Celebrity Death: Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Just heard they were playing The Hip and the Kings game tonight. So awesome.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

I was there last October and I'm really glad they recorded it. I couldn't figure out who to watch, Gord or the film, but settled on Gord pretty quick since the film was going to be shown a few days later. This special last night was great because it was going back and forth.

I went to the Secret Path Richmond Hill event last night and Gord's older brother Mike spoke. It was really touching. He said the outpouring of love has helped the family but is also hard for them because they know that a lot of people are grieving.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I was at one of the Toronto shows last summer, I listened to the final Kingston show on the radio from my cottage, but it didn't hit me until I was watching that documentary on Friday.

You always hear cancer diagnosis and as I have yet to be personally touched by it, I think to myself "well sure, but who knows with this stuff? Maybe he lives another decade?" I always had this sort of cynical, but kind of hopeful niggling in the back of my brain that this wouldn't really be it.

Watching that documentary though, knowing what he knew was coming, seeing the long shots of him staring at the crowd and knowing that he would never do this again, knowing he was going to die soon.....I was literally bawling. The kinda cry that you feel better for having gotten out of your system, but I was full on sobbing at points.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I was at one of the Toronto shows last summer, I listened to the final Kingston show on the radio from my cottage, but it didn't hit me until I was watching that documentary on Friday.

You always hear cancer diagnosis and as I have yet to be personally touched by it, I think to myself "well sure, but who knows with this stuff? Maybe he lives another decade?" I always had this sort of cynical, but kind of hopeful niggling in the back of my brain that this wouldn't really be it.

Watching that documentary though, knowing what he knew was coming, seeing the long shots of him staring at the crowd and knowing that he would never do this again, knowing he was going to die soon.....I was literally bawling. The kinda cry that you feel better for having gotten out of your system, but I was full on sobbing at points.

I saw the documentary a few times in theatres and welled up a few times but watching it at home Friday night, by myself, I was a mess. When Karyn Ruiz was putting the liner in his hat that said "Done and done/Night Accomplished/If I had a wish/I'd wish for more of this" just made it so final.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Just purchased Yer Favorites at Sunrise for the ride home last night.My day is complete.
Just a shame that the song Bring It All Back is not on Yer Favorites, not sure how that song never made it there. It's one of their best songs ever.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Pretty depressing state of affairs when the mods have to lock up a tribute thread on the main boards due to people coming in to run the band down, call them mediocre and suggest that we are all fans just because the media tells us we should be.

Meh.

I accepted long ago that the main board is pretty terrible, especially when it comes to non-hockey stuff.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Pretty depressing state of affairs when the mods have to lock up a tribute thread on the main boards due to people coming in to run the band down, call them mediocre and suggest that we are all fans just because the media tells us we should be.

Idiots. It has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with us loving the music and especially Gord. He was a very special person, so warm and kind.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just a shame that the song Bring It All Back is not on Yer Favorites, not sure how that song never made it there. It's one of their best songs ever.

The Hip have a few new songs and also some unreleased material. I hope Get Back Again is on it. They have so many great songs that never made it to albums.

I am waiting for Introduce Yerself as well as the CD of CMG and Battle to arrive in the mail. A number of my friends received notification that their items are about to be shipped but so far, I haven't.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah that was pretty f***ed up tbh.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
MacLean's has put out a beautiful commemorative issue about Gord. 100 pages with no ads, just photos and articles. $9.99 at most places but Walmart has it as one of their 3 for $10 magazines and Costco has it for $6.99. The cover is really durable, front and back. It is making it's way to stores across Canada so if you don't find it right away, go back in a day or two.

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/presenting-our-gord-downie-special-commemorative-issue/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad