Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Doesn't change the fact they didn't draft him thinking, "good we got a bottom 6er here!"
Agreed. They may have said oh we know we have a guy that worst case scenario will be a bottom 6 guy, but they are definitely hoping for more.

And I do to some extent think Stevie went for guys that had maybe slightly lower ceilings but much higher floors than some players available, because if you completely miss on those higher picks (like Zadina) it is a big blow to your rebuild.

Even if Kasper doesn't end up as a top 6 guy, you still have a high energy 3rd line, physically engaged center with at least some offensive instinct. Those are still critical guys to building a winning team, and hard to get as FA without having to overpay (see Copp and to a slightly less degree Compher).

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
You never know when you draft 18 years old. Zadina supposed to be superstar , Zetterberg was seven round pick.
Rasmussen was also drafted high
There’s a reason tons of posters have you blocked man.

No one and their momma thought Kasper was a “bottom 6” type of player when drafted. Everyone thought “ top 6 with tenacity”.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There’s a reason tons of posters have you blocked man.

No one and their momma thought Kasper was a “bottom 6” type of player when drafted. Everyone thought “ top 6 with tenacity”.
Maybe the way I explained, I always liked Kasper, and was happy with pick . Kasper is not bottom 6, Veleno and Ras is, he's middle six just like Danielson. Kasper is more like Helm or Fillpula than Zetterberg, doesn't means I don't like Helm, I thought he was very important for RW

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Maybe the way I explained, I always liked Kasper, and was happy with pick . Kasper is not bottom 6, Veleno and Ras is, he's middle six just like Danielson. Kasper is more like Helm or Fillpula than Zetterberg, doesn't means I don't like Helm, I thought he was very important for RW
There is a big difference between Flip and Helm. Helm was a bottom 6, best in a 4th line energy role kind of guy. Flip was a legit 2nd line guy or high end 3rd line guy.

With that said I think Flip is a good example of why you maybe leave Kasper to overcook a bit in GR. Flip was brought up early compared to most other forwards of that era because he played very solid defense, but I always felt that stymied his offensive development a bit. He got used to playing that 3rd line more defensive center role and was never able to find his offense. He'd show flashes and had a couple of solid years at 50+ points, but I always thought he had more skill than he'd show. Flip put up really solid numbers in GR too but may have used another year of refining his offensive game even though he put up 70s pts (Granted the 05/06 team was way higher scoring 5 players over 70, 9 over 50 vs 1 player over 50 on this team).

Reactions: lilidk

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm going to the Griffins game here in Chicago tomorrow night against the Wolves. What should I watch for?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I'm going to the Griffins game here in Chicago tomorrow night against the Wolves. What should I watch for?
See if Berggren, Mazur, Kasper, and/or Soderblom are better overall hockey players than ZAR.

See if you're impressed be AlJo and/or Wallinder.

If Cossa plays, does he seem more composed and/or technically sound than you think/thought he'd be.

Hotdogs still cheap?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Detroit's defense is awful see how close you think any of the defensemen are to making the roster. See if you think any of the forwards could make the bottom 6 next season.
I was all for Kasper, Mazur and Berggren play next season in NHL, but now maybe the best scenario for them is to move together with Watson , but probably not next season

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Berggren being harrassed and had his stock whacked off his hands and no call lmao

Everyone on the Ice comes to Berggren's aide in a scrum

Man yzermans gotta toughen up the wings
1712970753139.jpeg

Attachments

• 1712970733754.jpeg
    1712970733754.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Berggren being harrassed and had his stock whacked off his hands and no call lmao

Everyone on the Ice comes to Berggren's aide in a scrum

Man yzermans gotta toughen up the wings
I believe only 2 smaller guys Raymond and ASP were drafted by Yzerman in first 2 rounds

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Agreed. They may have said oh we know we have a guy that worst case scenario will be a bottom 6 guy, but they are definitely hoping for more.

And I do to some extent think Stevie went for guys that had maybe slightly lower ceilings but much higher floors than some players available, because if you completely miss on those higher picks (like Zadina) it is a big blow to your rebuild.

Even if Kasper doesn't end up as a top 6 guy, you still have a high energy 3rd line, physically engaged center with at least some offensive instinct. Those are still critical guys to building a winning team, and hard to get as FA without having to overpay (see Copp and to a slightly less degree Compher).
I think a realistic comparison for Kasper is Perron maybe his ceiling is even higher but, I'd be happy with a young prime Perron

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
We're going to go with another rookie NHL coach, isn't 2 enough to learn our lesson on this?
Let's see how he does with GR, if can run the bench better than the last 2 wings coaches and by the time he takes over (25-26 or the next year), he would have coached a number of next crop of players, so why not?

I have not seen Dan in action at all, but if he is in tune with the game ebb and flows better than Lalonde and willing to respond with timely use his time outs or know when to juggle lines as part of his growth through the Wall's and the Griff's, he will be what the team needs.

I think the wings are still at least 3-4 years away from being serious cup candidates, so there is time to still bring in a "results on the ice coach if needed" by then if required, but there is a lot of building and developing to do yet over the next few years.

I would hope SY is developing more than just players as part of this building process, and every coach that has ever coached in the NHL was once a rookie.

Reactions: lilidk

Christien

May 1, 2010
Pretty confident Lombardi will be a top 9 player in the NHL at this point. Obviously needs to get stronger this offseason, but he's been great recently already winning a ton of battles

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty confident Lombardi will be a top 9 player in the NHL at this point. Obviously needs to get stronger this offseason, but he's been great recently already winning a ton of battles

The guy with 24 AHL pts? He is 165 lbs and isn't lighting up the AHL, how is he an NHL player hopeful right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad