Speculation: Goligoski’s 8-team No Trade List revealed

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
LA is a shithole.

sure, if you make 40k a year. If you make 5mm, way different story.

Thats whats so comical about these threads, the context is these are super rich athletes that don’t live like the rest of us. They aren’t going to get excited about 400k sfh’s in Edmonton or the fact that post secondary in MTL is cheap. Try getting your trophy Florida born wife excited about living in Strathcona vs on the intercoastal in Lauderdale.

I live in Kelowna and we do have a decent population of NHL guys that keep homes here....10mm homes on the lake.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Raanta is my top choice for 1B goalie but man is he injury prone. I want one of the forwards Coyotes got.. Schmaltz or Dvorak with retained salary on the 3rd line.
Someone is going to get Raanta cheap and be very, very happy I think.
Can't see Dvo moving. Would personally be open to trading Schmaltz, but not sure the team would.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I'm the nicer areas, you can get a 1500+ sq foot house, 3 bed 2+ bath, for under 400k. That's far from expensive, far cheaper than any other major city in Canada.

The only catch there is you have to live in Saskatoon. Spent 18 years in Sask and don’t even go back to visit anymore.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why on earth doesn't he want to come to Detroit, that is just stupid? We have great veteran leadership from Justin Abdelkader and Frans Nielsen, as well as a great up and comer in Madison Bowey who Goligoski can take under his wing and mentor to hall of fame status. Such a wasted opportunity! Shameful!

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The only catch there is you have to live in Saskatoon. Spent 18 years in Sask and don’t even go back to visit anymore.

To each their own. I'm the opposite, I plan on making the above listed into my retirement home when the day comes. Meanwhile I find a city like Toronto to be hell on earth. Wouldn't trade the worst year in Toon for the best day in Toronto

Reactions: japhi

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Why on earth doesn't he want to come to Detroit, that is just stupid? We have great veteran leadership from Justin Abdelkader and Frans Nielsen, as well as a great up and comer in Madison Bowey who Goligoski can take under his wing and mentor to hall of fame status. Such a wasted opportunity! Shameful!

I don't think it's the team, these mostly doesn't seem like he put them on there because the team.

Look, we've all seen Mad Max, we know what Detroit is like.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's crazy that all these millionaires don't fancy November months's a minus 32..Couldju imagine? 8 months a year snow. Here's a like a North Pole.

Reactions: Morrison

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not if you earn $5 million a year it isn't.

I never understood this.

How is $5million different in LA?

The only advantage is if they're a coke-head who wants to chase tail of vapid aspiring actresses who only want to know what car you drive, or what neighborhood you live in.

You realise that NHL players get laid in EVERY city. Including the ones they visit.
It's not a "special" thing that happens only in places like LA.

Goligoski is 35 and is married with 2 Kids.

For most people in his situation, the location you they'd likely prefer has more to do with what's best for their family. And there are far better places to raise your kids than in LA.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's crazy that all these millionaires don't fancy November months's a minus 32..Couldju imagine? 8 months a year snow. Here's a like a North Pole.

I don't get it.

Every single documentary you watch, all they ever talk about is how much they loved playing shinny with their friends, had to fight with their parents to get off the ice, talk about how the cold helped forge them and make them who they were as players, and how they embraced and love the sport and culture.

Most hockey players grew up with winters, and loved every second of it.

I'm not even a hockey player and I missed the 4 seasons when I lived in LA.
I was successful and in my 20's, and meeting hot girls in those korean booking clubs.

I don't really understand why all of these guys who made a living out of their love of winter, all want to be away from the snow, and take every opportunity to poke fun of it.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't get it.

Every single documentary you watch, all they ever talk about is how much they loved playing shinny with their friends, had to fight with their parents to get off the ice, talk about how the cold helped forge them and make them who they were as players, and how they embraced and love the sport and culture.

Most hockey players grew up with winters, and loved every second of it.

I'm not even a hockey player and I missed the 4 seasons when I lived in LA.
I was successful and in my 20's, and meeting hot girls in those korean booking clubs.

I don't really understand why all of these guys who made a living out of their love of winter, all want to be away from the snow, and take every opportunity to poke fun of it.
Because it ****ing sucks stepping outside into November months's -32.

Reactions: _Del_

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Because it ****ing sucks stepping outside into November months's -32.

Even if your life is based around the winter sport of ice hockey?

Imagine being a world class surfer, and wanting to live in the mid-west.
Or being a world class snowboarder, and wanting to live in the prairies.

I find it strange that a majority of ice hockey players don't want to be anywhere near the climate that forged their lifelong passion and lifestyle.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Even if your life is based around the winter sport of ice hockey?

Imagine being a world class surfer, and wanting to live in the mid-west.
Or being a world class snowboarder, and wanting to live in the prairies.
Hockey is played in a fancy arena.
A surfer would have to live by the ocean, and it's nice to live by the ocean in a tropical place.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He either wants to win or make money before he goes out. If he went to LA, he'd be a youth trainer, and he would get taxed out the wazoo. Not really surprised. LA wouldn't have had interest unless he was looking to sign cheap and babysit, which clearly he isn't...

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Hockey is played in a fancy arena.
A surfer would have to live by the ocean, and it's nice to live by the ocean in a tropical place.

Still find it strange man.

I spent most of my life up here and only did 2 years in LA.

I can't stand deserts, those fires that smog up the city, or unbearable heatwaves.
I can't stand the fires, or +128F (54C) temperatures.

The beach is nice, but I need my 4 seasons, even if it comes with an occasional -40 C.

I guess I'm shocked not many hockey players feel the same way.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Still find it strange man.

I spent most of my life up here and only did 2 years in LA.

I can't stand deserts, those fires that smog up the city, or unbearable heatwaves.
I can't stand the fires, or +128F (54C) temperatures.

The beach is nice, but I need my 4 seasons, even if it comes with an occasional -40 C.
What I'm saying is. A pro hockey player is immersed in his passion playing 82 hockey games a season. He doesn't need -40 and blanket of snow with ODR and hot cocoa to feel like he's close to his passion.

Kids like winter. If an adult told me he enjoyed Calgary in January I'd look at him odd.

Thndrstruck

Sep 3, 2011
Calgary
It's always sad to see my city on these lists. I get it, Calgary isn't as sexy as the bigger cities in the U.S. and Canada, but it still sucks as a Flames fan. The only way this team is going to improve their skill is by drafting or taking a chance on soon-to-be busts.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I never understood this.

How is $5million different in LA?

The only advantage is if they're a coke-head who wants to chase tail of vapid aspiring actresses who only want to know what car you drive, or what neighborhood you live in.

You realise that NHL players get laid in EVERY city. Including the ones they visit.
It's not a "special" thing that happens only in places like LA.

Goligoski is 35 and is married with 2 Kids.

For most people in his situation, the location you they'd likely prefer has more to do with what's best for their family. And there are far better places to raise your kids than in LA.

Well, what makes a city bad to live in? The neighbourhood you're in (as you, for some reason, dismissively stated - seems like a pretty big deal to me). Maybe the city services like sanitation etc. Perhaps the public transport system is garbage or dangerous or both.

How much of that is easily avoided if you live in a rich person's bubble? High income areas are clean, safe and pleasant to be in. You live in a beautiful house, drive your fancy car to the arena/practice facility/restaurant and then go back to your house. You're insulated from the everyday depressing shit that poor folk have to put up with. It's got nothing to do with trying to get laid.

I didn't say $5million income was special or different in LA. Even if LA is an absolute dump, you don't have to experience it if you earn that kind of money.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Language barrier for MTL? 99.99% of people living there speak english.... I think it's more about media pressure wich is really bad !!!!
Lmaooo at the 99.99% of the people living in mtl speaks english.... dude LOL. Id say max 30% of the pop speaks english and even there im prolly pushing it. 99.99% hahahaha

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It really is.

It really isn’t. Especially if you’re a young, rich hockey player living in Manhattan Beach. Downtown sucks, but LA is huge. It’s literally one of the best places in the entire world to live.

bigstock-Manhattan-Beach-Waterfront-48965771-1000x666.jpg

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What I'm saying is. A pro hockey player is immersed in his passion playing 82 hockey games a season. He doesn't need -40 and blanket of snow with ODR and hot cocoa to feel like he's close to his passion.

Kids like winter. If an adult told me he enjoyed Calgary in January I'd look at him odd.
Calgary is wonderful in January.

I love skiing, and its a 90mins away from Banff (worlds best mountains).
And the Chinooks actually make it pretty warm (+20C)

I mean, it would mean less if you said Winnepeg or Edmonton, but Calgary is pretty awesome in January.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It really isn’t. Especially if you’re a young, rich hockey player living in Manhattan Beach. Downtown sucks, but LA is huge. It’s literally one of the best places in the entire world to live.

Pretty sure LA looks like this right now:
568762319.jpg

And definitely nowhere close to being one of the best places in the world to live.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad