Status
Not open for further replies.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
2012 IIHF U20 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP | GROUP A
DECEMBER 29, 2011
8:00 PM MT • 10:00 PM ET • 05:00 EET (DEC. 30) • 06:00 MSD (DEC. 30)

flag_128.jpg
Versus-logo_1.jpg
flag_128.jpg

flames-out.jpg

SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME, CALGARY
(CAPACITY: 19,289)

Latvia
Last game's lineup.
Left Wing | Center | Right Wing
17 Dāvis Straupe​
|
22 Zemgus Girgensons (A)
|
9 Kristiāns PelÅ¡s (C)
|-
23 Toms Andersons​
|
21 Teodors Bļugers​
|
11 Roberts Lipsbergs​
|-
14 Vitālijs Hvorostiņins​
|
12 Artūrs Kuzmenkovs​
|
16 Māris Diļevka​
|-
15 Jurijs ZiemiņÅ¡​
|
19 Edgars KļaviņÅ¡​
|
28 Ņikita Jevpalovs​
|-

Left Defense | Right Defense
2 Kristaps Nīmanis​
|
7 Pauls Zvirbulis​
|
6 Artūrs Salija (A)
|
4 Edgars Siksna​
|
-​
|
18 KriÅ¡s Lipsbergs​
|
3 Ņikita Koļesņikovs​
|
-​
|
26 Krists KalniņÅ¡​
|
10 Kristers Freibergs​
|
-​
|

Starting Goalie | Backup Goalie
25 Kristers Gudļevskis​
|
30 Elviss Merzļikins​
|
-​

Scratches | Reason
G 1 Rihards Cimermanis|
Healthy​
|-

Russia
Potential lineup.
Left Wing | Center | Right Wing
22 Sergei Barbashev​
|
14 Denis Apalkov (A)
|
25 Yevgeniy Kuznetsov (C)
|-
10 Nail Yakupov​
|
19 Alexander Khokhlachev​
|
23 Ivan Telegin​
|-
8 Nikita Gusev​
|
17 Mikhail Grigorenko​
|
9 Nikita Kucherov​
|-
16 Ignat Zemchenko​
|
15 Pavel Kulikov​
|
18 Yaroslav Kosov​
|-

Left Defense | Right Defense
3 Artyom Sergeyev​
|
24 Zakhar Arzamastsev (A)
|
4 Viktor Antipin​
|
7 Igor Ozhiganov​
|
-​
|
29 Nikita Nesterov​
|
12 Grigoriy Zheldakov​
|
-​
|
6 Mikhail Naumenkov​
|
26 Ildar Isangulov​
|
-​
|

Starting Goalie | Backup Goalie
30 Andrei Vasilevskiy​
|
20 Andrei Makarov​
|
-​

Scratches | Reason
G 1 Sergei Kostenko|
Healthy​
|-

Officials
- | -
wse.gif
|Mikael Nord
wse.gif
|Sören Persson
wca.gif
|Chris Carlson
wde.gif
|André Schrader

Fulcrum

Since this is the 3rd game for Russia, we should expect Russian offense to start clicking now more often. Defense should be solid, as it was against Slovakia. It's really important for Russia to improve team play this game, because after that- there's no time for experimenting.

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
Russia wins 9-2.
unless something goes terribly wrong for Russia it will be a blowout, tho I see its obvious. their attack will be just way too much. While Russian goaltending has been sharp, I'm unsure what to expect from defence I must say.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Russia has scored just 6 goals in 2 games against Switzerland and Slovakia. Latvia has scored 5 goals in 2 games against Sweden and Slovakia.

Hockey doesn't work like that, but I somehow don't expect a blowout today. I expect something similar to the game against Sweden - we might hold on for a good 30 minutes and the rest will largely depend on our stamina, our goalie and the Russian motivation to win.

Well, at least that's what I hope will happen. :nod:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
We've played vs Russia two times in the elite (three if counting in 2010 pre-tournament game) and we've always played good vs them in this level so I hope it continues. If not, I hope we don't relegate this year as the next WJC is in Ufa. In Canada, you beat Latvia. In Russia, Latvia beats You! :D:laugh::laugh:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
We've played vs Russia two times in the elite (three if counting in 2010 pre-tournament game) and we've always played good vs them in this level so I hope it continues. If not, I hope we don't relegate this year as the next WJC is in Ufa. In Canada, you beat Latvia. In Russia, Latvia beats You! :D:laugh::laugh:

yeah, u gonna have to beat Slovaks or us. Our team needs a blow like that.

Dares

May 13, 2009
2 scenarios : Russia improves over 2nd game only by a small bit like they did over 1st game = 4-1/5-1 score or they finally get it all together 7-1 / 9-1 score

In the interview after 1 st game Bragin talked about penalties, said that guys were told to play a clean game. Some of them go and do the opposite, with Telegin completely loosing it. From what Bragin said sounded he was bit too harsh on him, still it was much required otherwise Russians don't get it (wherever its juniors or senior national team --- Ovy to 4th line!!! )
When asked about Kuznetsov, if he gave out to him about holding on to the puck too much...wasn't really happy with Bragin's answer, knew hes taking it too softly on Evgeny, hes allowed too much and have a feeling Bragin's closes his eyes to Kuznetsovs mistakes.
Well that's my opinion, what i get from listening to interviews, as Bragin says it: nothin to worry about, Kuzya will get there....not sure on that one, if hes not playing as part of the team.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
yeah, u gonna have to beat Slovaks or us. Our team needs a blow like that.
I don't think Russia really has a problem. I have a feeling that Bragin just uses these games to make players play defense in their own zone more, gives the puck to the opposition. There's only one important game in the group stage for Russia (on the contrary to the second group where there are 4 top teams- still think Czechs are better than SUI and SVK, in this group only Sweden and Russia are really good) so they know defense is their weak spot and Bragin tries to get it together for the most important games. After all they've allowed only one goal and goalie stats are great (on the contrary to Sweden that has allowed 7 goals vs Latvia and Switzerland and their goalie is a big question mark).

Look on that from this perspective- in pre-tournament games Russia scored more vs USA and Czechs as vs Slovaks and Swiss. I think they're just making preparations for the most important games. If Russia is not at top level in this game, I think vs Sweden you'll see a completely different Russia.

Though maybe there are just problems and I am imagining some Russian master plan of how to win this tournament.

Fulcrum

I don't think Russia really has a problem. I have a feeling that Bragin just uses these games to make players play defense in their own zone more, gives the puck to the opposition. There's only one important game in the group stage for Russia (on the contrary to the second group where there are 4 top teams- still think Czechs are better than SUI and SVK, in this group only Sweden and Russia are really good) so they know defense is their weak spot and Bragin tries to get it together for the most important games. After all they've allowed only one goal and goalie stats are great (on the contrary to Sweden that has allowed 7 goals vs Latvia and Switzerland and their goalie is a big question mark).

Look on that from this perspective- in pre-tournament games Russia scored more vs USA and Czechs as vs Slovaks and Swiss. I think they're just making preparations for the most important games. If Russia is not at top level in this game, I think vs Sweden you'll see a completely different Russia.

Though maybe there are just problems and I am imagining some Russian master plan of how to win this tournament.

I think you're giving Russia too much respect about the whole master plan.

The simplest explanation is usually the best.

It's a talented team that can win Despite having a poor game. That's what happened with US, Czech, Sui, Svk.

I keep talking about peak form, but that means a lot to Russian coaches. Ideally peak form hits around the finals, maybe a bit earlier.
Their "game organization" is also starting to click, but I would say that's the weakest part of the team right now and I'll be looking for that to improve tonight..

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
next night when I wont sleep :D would be better to start a game a few hours earlier :D

Dares

May 13, 2009
next night when I wont sleep :D would be better to start a game a few hours earlier :D

Been watching 1 full and most of other 2 matches on before Russian game...so when it gets to the actual game i stayed up for feel pretty tired :) well there never enough hockey so its all good :)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Been watching 1 full and most of other 2 matches on before Russian game...so when it gets to the actual game i stayed up for feel pretty tired :) well there never enough hockey so its all good :)

I have watched all games at this WJC.. I am up at night and sleeping during day :D

Dares

May 13, 2009
I have watched all games at this WJC.. I am up at night and sleeping during day :D

Watched full Fin vs USA ... Swe vs Swiss only 2 periods...missed the best (came back for overtime SO ) .... same only 2 periods for Can vs Czech..... gets too tiring, one game still 5 min left and another already starts. Need a break from laptop. :)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Russia haven't been that offensive this tournament, so I'm not expecting a blowout this time either. 5-1 Russia

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
On one hand, this game means nothing to Russia points-wise ('cause no matter if they win or lose, they will get the bye to the semis by beating Sweden ir regulation or OT/SO), but on the other hand, I don't expect Bragin's team to think about points and drop a game because they don't need any. Once again, I will repeat what I said before Latvia's opening game: if we won't allow too much goals and score a few, then I will be satisfied; 1-4 or 2-5 seems fair.

Though I'm always hoping for some points :D

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well if Russia were to lose this in regulation and beat Sweden in OT/SO then Sweden would get the spot(assuming Sweden beats Slovakia in Regulation). But yeah for the most part it means very little to Russia.

It means a little to latvia though. If they beat Russia and the Swiss then a Swiss win over Slovakia would put Latvia 3rd. But that probably won't happen

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
Well if Russia were to lose this in regulation and beat Sweden in OT/SO then Sweden would get the spot(assuming Sweden beats Slovakia in Regulation). But yeah for the most part it means very little to Russia.
Yep, you are right, I've mixed things up.

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
somewhere i heard that this game will not be shown on NTV+ in Russia is that true??
Why would they not show this game??

Let me know if anyone knows for sure.

RedAce

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I'd like for the Latvians to take it like they did a couple of years ago in exhibition play, but realistically, I'm going to predict 7-3 Russia. Hope I'm wrong though.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
somewhere i heard that this game will not be shown on NTV+ in Russia is that true??
Why would they not show this game??

Let me know if anyone knows for sure.

RedAce

No not showing any hockey which is ********, more than 15 sport channels and can not show Russia V Latvia, I will have to use Internet streams :shakehead

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
I think that realistically there's a bigger chance that team Russia had drank vodka all day and won't show up and we get 5-0 technical win than us winning against Russia in a game... Jokes aside, our players, of course, don't think so. Couple of goals would be nice, like vs Sweden...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad