Celebrity Death: Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
We all knew this was coming but that hasn't helped lessen the blow one bit.

I just saw his name trending on Twitter and my heart sank.

Goodbye Gord. You rocked. The planet was better for having you on it.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Damn that's sad news. Gord Downie was not only a great musician, but a gentle and kind soul as well. Someone who was easy to look up to and admire, and who represented the best of humanity.

To say that my heart sank when I read this would be an understatement. It's especially difficult to hear about, because I lost a parent to the same damned disease and shared Hip fandom with them.

Rest in peace, Gord. Thanks for everything. My condolences to those who knew and loved him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Always considered The Hip to be overrated and a benefit of certain radio laws, but Downie had one of the best singing voices in music and I can respect the impact he & the band had on Canadians.

Reactions: Brownbeard

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A unique talent. A great person. One of a kind shows man. And above all else he was a trmenedous lyricist.

He told many stories and used many devices from Shakespeare and other poets.

Saw them live a few times and they were always entertaining and fun.

RIP Gord.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
We knew this was coming, but not going to lie, I didn't expect it to be this quick. Sad day.

I admit I was never a fan of their music, but Gord was a genuinely nice/great guy, and he was a Canadian icon. May he rest in peace.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
We all knew this was coming, but my heart still sank and I was caught off guard the moment I read the news.

Gord meant so much to Canada and he was a poet with his lyrics.

My condolences to his loved ones. Thank you for everything, Gord.

RIP

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
RIP to a great Canadian who not only was an amazing entertainer and musician but someone who cared about others. Looking forward to his final solo double album due out on October 27th.

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to have the grace and courage inside you to battle a terminal illness, publicly, and to spend what you know is your last bit of time on earth devoted to causes that help others. Rest well, Gord Downie.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Always considered The Hip to be overrated and a benefit of certain radio laws, but Downie had one of the best singing voices in music and I can respect the impact he & the band had on Canadians.

Gord was a great showman, but vocally, he was pretty weak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->