goaltending and impotent opposition finishing.

Russian can win gold here. They just need to do 2 things. Avoid penalty trouble, and don't sit back. 2 things that are very adjustable.

I agree... the Swedes brought it against the Russians in the 3rd and didn't let up. They simply wanted the win more than the Russians in the final period and OT and they willed themselves to the win.

If Russia uses that game as a lesson to learn from... they will be tough to beat going forward because they should realize you can't let up and give a team a chance to come back. I think they'll be very hard to beat the rest of the tournament IF they put their heads down and play like they are capable of.

Their goalie Vasilevski is incredibly good and I agree he was the player of the game... and maybe even of the tournament so far. He looks very composed and solid in net and really on a couple of those goals it was very hard to fault the goalie on.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I totally agree with you. You can't get lazy and stop attacking against a superior team like Sweden, or they will find a way to beat you. The Czechs seem like a gritty team, but they lack the depth and talent of a team like Sweden. I expect that the Russians will find a way to get by the Czechs.

Unfortunately, if they do get by the Czechs, as expected, that brings up a likely match-up with Canada. For Russians fan, I guess the best way to look at it is that if you are going to play for a Gold Medal, you are going to have to face Canada eventually.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I totally agree with you. You can't get lazy and stop attacking against a superior team like Sweden, or they will find a way to beat you. The Czechs seem like a gritty team, but they lack the depth and talent of a team like Sweden. I expect that the Russians will find a way to get by the Czechs.

Unfortunately, if they do get by the Czechs, as expected, that brings up a likely match-up with Canada. For Russians fan, I guess the best way to look at it is that if you are going to play for a Gold Medal, you are going to have to face Canada eventually.

Give credit to Sweden. After such a dissmal start they did very well. It did seem that Russia just stopped attacking. Obviously when you think of Russian hockey you think of possession (and the sometimes overused stretch pass!), and half way through the 3rd i started to think when was the last time Russia had any offensize zone pressure. The penalties certainly didn't help, but considering the amount of attacking ability you had, i am unsure why you simply didn't go for the throat.

I disagree with your view on meeting Canada. I would rather meet them in the final than the semi's, because it means you have a guaranteed silver. It's also possible Canada would have lost to Sweden in the Semi's. Not facing Canada > Facing Canada in Final > Facing Canada in Semi's.

Do we know if Grigorenko is likely available? I hope so, a pleasure to watch him. Although at times he isn't the most intense player, i was more impressed by him than Yakupov at times.

Eaglepride*

Nothing else to say but :handclap:

jag hälsar dig vänaste land uppå jord

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I can't believe the story isn't the fact the shot was blatantly over the crossbar.

Nordstrom is 6 feet 2. With his position I would say with the skates that's how high he was standing, the puck clearly hits the stick when its at angle with the farthest down part at the his diaphragm, so where do you get the 2 feet?

At 6 feet, diaphragm to head for me is 17 inches.

But then again, Canadians/Scandanvians only concern is the verbal diarrhea of saying the shot count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad