Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Good, now hopefully they get some big minutes down there. Wouldn't mind seeing Ras sent there rather than not playing for the Wings, too.

I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised by Ras. I really still don't see him as a center.
But I've counted at least 2 zone entries... which might be 2 more than he had in his rookie year.
I wish the guy had a temper. I hate seeing him get pushed and xchecked.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised by Ras. I really still don't see him as a center.
But I've counted at least 2 zone entries... which might be 2 more than he had in his rookie year.
I wish the guy had a temper. I hate seeing him get pushed and xchecked.

Does anyone on the Wings play with a bit of a temper? Mantha does when he's really on, but he also gets hurt every time. I doubt we're going to spend heavily on UFA in the near future but instead of bringing in a bunch of guys who are just flat mediocre it wouldn't be the worst thing to bring in a guy or two with a pulse. Get a couple of tone setters and guys like Ras, Svech, and Smith might discover some grit of their own.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Winger I have to agree with you. That’s why I’d like to see McIlrath sitting on the middle of our bench. When he was up a couple years ago he wasn’t brutal. When Seider gets here and lays out his first opponent the other team will be all over him because that’s what you do in the nhl now even if it’s lethal. Are we just going to let him fend for himself?

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Winger I have to agree with you. That’s why I’d like to see McIlrath sitting on the middle of our bench. When he was up a couple years ago he wasn’t brutal. When Seider gets here and lays out his first opponent the other team will be all over him because that’s what you do in the nhl now even if it’s lethal. Are we just going to let him fend for himself?

In my opinion, every rebuild needs "that" guy. Not exactly an enforcer, but a guy that will respond and win a fight.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Does anyone on the Wings play with a bit of a temper? Mantha does when he's really on, but he also gets hurt every time. I doubt we're going to spend heavily on UFA in the near future but instead of bringing in a bunch of guys who are just flat mediocre it wouldn't be the worst thing to bring in a guy or two with a pulse. Get a couple of tone setters and guys like Ras, Svech, and Smith might discover some grit of their own.
Lil Bert and Hronek r both hotheads but its hard to get that worked up all the time when the team sucks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They asked Seider last year if he was worried about a fight coming for the way he was hitting. Mo's answer was "He was excited for that to happen." A few injuries aside which maybe the Mantha crowd should start worrying about, I am not worried about who is going to fight Seider's battles. I also think as a guy that will quickly gain star status, there won't be a shortage of guys not really willing to watch that go down either. The boys don't respond well when the other team crosses the line on Larkin(unfortunately we have seen it once or twice but not frequent in my opinion), I expect a similar reaction with Seider and probably more importantly Raymond. Larkin, Mantha, Seider, Bert aren't guys you actually really want to fight, not saying they are awesome at it or going to dominate, but the point is the other players especially in this trimmed down league where less of them fight aren't going to want a guy that is scrappy or powerful. We haven't built a small team, Yzerman will alter that in some aspects, but my guess is having seen how they capped off his Tampa build, he might be searching for more jam this go round anyway.

By the way, Smith is going to be on the team full-time next year in a 4th line role. He is the kind of player we are discussing. We do have one of those guys in the development pipeline. I think he has shown that in glimpses already at the NHL level.

I do agree with people wishing Ras would play a little meaner. I think it would take his game to the next level, I thought he was more physical towards the end before being sent down. I know it isn't totally his makeup, but I would love for one of the old guys from the Wings organization to tell him how just being that way on the ice could seriously take his game to a different more important to a team and coach level.

The Griffins look like they could be a very physical bunch this year. I do hope a few guys notable Ras and Svech choose to play a crushing below the goal-line style.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They asked Seider last year if he was worried about a fight coming for the way he was hitting. Mo's answer was "He was excited for that to happen." A few injuries aside which maybe the Mantha crowd should start worrying about, I am not worried about who is going to fight Seider's battles. I also think as a guy that will quickly gain star status, there won't be a shortage of guys not really willing to watch that go down either. The boys don't respond well when the other team crosses the line on Larkin(unfortunately we have seen it once or twice but not frequent in my opinion), I expect a similar reaction with Seider and probably more importantly Raymond. Larkin, Mantha, Seider, Bert aren't guys you actually really want to fight, not saying they are awesome at it or going to dominate, but the point is the other players especially in this trimmed down league where less of them fight aren't going to want a guy that is scrappy or powerful. We haven't built a small team, Yzerman will alter that in some aspects, but my guess is having seen how they capped off his Tampa build, he might be searching for more jam this go round anyway.

By the way, Smith is going to be on the team full-time next year in a 4th line role. He is the kind of player we are discussing. We do have one of those guys in the development pipeline. I think he has shown that in glimpses already at the NHL level.

I do agree with people wishing Ras would play a little meaner. I think it would take his game to the next level, I thought he was more physical towards the end before being sent down. I know it isn't totally his makeup, but I would love for one of the old guys from the Wings organization to tell him how just being that way on the ice could seriously take his game to a different more important to a team and coach level.

The Griffins look like they could be a very physical bunch this year. I do hope a few guys notable Ras and Svech choose to play a crushing below the goal-line style.

It's a lesson I'm somewhat surprised Yzerman has had a hard time with considering the teams he played on early in his career, the teams he was on that fell short, and how that team changed into the multiple Cup winning team in 97-99. Considering he was a guy who skated with Probert, Gallant, and Kocur, went up against Gretzky when he had Semenko watching his back, and won Cups with an assortment of sandpaper guys... .

With the guys coming up and in the system, I'll wait and see if the are actually given a shot to make it and aren't ushered out the door in some form or another in short order.

lgrwmike

Dec 28, 2007
Deerfield Beach, FL
ahltv210202-1200x800.jpg

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have there been any lines or practice lines posted?

Hoping to see Rasmussen and Svechnikov on line 1.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
The D looks pretty good in GR, but yikes...the lack of vets up front is going to be an issue. They are probably hoping to let Ras play 1st C minutes and when Veleno comes over he will be the 2C but still expected at least 1 or 2 more scoring vets to be signed. Criscuolo and Elson won't cut it offensively.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The D looks pretty good in GR, but yikes...the lack of vets up front is going to be an issue. They are probably hoping to let Ras play 1st C minutes and when Veleno comes over he will be the 2C but still expected at least 1 or 2 more scoring vets to be signed. Criscuolo and Elson won't cut it offensively.
They need Nielsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia