Speculation: Goligoski’s 8-team No Trade List revealed

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I live in Montreal and cant speak a lick of french. Been here 14 years now and married a local. Bought a house and have a kid in a french daycare.

No issues here in NDG.

My NTL would include absolute shit holes like Detroit, Florida, Arizona, and St.L.

For hockey reasons I wouldnt want Ottawa, MN, Buf, MTL and Cali.

Calgary and Edm are fine as cities and for hockey.

STL and ARZ are great places to live, what a joke of a statement.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Thats funny since Buffalo wasn't on Eric Staals NT list and Skinner when he scored FORTY goals 2 seasons ago also would only accept a trade to Buffalo or Toronto and refused a trade to LA. Goligoski wasted a spot listing Buffalo since they don't need an aging, overpaid #4/5 dman anyway.

Staal just really wanted to stay in Minnesota and his no trade list reportedly consisted of contenders, which Buffalo isn't. I wouldn't read into it too much.

Reactions: Morrison

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Thats funny since Buffalo wasn't on Eric Staals NT list and Skinner when he scored FORTY goals 2 seasons ago also would only accept a trade to Buffalo or Toronto and refused a trade to LA. Goligoski wasted a spot listing Buffalo since they don't need an aging, overpaid #4/5 dman anyway.
That was the Staal rule for gaming your no trade kicking in there. Like the Canadian teams you can’t risk getting sent there.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Doubt you can sign many free agents who eat 20+ minutes, continually put up 40 from the back end (even in AZ), and are at or near the team lead in blocks for less than 5M AAV. Only owed $4M, and he expires at the right time for expansion draft and isn't a long -term commitment. I think NHL GM's will be more interested than fans on the msg boards.
Deal might have to be creative. Maybe a similar expiring contract and pick/prospect. Maybe a hockey trade for a forward. Maybe you hold on to him until the deadline and his cap is prorated and it's cheaper to retain on him to maximize value. But there will be interest.

Solid hyperbole. Goligoski got 40 exactly once in his career, 7 years ago. In his stint in AZ, he has ranged from 27 to 36. It would be more fair to talk about a 30-35 points guy than a 40.

This number is more likely to go down in coming years than up.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Solid hyperbole. Goligoski got 40 exactly once in his career, 7 years ago. In his stint in AZ, he has ranged from 27 to 36. It would be more fair to talk about a 30-35 points guy than a 40.

This number is more likely to go down in coming years than up.
He's not signed for half a decade. He's 33rd in scoring from the blue line over the past five years playing on one of the league's worst offenses. Which of the 32 in front of him actually play defense and are available for under 5M AAV on a 1yr deal?

Recency:
.46 ppg

You've got one off year. He just consistently does his job. I don't have to sell him, because I think GM's know who he is and what they'd be getting.
:dunno:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What's Goligoski's trade value?
I don't know in an off-season trade. I think he's obviously worth the most at the deadline, and I don't think he has to move right now. If a deal happens today, the return would depend on how much money is coming back.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's doesn't matter how much you make, Downtown and the area tonight around it are shitty. I'm working just west of there right now and it's horrible

Yeah I don't think that's how anyone actually gauges the livability of cities, or how pro athletes look at them. Lest you thought Kevin Hayes just went "$50 million? Now I can finally hang around Center City at 1am on a Tuesday! Hey, I can buy a hooka on South Street!" Or Sidney Crosby lives in a condo across from the USX building, staring down on the empty streets at night. Or Jacob Trouba is eating at Bubba Gump's every day, or Patrick Kane takes the El to get around.

Reactions: japhi
Nov 24, 2006
Where would you rather live?

(1)

blog_post_image_835.t1552920467.jpg

(2)

maxresdefault.jpg

They're the same city.

Almost all cities have different seasons, and good and bad areas. They can be awesome and awful in different ways to different people.

You'd hope as a pro athlete with a short career that you choose the place you think you can win, but athletes like other people are not all the same.

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
What's his game like these days?

With the Devils needing top-4 LHD and a 1B goalie, New Jersey could be a one-stop-shop for Arizona's cap dump desires. I'd be cool with working something out involving Goligoski and Raanta.
Raanta is my top choice for 1B goalie but man is he injury prone. I want one of the forwards Coyotes got.. Schmaltz or Dvorak with retained salary on the 3rd line.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If there was a way of finding every players' No-Trade list in the league, which teams would appear the most?

I'd guess the top 3 would be Ottawa (Melnyk), Buffalo (clusterf***) and Winnipeg (mosquitos).

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Per Coyotes reporter Craig Morgan, Alex Goligoski has listed the below 8 teams to which he won’t accept a trade:

Buffalo
Calgary
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Montreal
Ottawa
Winnipeg

He is a solid top-4 veteran D who can play both sides, PP, PK, and eat up low 20 minutes. He is also signed to a fair price and a contract that expires next summer.

Coyotes likely looking for picks or young assets.

LA that's just super weird...unless he believes their a bottom feeder

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I would expect no toronto if he didn't want Canadians.

Seems like he wants to be in a nice not-super cold city and have a chance to compete. Tor/Van might compete for cup, while LA is rebuilding.
I could see that being part of the reason, and I'm a Vancouver resident, but I think he would have put TO and Van on there if he had a 10 team no trade. I think a lot of American born players find playing in US markets a little more familiar. I don't blame them, taxes are more difficult play in one country, live in another. Money exchange or multiple accounts - none big deals individually but if you have a choice I can totally understand choosing to live in the country born, raised, worked and lived your entire life. Covid travel restrictions could be another huge factor if it limits your ability to visit family during the season.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Language barrier for MTL? 99.99% of people living there speak english.... I think it's more about media pressure wich is really bad !!!!

There is a huge language barrier. I love MTL and have spent lots of time there but for anglos it can be very intimidating. I have been in multiple situations - one really bad case in a Taxi, guy either didn’t speak english or wouldn’t- where communication was pretty difficult. My wife would 100% block any move to that city.

Montreal IMO is one of the great NA cities to VISIT. But the reality is capital has been fleeing or avoiding the Province of Quebec for decades, and it is not an attractive city for the rich - which hockey players are - for a number of reasons.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
LA that's just super weird...unless he believes their a bottom feeder

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, sometimes being listed on a player's NTC doesn't necessarily mean that the player absolutely would not go there. While some of the teams listed I would agree would be a hard no for Goligoski, I think the Kings' inclusion is due to the fact that they've publicly said they'll be on the hunt for a veteran LHD since they currently only have one signed to a one way deal (and that's Kurtis MacDermid who I'm not sure is an everyday D).

A player could list an interested team on his NTC but use that as leverage, ie he'd waive the NTC if the new team immediately signed him to an extension. We saw this last summer when Justin Faulk had Anaheim on his NTC but would have waived if they had agreed on an extension.

Why did Justin Faulk not want to be dealt to the Ducks? – Orange County Register

Why did the Carolina Hurricanes ship defenseman Justin Faulk to the St. Louis Blues instead of the Ducks on Tuesday? Well, for starters, it was Faulk’s choice since he declined to waive his limited no-trade clause to join the Ducks because their offer of a contract extension wasn’t sufficient.

The Ducks were among several teams on Faulk’s no-trade list, so the Hurricanes couldn’t just send him to Anaheim. Faulk would have gone if the Ducks had presented him with a contract extension that he deemed suitable.

It's possible that LA is a hard no for Goligoski, but I think there's the possibility that he and his agent would figure LA would be a team interested in trading for him and thus want leverage on an extension.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Montreal isn't surprising. High taxes. No privacy. Forever bubble team.

Buffalo. No surprise. Not a glamorous city. Gongshow team from ownership on down.

Winnipeg is expected. Smallest market. Fish bowl environment. No wifi.

Edmonton-See Winnipeg. Except Oilers have had a very bad 15 years. The fact they have two of the best players in the league and can't get anywhere is a huge red flag.

Calgary-Not surprising. Reputation of cheap ownership. Not a glamorous city to American players.

Detroit- Terrible team right now. City's reputation isn't great (IE crime & so forth).

Ottawa- Melnyk. Team performance.

LA-Team performance.

lol. Real ironic coming from a Flyers fan. You sorry bunch of floppers got outplayed for the whole series against Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad