GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • Russia 3, Sweden 4 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

i dont know what was happening to Russia in third period but great play by sweden.

It seems that in hockey, once you lose the momentum, it is harder than hell to get it back.

Same thing happened in the Canada - U.S. game. All Canada 1st period. All U.S. after that.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Holy crap..being there was absolutely awesome. Everyone wanted Russia to lose, only a few russian people were there (or cheering for russia for that matter) then boom! Sweden scores 3 and the crowd went crazy, I would be lying if I said I wasn't cheering for sweden myself! Best hockey game I've ever been to.

Canadian crowds have always hated Russia and Russians! If Russia was playing against the World Satanic Forces, the Canadian crowd would be shouting "Go, Satan, Go."

Ironically, we have a rival now - the United States. The Canadian crowds have booed the United States and cheered for every team that played against the Americans in the entire tournament. Its a huge handicap to overcome when the whole crowd is against you, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the referees are strongly influenced by fan sentiment. Not to take anything away from the magnificent Swedish display, but the parade of Russians to the penalty box in the third period definitely was a major factor in the outcome of the game. Every time a Russian sneezed - two minutes!

DSL

Jun 30, 2011
Canadian crowds have always hated Russia and Russians! If Russia was playing against the World Satanic Forces, the Canadian crowd would be shouting "Go, Satan, Go."

Ironically, we have a rival now - the United States. The Canadian crowds have booed the United States and cheered for every team that played against the Americans in the entire tournament. Its a huge handicap to overcome when the whole crowd is against you, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the referees are strongly influenced by fan sentiment. Not to take anything away from the magnificent Swedish display, but the parade of Russians to the penalty box in the third period definitely was a major factor in the outcome of the game. Every time a Russian sneezed - two minutes!

Yes cause they had an astonishing 3! penalties that period :laugh:

And I think they where all good calls, nothing to talk about there.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
Great comeback by Sweden! I didn't realize that I was cheering for them until their first goal.

I have a little bit of a question concerning placement and points, if anyone could possibly answer it; What's the point of the point system in the WJC? I thought that unless Sweden won in regulation, Russia would be first in Group A no matter what. Here's why:

Before tonight's game, Sweden had 3 wins, just like Russia BUT one was an OTW, so they only had 2 points for it. That meant that going into tonights game, Russia had 9 points and Sweden had 8. With an overtime win for Sweden, they get 2 point and Russia gets 1, leaving them both tied at 10. Isn't that supposed to be when the goal differential applies, which is in favour of Russia?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
THAT... WAS...UNBELIEVABLE! One of the best comebacks and atmosphere all mixed into one. The fans were chanting GO SWEDEN GO...what's next GO U.S. ???

I was proud to see the Swedes pull it out. I've been a fan of their international program for decades. Great night to spend New Years Eve, wish this tournament was here every year or second year.

--Here: as in Calgary for the drunk poster out there.

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I wish all Canadian hockey fans were as classy as most of those who posted in this thread.

I actually passed out and missed the game:rant:

Does anyone know if there's place I can see it now?

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I have a little bit of a question concerning placement and points, if anyone could possibly answer it; What's the point of the point system in the WJC? I thought that unless Sweden won in regulation, Russia would be first in Group A no matter what. Here's why:

Before tonight's game, Sweden had 3 wins, just like Russia BUT one was an OTW, so they only had 2 points for it. That meant that going into tonights game, Russia had 9 points and Sweden had 8. With an overtime win for Sweden, they get 2 point and Russia gets 1, leaving them both tied at 10. Isn't that supposed to be when the goal differential applies, which is in favour of Russia?

In the case of a tie in the standings between two teams, head-to-head results are the first tie-breaker and not goal differential.

Regarding the question of why the WJC point system works like this... I'm not sure. So that the final round robin game won't be less meaningful than the combined results of the three previous games?

SChan*

Way too many exciting swedish fans over a round robin win. We have lost the semi-final last 2 years, so i am damn worrird about the fins.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I wish all Canadian hockey fans were as classy as most of those who posted in this thread.

I actually passed out and missed the game:rant:

Does anyone know if there's place I can see it now?

If you were in Canada, easily. Maybe with HotSpot Shield you could watch on TSN.ca, they have all of the WJC games on demand.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Way too many exciting swedish fans over a round robin win. We have lost the semi-final last 2 years, so i am damn worrird about the fins.

Whenever Swedes come off a big win and think they're "all that", they perform like crap the following game. Finland has the best possible shot to beat Sweden after this epic win against the Ruskies.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I couldnt sleep after the win.. too much adrenaline. But I finally fell asleep around 8 am.. which sucked because now I will be dead at work.. off to a 9 hour shift after sleeping 3 hours :S Atleast I was sober :P

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Stayed up to await TSN posting it in the library. The State's NHL Channel isn't showing any TSN2 games, so thise was a treat with an interuption for the Ball Dropping in NY at midnight, Champagne, fireworks, and then 2nd period and dessert!
WHat a freakin' start on 2012!
And tomorrow, or later today to be precise, my beloved Ducks will cream the Cheese Heads in Rose Bowl. 2012 is off to a roaring start! What a ride!
Happy New Years to all of you, mother ****ers! :laugh:

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Wow.... I didn't watch the game live, but decided to watch it on TSN this morning. I didn't have any other tabs open, but when we were down so early by so much, I said to a friend "It's because we have those damn blue jerseys, except for the olympics 2006 we never win whilst wearing them!", and so I google a blue jersey to link an image, and by accidentally holding my cursor above it, it said "Blah blah blah, Russia 4, Sweden 2" and I thought "Oh no, the game is spoiled, what have I done", but I continued to watch, just to see how we'd play.

So when the score was 3-2 to Russia and we had our open net, I was convinced that they would get an empty netter, so when Friberg scored I think my jaw dropped to the floor. My "spoiler" was wrong? Could it have been from an earlier game? I wasn't used to the TSN interface so I hadn't even noticed that there was an "overtime"-period to watch, I thought it might be studio talk afterwards or something, but then I saw it and watched the overtime with a great deal of nervousness. And then of course it was great to see the puck go in in OverTime, even though I was convinced that it was gonna be disallowed, just because..

What a fantastic start to the new year! But it's important not to celebrate too much, it was a great game, but we'd damn well better not lose to Finland. We need a major vengeance for the senior champs :P

SChan*

Whenever Swedes come off a big win and think they're "all that", they perform like crap the following game. Finland has the best possible shot to beat Sweden after this epic win against the Ruskies.

Exactly, now mats wennerholm and other swedish idiots in the media will write and say the gold is ours already.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Maybe not in Toronto, but in Alberta with all the Ukrainians. You're in enemy territory alright :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad