Celebrity Death: Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I liked the hip and all but why is this the lead story on Sportsnet and TSN?

These:

And this:

jersey-news-post-250x225.jpg

Downie was also a big part of the annual Juno Cup game.

The fact is, they were tied very closely to sports, especially in Canada.

He was also Harry Sinden's godchild.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
RIP Gord. A ture legend...the radio station was playing nothing but The Hip here and it was glorious. What a true warrior, legend and hero he showed he was.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
@SEER

Thank you !!!

A special tribute, for Leafs Legend..., Bill Barilko... In February 1947, Bill Barilko was called up to the Toronto Maple Leafs from the PCHL's Hollywood Wolves and played for Leafs until his death. He was assigned sweater #21 when he debuted for the Leafs. He changed to #19 for the 1948-49 and 1949-50 seasons. The #5 (which was retired by the Leafs) was only worn by Barilko for one season, 1950-51. During that span of five seasons, Barilko and the Toronto Maple Leafs were Stanley Cup champions on four occasions 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951.The last goal he ever scored (in overtime against the Montreal Canadiens' Gerry McNeil in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup final, on April 21, 1951) won the Maple Leafs the Stanley Cup. On August 26, 1951, Barilko joined his dentist, Henry Hudson, on a flight aboard Hudson's Fairchild 24 floatplane to Seal River, Quebec, for a weekend fishing trip. On the return trip, the single-engine plane disappeared and its passengers remained missing. Eleven years later, on June 6, 1962, helicopter pilot Ron Boyd discovered the wreckage of the plane about 100 kilometres (62 mi) north of Cochrane, Ontario, about 56 kilometers (35 miles) off course. The cause of the crash was deemed to have been a combination of pilot inexperience, poor weather and overloaded cargo.Notably, the Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup that year, after not winning it at all during the eleven years that he was missing. The 1992 song "Fifty Mission Cap" by The Tragically Hip is about Barilko's death and the Leafs' subsequent Stanley Cup drought." Barilko is buried in Timmins, Ontario, Canada, at the Timmins Memorial Cemetery.
Bill Barilko Defense -- shoots R
Born Mar 25 1927 -- Timmins, ONT 89 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 180
NHL STATS: 252 games.. 26 goals... 36 assists... 62 points....
This video includes: 1947-1951 defensive plays; one assist..; Barilko's 1951 Stanley Cup Game Winning Goal..... and many other clips & photos from 1945-1951.....

Thanks to all my video, music & pic friends... and to... THE TRAGICALLY HIP..... for this great, Classic song, written about Bill Barilko's life... (lyrics posted below) *Y-T Editor : This background song is approved for world-wide viewing (except Germany), as per You-Tube Music Policies page.... Thank you..
*AND PLEASE NOTE: THIS CHANNEL IS NOT MONETIZED. All of the videos done for this profile are for the sole purpose of free entertainment and TML Fan Pump only... and no monies and/or any other profits are made from any of them... I am also not in any Partnership Programs.., nor do I subscribe to sites/programs that give you free hits & views... I do not claim rights to the individual video clips and/or the music used... and please read my ABOUT ME section in here for more.. Please message me with any concerns.. I am a mature adult who was also a song-writer/musician..
Thank you.. ....Over 450 videos made, since January 2013 ....and counting...! -------------------------------------------------------------------
"Fifty-Mission Cap" - The Tragically Hip
"Bill Barilko disappeared that summer He was on a fishing trip
The last goal he ever scored Won the Leafs the cup
They didn't win another till nineteen sixty two The year he was discovered
I stole this from a hockey card I keeped tucked up under My fifty-mission cap I worked it in I worked it in to look like that
It's my fifty-mission cap It's his fifty-mission cap And I worked it in I worked it in And I worked it in to look like that And I worked it in to look like that
Bill Barilko disappeared that summer (in nineteen fifty one) He was on a fishing trip (in a plane) The last goal he ever scored (in over time) Won the Leafs the cup They didn't win another till nineteen sixty two The year he was discovered In my fifty-mission cap I worked it in I worked it in to look like that It's my fifty-mission cap It's his fifty-mission cap And I worked it in I worked it in And I worked it in to look like that And I worked it in to look like that It's my fifty-mission cap It's my fifty-mission cap It's my fifty-mission cap It's my fifty-mission cap"
- Written by Gordon Downie, Gordon Sinclair, Johnny Fay, Paul Langlois, Robert Baker • Copyright © Peermusic Publishing

Last edited:

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Heartbreaking that I wasn’t able to see the hip live.

But Gord will live on in every arena throughout Canada.

Reactions: bukwas

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Friday at 8 eastern, CTV is showing Long Time Running commercial free at 8 pm. It was supposed to air in November with commercials but they changed that today. Set your PVR accordingly since it isn't listed in the guide, and is almost 2 hours long.

Sunday at 9, CBC is showing his Toronto Secret Path show commercial free. That was the one and only time I saw him and will never forget it.

Is anyone going to the Secret Path event Sunday in Richmond Hill? Mike Downie is supposed to be there but I don't know if he will be there. Pearl Wenjack, one of Chanie's sisters, is also going.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
A truly sad day for friends, family, music lovers and Canada.
One of the very best, R.I.P and thanks for the great memories.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Very sad news, Gord was so unique as an artist, he is one of the legends of music. I was fortunate to see the Hip 5 times and Gord solo twice. Unforgettable experiences. Vid I took back in 2006 in Calgary.

The Lonely End Of The Rink.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad