Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
One assist?? Hes been playing great for a while now ,played with men for 2 seasons in the shl already and an ahl season under his belt

No doubt he can play in the league, he also brings a style of game we need. Too many soft f*cks on this team. Trust me I'd trade copp with retention in a heart beat if I could and put kasper at 3c next season

AHL website now has game logs for players:

2A in last 5 games, that's not enough consistency to be an NHLer. That's Copp like stats, except Kasper is in the AHL. You can cuss all you want, he's not getting promoted until he does better.

Stevie's gonna wind up signing another stop gap UFA again this summer. Watch.

Reactions: SantosHalper

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway

2A in last 5 games, that's not enough consistency to be an NHLer. That's Copp like stats, except Kasper is in the AHL. You can cuss all you want, he's not getting promoted until he does better.

I don't believe you have seen him play much.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

I ain't cussing lmao you can show up game logs all you want wont change the fact he can play as 3 c next season no problem

Watch lmao hes already overpaid and gave long deals to copp and compher and has 2 c's top 10 picks a few years away but hes going to sign another guy

Lmao sure ...0 chance . Only chance of that happening is if they get rid of copp and I still dont see it

Reactions: wings95 and David D

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I ain't cussing lmao you can show up game logs all you want wont change the fact he can play as 3 c next season no problem

Watch lmao hes already overpaid and gave long deals to copp and compher and has 2 c's top 10 picks a few years away but hes going to sign another guy

Lmao sure ...0 chance . Only chance of that happening is if they get rid of copp and I still dont see it

Everyone here knows I hate Copp, but Kasper isn't ready. He'll be in GR at least half a season unless he lights it up like Stankoven did. Bring Kasper up now and he won't look any better than Joey or Raz playing 3C.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Everyone here knows I hate Copp, but Kasper isn't ready. He'll be in GR at least half a season unless he lights it up like Stankoven did. Bring Kasper up now and he won't look any better than Joey or Raz playing 3C.
Technically yes but Kasper has much more spark and energy than those 2

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Technically yes but Kasper has much more spark and energy than those 2

Raz has energy, he's just not good at utilizing it because he doesn't hit well. No idea what's going on with Joey foot stomper.

The point was we don't need another Joey or Raz or Copp. We need Kasper to generate offense.

The team does need an energy guy, it'd be nice if Stevie could pick someone like Helm in the lower rounds. Speed and willingness to hit (at least before his back injury). Kenny would occasionally pick a kid solely based on speed (Helm/AA/Jensen), Stevie needs to do the same.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kasper needs to be more of an offensive force at the AHL level before you put him in the NHL. I think more minutes and a .75 PPG or better season in the AHL next year is the best thing for his development with where he is currently at. No need to rush him to the NHL just to put him in a bottom 6 role.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Raz has energy, he's just not good at utilizing it because he doesn't hit well. No idea what's going on with Joey foot stomper.

The point was we don't need another Joey or Raz or Copp. We need Kasper to generate offense.

The team does need an energy guy, it'd be nice if Stevie could pick someone like Helm in the lower rounds. Speed and willingness to hit (at least before his back injury). Kenny would occasionally pick a kid solely based on speed (Helm/AA/Jensen), Stevie needs to do the same.
Believe Dylan James is what you are looking for.

• Haha
Reactions: David D

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Kasper needs to be more of an offensive force at the AHL level before you put him in the NHL. I think more minutes and a .75 PPG or better season in the AHL next year is the best thing for his development with where he is currently at. No need to rush him to the NHL just to put him in a bottom 6 role.
Kasper is bottom 6 when we draft him, he is not one who creates offense he is one who helps more skill players who plays with him to be better .

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kasper is bottom 6 when we draft him, he is not one who creates offense he is one who helps more skill players who plays with him to be better .

I doubt Stevie used the #8OA pick with the intent of picking a bottom 6 player.

Savoie was the other kid people were talking about pre-draft, he got a point in 5 out of 6 AHL games before getting sent back down to juniors.

Anyways, I don't understand the rush to put Kasper in the NHL, there's literally one player drafted after him playing full time in the NHL.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I doubt Stevie used the #8OA pick with the intent of picking a bottom 6 player.

Savoie was the other kid people were talking about pre-draft, he got a point in 5 out of 6 AHL games before getting sent back down to juniors.

Anyways, I don't understand the rush to put Kasper in the NHL, there's literally one player drafted after him playing full time in the NHL.
To me it's Kasper experience and learning from the best. Don't know if Kane will be here next season. It's only few more games.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Wasn't aware you hated copp but I assume 90% of ppl do lmao. hated him the day he signed and got shit for saying we paid almost 6 per for a 40 pt guy and ppl were convinced he was so much better offensively... f*cken sad

Veleno is garbage and wont be a wing for long,Rasmussen will be another overpaid 4th liner by the time his deal ends if hes still here

Were going to have to agree to disagree on kasper. Plenty of rookies start off as 3 c and move up. Alot of 19 year olds spend 3-4 seasons in the juniors ,hes had 3 years playing with men

Give me a kid line on the 3rd line with mazur/soderblom kasper berggren over these vets any day of the week

? Larkin raymond
Debrincat compher kane
Soderblom/mazur kasper berggren
Rasmussen veleno duhaime

1st line winger is the question mark which I'd try to address by landing a physical power forward type. I'd much rather go with that lineup than what we currently have

Adios Perron copp fabbri Fischer czarnik and god knows what other scrap I'm missing. Sprong 2.25-2.5 x2 might be something to consider but I think the way hes being used that ship has sailed

Give that 2 mill to a duhaime who can go around knocking some guys

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Yzerman never went in with the internation to draft a bottom 6 guy at 8 lmao only some fans bought into that

I remember pushing for kasper at 8 for a long time and fans against it. Looks like some ppl are still under estimating him. I suspect in a few years that'll change.

That kid will just keep getting better and better

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Red Savage as well.
Think owen allard can be a good 4th line piece as well if we draft him. He had nice chemistry with danielson on team Canada who'll be ahead of him on the lineup but could be a good penalty kill duo

We need to start getting pieces to form the next grind line . We all remember the hall of Famers but the grind line was a key piece to winning those cups

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
A 4C role for Lalonde is not the same as a 4C for many other coaches. He rolls lines. Changes usage for matchups that turns a third line into a second line. It's often the wingers, more than the center, who dictate whether it's a third line or fourth line in a game. Line projections based on what happens in a Wings' practice tell you very little about how the lines will be used.

There are obvious ways to get two fast kids with size into next year's lineup. They don't even have to play center. Kasper's actually been pretty consistent since mid-November, just very few big games. Only six games where he's scored more than a point. GR is not an offensive juggernaut. They're like 20th in the league in GF. They're a defensive team and Kasper is a big part of that. Nonetheless his production since Jan. 1 has been the same or better as what got first-rounders Zibanejad and Miller promoted in their AHL rookie seasons. The same as what got Glendening and Sheahan promoted from GR early in their second pro season to play bottom six in Detroit. It wasn't starting out in a bottom six role that held Sheahan back. He had a good start to his career, he just didn't have it in him to adapt and develop beyond that.

The possibility of SY signing a stop-gap C this summer is not some big insight. Their bottom six C's the last couple months have included an AHLer and Fischer. All but two centers on the team are better as wingers, and Compher might be too.. There's probably two holes at C and SY might break out in hives at the thought of one rookie C to start next season let alone two.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I assume you guys watch Big 10 hockey, how's Red's skating?
And my axe!

Um, it’s good enough. Not a weakness but not really a strength. Solid base, with good edgework and a good first three steps. He’s not clunky, looks smooth enough, but he’s not a burner either. He’s got a good motor, and some tenacity/puck-pursuit, which lets his skating play up a little. Almost like a little Robby Fabbri in him in terms of getting after it and seeming maybe a little faster than he actually is.

His skating style works for the game he plays. It’s not a weapon, but it’s good enough to allow him to play his game. We’ll see how that transitions up to the pro game, but I think he’ll be ok.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
You never draft a first round pick with the hope they only become a bottom 6 guy, that is silly. He may become that, but they 100% expect him to be better than that.
You never know when you draft 18 years old. Zadina supposed to be superstar , Zetterberg was seven round pick.
Rasmussen was also drafted high

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Believe Dylan James is what you are looking for.

Yep, hes definitely cut from the same cloth. Hes kind of the type of player that wont have stats but people who watch him play will come away from the game thinking hes going to play in the NHL because of his speed/physicality/defensive play combo.

Another guy that wasnt mentioned that is similar is Kevin Bicker. Hes one of the prospects I would love to see play somewher else to actually get a read on him, I really liked him at the world juniors

Red Savage as well.
I actually havent thought Savage has that same style. He could be a solid player, but I dont get same energy level from him that I do some others. Hes a little bit of a different style of play that mixes in some more skill and less energy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad