Waived: Greening Waived

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cheechoo was pretty skilled was he not? when i play on an international size ice i notice skill becomes way more important then hockey iq and making quick smart decisions like on an NHL ice. there is just so much more room to skate and shoot

What is bizarre is that, at least as far as his tenure with the Senators was concerned, Cheechoo was one of the worst skaters out there.

StefanW said:
But Cheechoo was excellent for a while in the NHL. Greening was always marginal by comparison, although he did pile up points riding a great Spezza season that one year.

Bochenski was also in the top 10, no?

It's all ex-Senators over there. :biglaugh:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Cheechoo was pretty skilled was he not? when i play on an international size ice i notice skill becomes way more important then hockey iq and making quick smart decisions like on an NHL ice. there is just so much more room to skate and shoot

Yeah, this was the point I was trying to make. Although it does seem odd because Cheechoo looked like he was skating in molasses toward the end of his NHL time.

Greening doesn't seem to have the tools to succeed over there, but he is a Sens cast off so I guess you never know.

It's all ex-Senators over there. :biglaugh:

Yeah, there is that. :biglaugh:

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I am sure the KHL scouts are circling.

doubt KHL pays more than 2.4 and 3.1 over the next two years. He's best served to play out his remaining years and then head over.

Nothing wrong with that, a contract is a contract. Still don't think he is the sharpest at identifying his strengths and weaknesses

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Greening already has several millions. You can make a lot of things with money. I am not too worried for him...

Probably much smarter than most on this board! :)

Probably? Not only he is "probably" much smarter than most of us, he also probably much better at hockey.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
doubt KHL pays more than 2.4 and 3.1 over the next two years. He's best served to play out his remaining years and then head over.

Nothing wrong with that, a contract is a contract. Still don't think he is the sharpest at identifying his strengths and weaknesses

Assuming he hasn't blown all his money, the guy should have close to $10MM, a degree from Cornell (ever heard of it?). He can probably just hang them up and have a pretty nice start to his non-hockey life rather than moving to Russia

6a00d8341c51c053ef01310f84cd3e970c-pi

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Let's all remember a few things:

1) Greening got to play hockey at the highest level while getting paid handsomely to do so. Most of us slug away at jobs that drain our souls for a fraction of the money he made. How many of you would love, love to play a game as a way to make a living? He did, no matter how long it lasted.

2) While it's too bad he never evolved, or couldn't evolve, his game, getting demoted happens. He isn't the first guy to have shown promise, get a great contract, and then slowly fade out of the league... and he won't be the last.

3) There are indeed all types of intelligences (they ram the concept of 'mutliple intelligences' down the throats of all teacher's college students to help teachers realize that students are all often smart in their own way), and he has shown that, in the NHL, he doesn't quite have the level of intelligence that other players do. I'd wager however that if you (the general 'you' on this board) stepped on the ice with him, you'd be shocked by how 'intelligent' he is on the ice. Just compared to other NHLers, he's not quite there. He's also smart enough to have made it through a tough program at a good school, so he's got book smarts which can translate well in real life. Assuming anything about his intelligence off the ice is ridiculous and is of no value in this discussion.

4) He seems smart enough (and with the assumption that he applied theory to practice from his university studies) to have done smart things with his money... Broke 30 for 30 dealt with a lot of types of athletes... but rarely do you hear of a hockey player who has squandered millions away the same way other athletes have. If he was truly smart, he would have given himself an 'allowance' out of his salary... a friend's cousin who played close to 10 years in the NHL as a 4th line guy did this with the help of his father (someone with financial know-how)... his 'allowance' was a ridiculous amount of money compared to what I get to play with... and now he never has to work again if he doesn't want to, the money he saved is working for him.

5) This was way too long. Those of you who made it through this... thanks for reading.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Assuming he hasn't blown all his money, the guy should have close to $10MM, a degree from Cornell (ever heard of it?). He can probably just hang them up and have a pretty nice start to his non-hockey life rather than moving to Russia

6a00d8341c51c053ef01310f84cd3e970c-pi

You can probably cut that in half after taxes, more like $5 mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad