GDT: Gold Medal Game Period 2 | USA vs Canada | 1/5 @ 9:30PM ET| TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It's their own fault.

They got carried away with the marketing as a Christmas tradition and Canadiana and they literally put cameras in the living rooms of the relatives of the players on television.

So are you really going to trash one of their sons/brothers/grandsons on national television with that kind of set up?

It goes beyond sports at this point - it ends up being extremely unfair to the players who have to shoulder the pressure.

I guess it's quite the crucible for these kids to transition into professional sports.

The attention they manufacture is double-edged. For better or worse I doubt there'd have been a WJC this year without focus (economic and otherwise) they've drawn to it. The combination of the hype and people who can't handle losing and need to fabricate blame is certainly awful. I still love the tournament though and wouldn't want TSN to stop covering it.

Oct 18, 2011
I think my final thoughts on this game.....
USA very much played their "A" game starting with night, they came out right away and showed Canada they were not afraid of all their first round picks and then Spencer Knight played by far his best game.

Canada had their "B" game that probably stemmed with playing from behind, if they had gotten out in front they might've been able to play their "A" game but they just seemed unable to play from behind

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Can't win them all, really just a missed opportunity more than anything else, alas Canada will be champs again at this tournament sooner than later.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
Congrats from Finland. To both final teams. I am a big fan of NA style of play and enjoy the small ice action. We should shrink ours in Finland..

US deservedly got the gold this time. A really speedy tough opponent. Hats off to both and I truly think silver is also something to celebrate about. Like someone wisely said, maybe it's the only medal some players ever win.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Better roster & better team are 2 different things.

You can't really claim that Canada wasn't a "good team" though, their team stats for the tournament are spectacular, still remains the best team statistically even though they took silver. Canada simply didn't play their best tonight, it comes with the territory of the junior level.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
What a great tournament with full of surprises.

I was sure that Canada was gonna win Gold and that Finland was gonna be the silver medalist after that comeback against Sweden.

But USA prowed me and many others wrong, congratz to them. :)

When Finland tied late in the 3rd against USA, I was 100% that Finland would win the game and my mind was already in the gold medal game. The American winning goal was one of the most dissapointing shock moments for me in recent years.

Still gotta be happy with the bronze medal, Finland's success in this tournament for about a decade now has been impressive.

This was one of the best hockey tournaments in years, WJC's often are some of the exciting ones too.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Total shocker that Ryan Rishaug poked his head out of the trenches to try to stir up controversy. What a hack.

He did tweet twice about the "trash can," first to provide a screenshot and then an animated GIF, but didn't add any commentary or opinion about it, i.e. he didn't over-react. He then did some investigation and followed those tweets up with two more that quashed the controversy... perhaps that he contributed to, but good on him for following up and clearing the air. I actually think that he conducted himself like a responsible journalist.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
What a great tournament with full of surprises.

I was sure that Canada was gonna win Gold and that Finland was gonna be the silver medalist after that comeback against Sweden.

But USA prowed me and many others wrong, congratz to them. :)

When Finland tied late in the 3rd against USA, I was 100% that Finland would win the game and my mind was already in the gold medal game. The American winning goal was one of the most dissapointing shock moments for me in recent years.

Still gotta be happy with the bronze medal, Finland's success in this tournament for about a decade now has been impressive.

This was one of the best hockey tournaments in years, WJC's often are some of the exciting ones too.
As an American fan, I think Finland performed admirably: they were our toughest game after the Russia debacle. The Finnish team had such spirit and leadership this year to continuously come back!

As a Florida fan, thank you for producing Lundell!

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I do enjoy the flip of during and after Finland/USA game. “Winner automatically gets silver, right?” “They’re so happy to win the silver medal” “is this the best Canadian team ever?” “Canada will win 7-0” to “show some class when winning”. Classic!

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
He did tweet twice about the "trash can," first to provide a screenshot and then an animated GIF, but didn't add any commentary or opinion about it. He then did some investigation and followed those tweets up with two more that quashed the controversy... perhaps that he started, but good on him for not over-reacting and, instead, investigating and tweeting the results of that investigation. I think that he conducted himself like a responsible journalist.

I can appreciate the fact that he didnt just post about the barrel, and then went away leaving people upset at Team USA for something dumb. He followed up once he got more information about the barrel and why it was on the ice. I mean people are going to try to spin this to make them look like villians for it, but to me at least, its something that couldve stayed in the lockerroom, but theyre teenagers, probably immature as hell, and they just beat one of the best rosters Canada has to offer. I mean I could totally see them wanting to have the barrel in the picture because they won. Its not as farfetched especially having Zegras actually explaining it immediately afterwards.

#barrelgate2021

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Rarely chime in, however Bob Mackenzie (whom I respect the hell out of) said that this may be the best Canadian Junior team in history. Team USA outplayed the heck out of them for 40 min. #proudYank

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I do enjoy the flip of during and after Finland/USA game. “Winner automatically gets silver, right?” “They’re so happy to win the silver medal” “is this the best Canadian team ever?” “Canada will win 7-0” to “show some class when winning”. Classic!

You can really tell just how little the US has won at the highest levels (last gold at mens level 1996 & only major hockey country without a gold at the mens level in this century) by toxic and passive aggressive comments like this.

You imply people should show class when winning yet here you are bringing up old statements from fans attempting to rub it in.

If you're going to tell people so show class when winning, you should start with yourself lol.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
You can really tell just how little the US has won at the highest levels (last gold at mens level 1996 & only major hockey country without a gold at the mens level in this century) by toxic and passive aggressive comments like this.

You imply people should show class when winning yet here you are bringing up old statements from fans attempting to rub it in.

If you're going to tell people so show class when winning, you should start with yourself lol.

No I’m saying if you want to talk trash before the game be able to accept trash talk after the game. Don’t talk to the talk if you can’t walk the walk.

And I never said to show class. Celebrate your wins, and mourn your loses. That’s life.

Nov 1, 2011
You can't really claim that Canada wasn't a "good team" though, their team stats for the tournament are spectacular, still remains the best team statistically even though they took silver. Canada simply didn't play their best tonight, it comes with the territory of the junior level.

And the level of being human.

Play this game 10 times and likely no team wins 10 out of 10, the same is true of NHL teams.

Congrats to the US for a well played game. Canada just couldn't bury one to get things rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad