Value of: Griffin Reinhart

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Tell me why they aren't.

What has Brady Skjei achieved in his brief pro career that would make him a bonafide top 4 prospect while Griffin Reinhart is only 'maybe a bottom pair guy'? Or what about Koekkoek? Anything?

The only thing Reinhart has is a high profile trade tied to him in a major hockey market. I'm not convinced either one of these guys is a full stride in front of the other currently.(Yeah...haha....I get it....a foot-speed joke)

Koekkoek was playing 10+ mins a game in the ECF last spring, that’s something isn’t it? And he just made the cut.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It was 2 bad moves for the team.
They drafted the winger (Yak) when they should have drafted the D (Murray) and traded for the D when they should have drafted the C (Barzal).

Just my opinion. Not the fans fault just questionable management choices.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They drafted the winger (Yak) when they should have drafted the D (Murray) and traded for the D when they should have drafted the C (Barzal).

Got them McDavid, so shrugs. You change one thing and likely multiple other things change, to get McDavid they needed to finish at that exact spot, at that exact point total.

Ryan Murray to be honest hasn't really lit the world on fire either, it's not like the Oilers would be in the playoffs with Ryan Murray.

Mad Brills*

The reinhart trade was made 2 months after winning mcdavid.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Got them McDavid, so shrugs. You change one thing and likely multiple other things change, to get McDavid they needed to finish at that exact spot, at that exact point total.

Ryan Murray to be honest hasn't really lit the world on fire either, it's not like the Oilers would be in the playoffs with Ryan Murray.

I doubt Murray would have been the difference today to stop you from getting McDavid.
Rielly didn't prevent us from 30th and drafting Matthews. However, in 3-5 years we are hoping for the difference. It still takes a team, even McDavid as great as he is needs depth and Murray/Barzal is infinitely > Reinhart + no Yak.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I doubt Murray would have been the difference today to stop you from getting McDavid.
Rielly didn't prevent us from 30th and drafting Matthews. However, in 3-5 years we are hoping for the difference. It still takes a team, even McDavid as great as he is needs depth and Murray/Barzal is infinitely > Reinhart + no Yak.

A difference of even six points (3 more wins) that season potentially means McDavid might be a Toronto Maple Leaf right now, so lol, you tell me if that's no difference at all.

If Murray can't even move the needle that much for the Oilers, then him over Yakupov really makes no difference any way.

Also, poor Connor only has Nugent Hopkins AND Drasaitl as his no.2/3 centers. They got basically Kris Russell for Nail Yakupov (that's basically the cap dump to add Russell), how much better is Ryan Murray at this stage really.

The player the Oilers needed most from that draft is probably Jacob Trouba, but no one was taking him in the top 5 so that's an extreme level of captain hindsight-ism.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Murray took a long development path to get where he is now.

There's no way that Oiler regime would have been as patient. They would have thrown him to the lions like they did with Yakupov and the other top picks.

I hope the Oilers learned their lesson and send Puljujarvi to the AHL for at least 3-4 months.

Reinhart is still young, D take long to develop and he still is salvageable, but he's got to work, and they Oilers can't gift him anything. The trade and the old boys club inside information that led to it hurts, but let's see if the player can turn the corner, the player and the poor managing are separate.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
even McDavid as great as he is needs depth and Murray/Barzal is infinitely > Reinhart + no Yak.

We're finished our rebuild. You are still in yours, you view things differently than we do.

Barzal wouldn't be in the lineup right now. Not even close, just a magic bean that's all at this point. We're trying to win games now.

Reinhart was a gamble. Yak had no future, he's been out played and beaten out. Even Pulju is likely in the AHL.

There's no point in trying to explain it, either you want to learn about where our team is right now. As of today, or you'd rather maintain how you think the Oiler "ought to be".

Chia is surrounding McDavid with the right players, don't worry :).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We're finished our rebuild. You are still in yours, you view things differently than we do.

Barzal wouldn't be in the lineup right now. Not even close, just a magic bean that's all at this point. We're trying to win games now.

Reinhart was a gamble. Yak had no future, he's been out played and beaten out. Even Pulju is likely in the AHL.

There's no point in trying to explain it, either you want to learn about where our team is right now. As of today, or you'd rather maintain how you think the Oiler "ought to be".

Chia is surrounding McDavid with the right players, don't worry :).

Don't assume that because I'm a Leaf fan that I live in Toronto and bash the Oilers. Or don't follow them as a West team and hope for their success. Every fan has a different view of where their team is, (We don't have to agree on it) and you need not explain. Even among the Leaf fan base their are many threads of the Leafs challenging for a playoff spot this year or the amount of points that Matthews/Marner and the rest will get. I don't agree with many of them so we all have different opinions of where we are.

Anyway, my post wasn't meant to bash the Oilers, just moves I don't agree with. We have plenty on our side as well.

I know where your team is, where it has been and the things they are trying to change/stop. You don't draft McDavid to keep finishing 30th.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Welp, for one, he's going to make it on a team that has a much better defense than yours. While Reinhart doesn't even look like he might ever make the NHL. Just saying.

Also, I hate you for making me praise the Rangers.

That being said, I thought it was mighty suspicious when Boychuk's brother tweeted "Thank god!" (paraphrasing) when the Reinhart trade was announced.

Nice hyperbole.

But with a roster spot seemingly set aside for him, the 22-year-old defenseman has deflated the hype a little bit, struggling through the early parts of preseason along with a few other members of the blueline corps. He knows his game isn’t up to snuff quite yet, and that could be a problem for the Blueshirts if it doesn’t get better.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/05/rangers-need-more-of-the-brady-skjei-who-took-playoffs-by-storm/

A 22-year-old struggling in training camp? Who else does that sound like?

Koekkoek was playing 10+ mins a game in the ECF last spring, that’s something isn’t it? And he just made the cut.

So he's a whole call up ahead of Reinhart. What's he worth, then? A fourth?

Reinhart looked good in many of his games last season averaging 18 minutes a night. With some consistency in Bakersfield down the stretch he's right back where Koekkoek is.

Where's the big gap, guys? If Reinhart's value is so much lower---prove it.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
He was already trending downwards at the time of the trade... Reinhart to the Oilers was one of those rumors that wouldn't go away, because apparently he was in consideration for the #1OA pick when they took Yak.

For Islander fans there were a year or two when it was "he's a top-5 pick, if you want him be prepared to overpay", to "can you give us this instead of that?" to "hey, you guys want Griffin?"

When the trade was announced, I was on edge a bit, because Boston had just made three mehhh picks and I wondered if Garth would try and be smarter than the room again and pick up some kid who was projected to go in the early 2nd instead of the BPA Barzal. When Barzy was taken, I knew this trade was gonna be a win for my Islanders, but I still thought that it would be a win for the Oilers as well. Maybe some of his developmental problems in Bridgeport could be alleviated by going to Edmonton, where he was more comfortable. Maybe the lack of defensive depth in Edmonton could grant him ice time, giving him on-the-job experience and eventually settling in as their stay-at-home guy.

But now, Reinhart seems to have not improved at all. And Beauvillier, the other guy we took besides Barzal, has a better shot of making the team this year according to our beat writer Arthur Staple. But honestly, that's hockey. Sometimes you get the Erat, sometimes you get the Forsberg. Sometimes you get the Gomez, sometimes you get the McDonagh. Sometimes you get the Reinhart, sometimes you get the Barzal + Beauvillier.

scott99

May 13, 2005
As an Isle's fan, didn't like the Reinhart pick (well documented on the Isle's board). I tried to like it after he was our property, but that doubt never went away. Never liked his skating and lack of passion. Just didn't think he was worthy of a 4th overall pick. Tried to justify the pick by thinking, well he reminds of an old Islander back in the day, Ken Morrow. 6'4" but rather use his stick than his body. I see that in Reinhart. And since he doesn't play with an edge, he seems passive and slow, just meh. Nothing there. Now, he can still develop, hopefully into a good defensive dman. Big Dmen take time. But he's really not showing anything. That lack of passion seems to be a trait holding Michael Dal Colle back as well.

I hope he works out for you guys, always liked the Oilers (except when they beat the Isles in the 1984 Cup Finals). I love watching McDavid, and like a lot of their prospects. But extremely happy with what the Isles got in return for Reinhart.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
As an Isle's fan, didn't like the Reinhart pick (well documented on the Isle's board). I tried to like it after he was our property, but that doubt never went away. Never liked his skating and lack of passion. Just didn't think he was worthy of a 4th overall pick. Tried to justify the pick by thinking, well he reminds of an old Islander back in the day, Ken Morrow. 6'4" but rather use his stick than his body. I see that in Reinhart. And since he doesn't play with an edge, he seems passive and slow, just meh. Nothing there. Now, he can still develop, hopefully into a good defensive dman. Big Dmen take time. But he's really not showing anything. That lack of passion seems to be a trait holding Michael Dal Colle back as well.

I hope he works out for you guys, always liked the Oilers (except when they beat the Isles in the 1984 Cup Finals). I love watching McDavid, and like a lot of their prospects. But extremely happy with what the Isles got in return for Reinhart.

This is a fair comment.

It should be mentioned that Griffin had 62 hits in his 29 games last season so it's quite possible the passivity in his game has been acknowledged.

In regards to Dal Colle, I was more impressed with his game in his draft year than I was of anyone else I'd seen live that year (including McDavid). I'm not sure what's happened to him, but I'm certain he finds a role.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What are Brady Skjei and Slater Koekkoek worth?

These player has nothing to do with the OP . Value is what you can trade a player for on the open market . Yakupov value is 3rd/2nd and a nothing prospects . Hall is worth a RHD somewhere around 20 to 30th best D man in the NHL ( Debatable ) But i see Larsson in this range .

Reinhart's value is less then what the Oilers gave up for him but until he is traded the HF fans are guessing .

Like all fans bases people tend to overvalue their own , but value wise fans of other teams have been more accurate then Oilers fans when it comes to our players , but what most don't take into account is the signing we made with the additional cap space .

Hall trade doesn't happen if Lucic doesn't sign with us ..... So Lucic + Larsson for Hall but I still think Puljujarvi made the decision easier .

Yakupov trade is for a 2nd/3rd + a nothing prospect + the Russel signing .

Reinhart skating may never be NHL level but he is a smart player and could help younger guys develop in the AHL and that in it's self has value

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Chia panicked on this one. He knew he needed a defenseman so he traded two high picks to obtain one that looks to be at best a bottom pairing guy. He should have used the picks to draft a couple of defensemen or packaged them up with some other assets to get a true top four guy. Instead he needed to trade Hall the following year to get one.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Why would they have drafted Barzal? Barzal is a small skilled center with defensive issues that's the opposite of the type of player they need. They would have taken Connor or the Russian guy Detroit ended up with.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Tell me why they aren't.

What has Brady Skjei achieved in his brief pro career that would make him a bonafide top 4 prospect while Griffin Reinhart is only 'maybe a bottom pair guy'? Or what about Koekkoek? Anything?

The only thing Reinhart has is a high profile trade tied to him in a major hockey market. I'm not convinced either one of these guys is a full stride in front of the other currently.(Yeah...haha....I get it....a foot-speed joke)

TIL Puljujarvi = Frederic = Filip Helt since they all have accomplished the same amount in the NHL :sarcasm:

Seriously though, do you not understand the concept of a player being better than another?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

No, but at this point Murray is actually a useful, contributing NHL player who provides a solid defensive presence and still has plenty of room to grow. Which is more than can be said for Reinhart or Yakupov (both of whom were guys we were repeatedly told we were FOOLS to not somehow trade for/take instead).

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I love all of these Islander and even a Columbus and Senator poster coming in here all cocky and bashing (not discussing) draft picks. Talk about hypocritical.

Anyways... I think Chiarelli screwed up here. To trade 16 & 33 in what was said to be a deep draft, with some very good players surprisingly available at 16 (thanks to some off the board earlier picks) you should have been able to get a D prospect who was trending up not down or at least one with a more balanced skill set. I wouldn't doubt MacT and Lowe had a lot to do with that trade as they were high on Reinhart (watching him play with the Oil Kings) and Chiarelli was very new to the organization, but I am not going to make excuses... Chiarelli was the GM and he decided to make that move - if he was not comfortable with it he should not have made the trade. I was not a fan of the trade then and even less so a year later.

Reinhart, IMO, is not worth more than a 3rd rounder at this point. His ceiling is a 3rd pairing D.

Who bashed the Oilers draft picks? What thread are you reading lol. The only draft pick bashing is voxel bashing the Isles top 5 picks.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Why would they have drafted Barzal? Barzal is a small skilled center with defensive issues that's the opposite of the type of player they need. They would have taken Connor or the Russian guy Detroit ended up with.

I think they would've taken Svechnikov at 15 and Carlo at 33.

the Svechnikov part is based on that being rumored who they liked, and the Carlo part cause it would've made so much sense. A WHL RHD would've been right up their alley.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I hated the trade the day it happened, I still hate it now. Two huge picks that could have done wonders for our organizational depth, which we've desperately needed for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad