GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • Russia 3, Sweden 4 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I can't believe the story isn't the fact the shot was blatantly over the crossbar.

Nordstrom is 6 feet 2. With his position I would say with the skates that's how high he was standing, the puck clearly hits the stick when its at angle with the farthest down part at the his diaphragm, so where do you get the 2 feet?

At 6 feet, diaphragm to head for me is 17 inches.

But then again, Canadians/Scandanvians only concern is the verbal diarrhea of saying the shot count.

His stick was angles so that the blade was higher then the crossbar, but the puck hit the stick close to where he was holding it, below the crossbar. Seriously, look at the replay, it's clear as day that it was a legal goal.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Do they think that the game against Finland would be easy?

Sure as hell easier than getting both Czech and Canada before getting the chance for the gold.

And no, we don't think Finland will be easy. A moron would think that.

But don't worry, Russia got the power to win both those games, wouldn't surprise me if they did. :D

Last edited:

observerspb*

Sure as hell easier than getting both Czech and Canada before getting the chance for the gold.

And no, we don't think Finland will be easy. A moron would think that.

But don't worry, Russia got the power to win both those games, wouldn't surprise me if they did. :D
with the Czechs we will have a chance
200px-UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.png

But with Canadians ... it is difficult to prove their superiority. Curling may happen?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I can't believe the story isn't the fact the shot was blatantly over the crossbar.

Nordstrom is 6 feet 2. With his position I would say with the skates that's how high he was standing, the puck clearly hits the stick when its at angle with the farthest down part at the his diaphragm, so where do you get the 2 feet?

At 6 feet, diaphragm to head for me is 17 inches.

But then again, Canadians/Scandanvians only concern is the verbal diarrhea of saying the shot count.
Eh, come on, I'm a Russia fan (full disclosure, so as to not get labelled as favouring the Swedes), and I don't really think it was conclusive whether his stick was over or under the crossbar. And the call on the ice was a goal, so I can't see how they could've overturned it, at least with the footage that was shown on TV.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Eh, come on, I'm a Russia fan (full disclosure, so as to not get labelled as favouring the Swedes), and I don't really think it was conclusive whether his stick was over or under the crossbar. And the call on the ice was a goal, so I can't see how they could've overturned it, at least with the footage that was shown on TV.

I agree with this. The call was good on the ice, therefore it stands because it is impossible to be sure within an inch one way or the other.

I always look at it like this: if you are hanging your hopes on a goal being overturned, you probably didn't deserve the win anyway.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Give credit to Sweden. After such a dissmal start they did very well. It did seem that Russia just stopped attacking. Obviously when you think of Russian hockey you think of possession (and the sometimes overused stretch pass!), and half way through the 3rd i started to think when was the last time Russia had any offensize zone pressure. The penalties certainly didn't help, but considering the amount of attacking ability you had, i am unsure why you simply didn't go for the throat.

I disagree with your view on meeting Canada. I would rather meet them in the final than the semi's, because it means you have a guaranteed silver. It's also possible Canada would have lost to Sweden in the Semi's. Not facing Canada > Facing Canada in Final > Facing Canada in Semi's.

Do we know if Grigorenko is likely available? I hope so, a pleasure to watch him. Although at times he isn't the most intense player, i was more impressed by him than Yakupov at times.

Clearly, Sweden deserves great credit for a truly epic comeback. Yes, they were aided by Russia's willingness to sit back and try to protect a lead by playing defense in their own zone, instead of attacking to build a more comfortable lead. More often than not, playing defense in your own zone while the other team is attacking furiously and the puck is pinballing all around your goal only invites disaster.

Maybe I didn't make my point clearly, because it would obviously be crazy to prefer to play Canada in the semis rather than in the Gold Medal final. By losing the game, Russia put itself in position to meet Canada in the semis, assuming we get by the Czechs. Sweden now has a bye in the first round, so they couldn't be matched up against Canada until the Gold Medal game.

My opinion is that Canada is a better team than Sweden, and they are tougher to play than Sweden. They will try to physically pound you into submission, and you have to withstand the onslaught if you are going to beat them. Sweden isn't nearly as physical and tough as Canada, which may explain why they have rarely beaten Canada in the WJC.

If there is any reliable information on Grigorenko's status, I don't have it. The few comments made by Bragin and his staff have been vague, typical coach speak. They probably know whether Grigo will or won't play, but it is as if they are not going to give it away until the pregame skate. My guess - he is probably out of action for 3-4 weeks, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Do they think that the game against Finland would be easy?

The Finns will have to work for it at least. But they have their best team in years and are obviously the big favorites and all the pressure is on that team. With that said, I at least expects Swe to do their best.

Mara

May 10, 2011
The Finns will have to work for it at least. But they have their best team in years and are obviously the big favorites and all the pressure is on that team. With that said, I at least expects Swe to do their best.

Finn D is a bunch of underage babies who'll crumble in the semis, if they manage to get that far.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Finland are the big favorites against Sweden? I might have missed something.

pouskin74*

finnland is not in semis yet. they do have better chances to get there but anyway.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Finland are the big favorites against Sweden? I might have missed something.

Oh, of course they are. By a tremendous margin.

They have their best teams in many many years, they only lost to Canada so far this tournament and they beat a strong US team and so forth. Sweden have their worst teams in many many years and have struggled mightly so far giving up 3 against Latvia, tieing the Swiss and only winning after a bunch of fluke goals against Russia. Swedish goaltending has been worthless so far etc.

All the pressure is on the finns and I am just happy if Sweden can manage to put up a decent fight.

DSL

Jun 30, 2011

They have their best teams in many many years, they only lost to Canada so far this tournament and they beat a strong US team and so forth. Sweden have their worst teams in many many years and have struggled mightly so far giving up 3 against Latvia, tieing the Swiss and only winning after a bunch of fluke goals against Russia. Swedish goaltending has been worthless so far etc.

All the pressure is on the finns and I am just happy if Sweden can manage to put up a decent fight.

Actually I think we gave up 4 against Latvia :(

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

Now this is a swede if I ever saw one. Bet hes from Goteborg too

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
I think Sweden played pretty well defensively after those 3 goals (after Klingberg was benched). You cant prevent the russians from getting some breakaways every game even if you play great, they are fast and skilled. The defence looks good as long as we play Brodin, Klefbom and Nemeth a lot, which we are from here on.

I´m more worried about our inability to score, you cant miss these scoring opportunities in the future. The Canadians and Russians are deadly when they get the chance. Forsberg is a good example, the guy should have 5 goals by now.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
We do have our worst team in several years, but we should still beat Finland. Anthing else is an embarrassment.

I for one have a bad feeling. I think the constant defensive brainfarts are going to lead to our demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad