Celebrity Death: Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
downie.hockey.jpg

The man loved hockey.
I love him despite the fact he was a Bruins fan.

Reactions: Mitts and NyQuil

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
RIP

He actually lived longer than most who have this disease.

My grandmother died of a glyoblastoma 6 months after being diagnosed in 2001. There are better treatments now that allow for a longer and better lifespan. If I remember when my grandmother had it, the 5 year survival rate was about 4-5% and it has now doubled to about 10%. Still not great and it is ultimately terminal but we can only hope science keeps finding new and better ways of helping people survive.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
upload_2017-10-18_10-6-47.png

Hip Hip Hip Hip Hip Hip Hip Hip ....

"You kind of beat to death the inevitability of death, just a little bit" G.D.

Google images: Gord Downie Hockey

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
RIP

He actually lived longer than most who have this disease.

Based on the extremely small sample size of people who I know who've had it, it seems as though Gord lived a lot less than they did. That's why this news rattled me more than it generally would for a terminal diagnosis. Seemed about at least two years too soon.

EDIT: Just looked it up -- generally it is 12 to 15 months. Gord had it for 17 months. So yes, he did live longer. Less than 5% survive five years (one of the ones I know survived almost four years with it).

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
My grandmother died of a glyoblastoma 6 months after being diagnosed in 2001. There are better treatments now that allow for a longer and better lifespan. If I remember when my grandmother had it, the 5 year survival rate was about 4-5% and it has now doubled to about 10%. Still not great and it is ultimately terminal but we can only hope science keeps finding new and better ways of helping people survive.

I believe the current survival rates are generally between 14 & 16 months for the majority of patients diagnosed. Gord lived about 22 months with the disease. This kind of tumor doesn't have the "snowball" effect most other cancers have. It expands via these tentacle-like fingers in between brain matter, which makes a lot of them inoperable. Really, really difficult to treat.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
October 18 ! (was September 17).

"Fiddler's Green" (Dedicated by me to his 4 kids)

September seventeen October eighteen
For a girl I know it's Father's Day
Her dad has gone alee
And that's where he will stay
The wind on the weathervane
Tearing blue eyes sailor mean
As Falstaff sings a sorrowful refrain
For a dad in Fiddler's Green

His tiny knotted brain
Well, I guess it never worked too good
The timber tore apart
And the water gorged the wood
You can hear her whispered prayer
For men at masts that always lean
The same wind that moves her hair
Moves her Dad through Fiddler's Green

Nothing's changed anyway
Nothing's changed anyway
Any time today

He doesn't know a soul
There's nowhere that he's really been
But he won't travel long alone
No, not in Fiddler's Green
Balloons all filled with rain
As children's eyes turn sleepy mean
And Falstaff sings a sorrowful refrain
For a Dad in Fiddler's Green

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I believe the current survival rates are generally between 14 & 16 months for the majority of patients diagnosed. Gord lived about 22 months with the disease. This kind of tumor doesn't have the "snowball" effect most other cancers have. It expands via these tentacle-like fingers in between brain matter, which makes a lot of them inoperable. Really, really difficult to treat.
They also grow back extremely fast. In my grandmother's case they removed almost all of it and within 3 months it was already back to close to the same size. The median survival rate is said to be about 14.6 months and the two year rate is 30% so ya not great and is depends on what type of glioblastoma. I don't remember what kind he had, my grandmother's was a glioblastoma multiforme.

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
October 18 ! (was September 17).

"Fiddler's Green"

September seventeen October eighteen October seventeen
For a girl I know it's Father's Day
Her dad has gone alee
And that's where he will stay
The wind on the weathervane
Tearing blue eyes sailor mean
As Falstaff sings a sorrowful refrain
For a dad in Fiddler's Green

Reactions: 18Hossa

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Was expecting that, The Prime Minister was a huge fan.
And went to the last concert !

In the history of music, when the lead singer gets diagnosed with terminal cancer (brain cancer (diagnosed after a seizure)), the band respectfully cancels the tour and future tours. #sadnews
Gord, after his diagnosis, put a rush order on a new tour, "So he could get it in".
#hardcore #TotalPro
Thank you Gord et. al.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
We knew this was coming, but not going to lie, I didn't expect it to be this quick. Sad day.

I admit I was never a fan of their music, but Gord was a genuinely nice/great guy, and he was a Canadian icon. May he rest in peace.

...and I didn't expect him to live this long.

Still doesn't take away any of the sting.

Lahey and Downie two days apart... it's too much to take.

BarryManilowDethCult

I admire its purity.......
Feb 25, 2016
Dante's 5th Circle
Growing up in Buffalo and so close to the Ontario border, I was exposed/spoiled with great Canadian bands such as I Mother Earth, Our Lady Peace, Tea Party, 5440, a bunch others....but, the Tragically Hip had a special place in my heart and shaped a period of my young life. With Gordon's passing, I feel like that period of my life is strangely even more distant and almost severed.

Just heart-breaking. I'm going to miss you, Gord.

...and yes, 2017 can go f!!k itself.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Some Classic Downie here .. only Gord would tell a story about a Killer Whale that finds him sexy and rips his arm off and he tells the Killer Whale off in a language the whale understands.

KillerWhaleTank !

the tragically hip new orleans is sinking (killer whale tank)

Bourbon blues on the street, loose and complete
Under skies all smokey blue-green
I can't forsake a dixie dead-shake
So we danced the sidewalk clean
My memory is muddy, what's this river that I'm in?
New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna swim
Colonel Tom, What's wrong? What's going on?
You can't tie yourself up for a deal
He said, "Hey north you're south shut your big mouth,
You gotta do what you feel is real"
Ain't got no picture postcards, ain't got no souvenirs
My baby, she don't know me when I'm thinking bout those years

"I had job before this, I had a job before this. Ultimately, it was that job that drove me into this.
I worked at an aquarium, an aquarium with lots of money from the government so it was HUUUGGEE!
I uh I was a clean n' scrub man we called each other in the C n' S union. I scrubbed the inside of the Killer Whale Tank.
The, and after a while the boys in the C n' S or clean n' scrub we just sort of made it one word: the killerwhaletank, the killerwhaletank uh, the killerwhaletank uh. I'm going into the killerwhaletank UH yeah.
I got along with these two big beasts so well, it was like they knew me they looked at me with their hundred year old eyes and it was like they knew me. Hi!
I'd put on my SCUBA gear, my mask, my regulator, {breath} and I'd fall into the tank with nary a sound maybe a pfftt. And then I was underwater.
Sometimes, I'd jump out, right in front of the window when people are expecting a killerwhale and they see a human, they get spooked. Spooked. Anyway I'd do that.
But I was in the water this particular day, unbeknownst to me, Shamu and Bartholomew, their relationship had grown stale, seems I was going in there so much and looking so good, Shamu took a shining to me, and they're so smart those things ya know they've got all these human emotions, love, lust, GREED, hundred year old eye jealousy.
Bartholomew was LIVID. Unbeknownst to me I can't hear a goddamn thing underwater. He came up he was bumping up against me a lot. The stale, killerwhale, bumping up against someone so pale and frail. How was I to know the killerwhale whose relationship had gone stale, well ..
He brushes up against me sometimes, skin's like sandpaper I say "Hey man, Bartholomew what's up? What's up? What's going on big fella? What is it? What is it? I, I don't wanna steal your mommy, and I sure don't want to take the place of your daddy, I only want to be your friend."
And he circled around and I thought we were all patched up and I was scrubbing and he took my- he came up, he came up, he came up, he ripped my left arm off. I mean the killerwhale they're beasts of the deep they're I mean they're quite docile and friendly in captivity but somewhere along the line, the thousands of years of breeding just snapped and he took my left arm, man he took my left arm, took my f*cking left arm. "Wha-What is it Bartholomew?"
I spoke to him in a language he could understand, as I came back."

Pale as a light bulb hanging on a wire
Sucking up to someone just to stoke the fire
Picking out the highlights of the scenery
Saw a little cloud that looked a little like me
I had my hands in the river
My feet back up on the banks
Looked up to the lord above
And said, "Hey man thanks"
Sometimes I feel so good, I gotta scream
She said Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
She said, she said, I swear to god she said...
My memory is muddy what's this river that I'm in?
New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna swim

Reactions: 18Hossa and PM

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Tragically Hip was the soundtrack for my high school life, through the tumultuous highs and lows of discovering your own identity in the midst of all that chaos.

Figuring out who your friends are, and what kind of person you want to be. Their music will always be inextricably linked with major milestones in my life.

I've seen them 10 times live in concert, starting with Another Roadside Attraction in 1995 in the cold, dank and muddy Rideau Carleton Raceway. Gord remarked, "Seeing the steam rise...from your sweaty, dirty, slick bodies...reminds me of only one thing....the Inevitability of Death!", and launched into that song. And we cheered that bizarre remark as one cheered anything Gord said or did.

Being a Hip fan in their prime was like being part of a club. People you would meet, you would ask them what their favourite Hip song was, and have a discussion. No two people would like the same song, or the same album, for the same reasons.

And inevitably, when you met Americans, you would try to explain to them what the deal was. And it was difficult to articulate. And as has been said elsewhere, eventually that became part of their allure. They were Canada's own, and no one else could really get it. (until I saw a show in Syracuse, and met rabid Hip fans from Buffalo who would listen to them on Canadian radio stations, way to go Yanks!) They would cheer wildly when the line "I remember Buffalo!" would ring out during At The 100th Meridian.

They also came about during the CanCon controversy, when radio stations were required by the CRTC to increase the amount of Canadian content (first in the 80s, and then in 1999). I can recall being pretty irate at the time, "How dare the government do this?", but the surprising end result was a burgeoning pride in our music scene, recognition of our own talent, and a swelling of Canadian interest in our place in the world and our history.

Gord made us interested in ourselves, as Canadians, telling us that our stories, our culture and our history were important, and worth celebrating, condemning or discussing. Somehow, in spite of, or perhaps because of, his crazy antics, his extensive conversations with fruit or microphone stands on stage, his exotic collection of hats, he managed to speak for an entire nation.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Losing John Dunsworth + Gord Downie back to back is like losing the liver and vocal chords of Canada.

This sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad