God of War: Ragnarok - out November 9th

Apr 28, 2010
A couple more days to go! My favorite video game of all time.

Hopefully I can get the bundle on Wednesday.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I'm replaying the last game for the past few days and my anticipation is just growing and growing for this week.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Played it for like 2 hours tonight. Loving it so far, and likely will be in the running for my game of the year (but I think Elden Ring is likely to win it from critics). The only knocks I'll say so far is you can see the relics to get it running on PS4, much more so than I felt with Horizon: Forbidden West, tons of loading caves early on, and this doesn't apply to me, but as I said with Horizon Forbidden West, if you didn't like the first one, you are unlikely to like this one much more, if you loved the first one, rush out to get a copy, and if you just enjoyed but didn't exactly love the first one, wait for a sale. Its production value is unreal, and some of the weaker elements they have expanded. Haven't noticed any glitches or bugs, but I've only played for 2 hours, but outside of rare cases, I find SIE exclusives from in-house studios tend to be extremely polished in that regard and not rushed out (Days Gone is the only recent one for console I can think of that had significant issues on release).

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm all-in on Bannerlord at the moment, but this game will be my next purchase. Can't wait!

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Played it for like 2 hours tonight. Loving it so far, and likely will be in the running for my game of the year (but I think Elden Ring is likely to win it from critics). The only knocks I'll say so far is you can see the relics to get it running on PS4, much more so than I felt with Horizon: Forbidden West, tons of loading caves early on, and this doesn't apply to me, but as I said with Horizon Forbidden West, if you didn't like the first one, you are unlikely to like this one much more, if you loved the first one, rush out to get a copy, and if you just enjoyed but didn't exactly love the first one, wait for a sale. Its production value is unreal, and some of the weaker elements they have expanded. Haven't noticed any glitches or bugs, but I've only played for 2 hours, but outside of rare cases, I find SIE exclusives from in-house studios tend to be extremely polished in that regard and not rushed out (Days Gone is the only recent one for console I can think of that had significant issues on release).
I would agree with this. It seems a lot like the last god of war so far, but not in a bad way. If you liked the last game (I did!) you will like this one. Sorry seems pretty interesting so far too. Can’t wait to see how it develops.

It does seem to run smoothly. No bugs. Just one small glitch where my axe disappeared. I mean, I still had it and could use it but just couldn’t see it. All I did was reload and it fixed it. That happened to me once or twice playing the last god of war too so NBD.

I do wish it felt more next-gen though. But I’d say that about most games so far this console generation. Getting anxious for more true next gen games now. We are 2 years in. It’s getting a bit aggravating TBH.

Reactions: Jovavic

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
~16hrs in now and all I can say is that this game makes me despise Jim Ryan. It is gorgeous and runs flawlessly in performance mode, but on the whole it feels like a PS4 game through and through. If it was PS5 only I have little doubt it would've set the benchmark for graphics and performance just like 2018's did. It's a shame, really.

That said, MAN what a ride so far. Just an absolute masterclass in pacing, storytelling and character-building. There's one particular section in which you are introduced to a new character and by the end of it I felt a legitimate sense of sadness leaving the area simply because I enjoyed the character development and interactions so much. That feeling is an extreme rarity in games and a testament to the writer's room and the actor's performances. Even though the gameplay as a whole does feel a bit samey so far, the desire to discover new story beats is right up there with the best ever. I absolutely cannot wait to see how the story progresses from here.

Oh and DO NOT skip out on the side quests if you have the time to spare. The few I've done have been just as incredible as the main story beats, if not more so.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
~16hrs in now and all I can say is that this game makes me despise Jim Ryan. It is gorgeous and runs flawlessly in performance mode, but on the whole it feels like a PS4 game through and through. If it was PS5 only I have little doubt it would've set the benchmark for graphics and performance just like 2018's did. It's a shame, really.

That said, MAN what a ride so far. Just an absolute masterclass in pacing, storytelling and character-building. There's one particular section in which you are introduced to a new character and by the end of it I felt a legitimate sense of sadness leaving the area simply because I enjoyed the character development and interactions so much. That feeling is an extreme rarity in games and a testament to the writer's room and the actor's performances. Even though the gameplay as a whole does feel a bit samey so far, the desire to discover new story beats is right up there with the best ever. I absolutely cannot wait to see how the story progresses from here.

Oh and DO NOT skip out on the side quests if you have the time to spare. The few I've done have been just as incredible as the main sotry beats, if not more so.
One additional note - Some of the side quests are meant to be played deeper into the game.

This game is practically flawless.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

Oh and DO NOT skip out on the side quests if you have the time to spare. The few I've done have been just as incredible as the main sotry beats, if not more so.
I've been beating the "PS5 is a PS4 Super Pro" drum for awhile and the game just reinforces it, for a system that's been out for two years one of it's AAA tentpole games shouldn't look marginally better than its four year old predecessor.

Despite being held back that it's still really fun in the early going and I should be able to sink some quality time over the next few days, looking forward to it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Still in the early game, but it feels like jumping right into the second disk from the original. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

I think I said something similar about the first one but if you're looking for gameplay innovation or unique mechanics, steer clear. If you're looking for a polished as hell PS4-era third person action game that Sony does so well, welcome to your jam.

Kind of a side note (and I think I've asked this before), but am I the only weirdo in this forum that finds a tight FOV to the back of the character jarring? If I have a fan/cool breeze on my face I can play for about 2 hours before motion sickness sets in. That's not necessarily a bad thing since it limits my session time :laugh:

That's not a criticism, as I don't think most people get that. For me it's something of a Sony game problem as I also get it with Spider-Man and FFVII-Remake, for example. How weird am I?

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Still in the early game, but it feels like jumping right into the second disk from the original. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

I think I said something similar about the first one but if you're looking for gameplay innovation or unique mechanics, steer clear. If you're looking for a polished as hell PS4-era third person action game that Sony does so well, welcome to your jam.

Kind of a side note (and I think I've asked this before), but am I the only weirdo in this forum that finds a tight FOV to the back of the character jarring? If I have a fan/cool breeze on my face I can play for about 2 hours before motion sickness sets in. That's not necessarily a bad thing since it limits my session time :laugh:

That's not a criticism, as I don't think most people get that. For me it's something of a Sony-game problem as I also get it with Spider-Man and FFVII-Remake, for example. How weird am I?

My wife gets motion sickness from games like this too. I have no issues.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I've been beating the "PS5 is a PS4 Super Pro" drum for awhile and the game just reinforces it, for a system that's been out for two years one of it's AAA tentpole games shouldn't look marginally better than its four year old predecessor.

Despite being held back that it's still really fun in the early going and I should be able to sink some quality time over the next few days, looking forward to it.
The issue is that for the most part Sony's flagship studios have been forced to develop with cross-gen in mind, so we haven't even been treated to what the PS5 is truly capable of. That said, there are certainly some exceptions like Ratchet and Clank, Demon's Souls, Returnal and Cyberpunk (after the PS5 patch dropped) which makes Sony's flip on the statement "we believe in generations" all the more frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The issue is that for the most part Sony's flagship studios have been forced to develop with cross-gen in mind, so we haven't even been treated to what the PS5 is truly capable of. That said, there are certainly some exceptions like Ratchet and Clank, Demon's Souls, Returnal and Cyberpunk (after the PS5 patch dropped) which makes Sony's flip on the statement "we believe I'm generations" all the more frustrating.
Part of the reason I can't wait for Spider-Man 2. But pretty much every game that isn't Sony is being designed to run on specs much lower than a PS5 or Series X even if not Cross-gen given the minimum specs laid out to run on PC's even on recommended specs with much less optimization than can go into a console game. Like, Spiderman 2 and Starfield for Microsoft/Bethesda likely have much lower specs than what the console is capable of running them on to make them viable to run on PCs that are 5 years old.

Reactions: The Merchant

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The issue is that for the most part Sony's flagship studios have been forced to develop with cross-gen in mind, so we haven't even been treated to what the PS5 is truly capable of. That said, there are certainly some exceptions like Ratchet and Clank, Demon's Souls, Returnal and Cyberpunk (after the PS5 patch dropped) which makes Sony's flip on the statement "we believe in generations" all the more frustrating.
That's the entire industry really. No publisher/developer wants to take the risk of losing out on sales when for the first couple years of the new gen lifecycle, hardly anyone could get their hands on the current gen consoles.

Definitely not just a sony thing.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I just finished the Story, and oh my this game was outstanding. The story, the new characters, the visuals of each of the realms. The swerve at the around 80% point of the game had me in a panic. I don't think it was as good as God of War 18, but it was so so close.

I'd give it 9.7/10 almost perfect.

Apr 28, 2010
I just finished the Story, and oh my this game was outstanding. The story, the new characters, the visuals of each of the realms. The swerve at the around 80% point of the game had me in a panic. I don't think it was as good as God of War 18, but it was so so close.

I'd give it 9.7/10 almost perfect.
Nice review! I'm still in Muspelheim with Atreus atm.

Without spoilers, how far am I from the ending? Am I even halfway?

Personally, I love Ragnarok more than the first one just because of other characters (Angrboda 😍) and Atreus being playable. It's like playing two different games. And I'm also a big fan of wolves. But yes, both are really really close.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Personally, I love Ragnarok more than the first one just because of other characters (Angrboda 😍) and Atreus being playable. It's like playing two different games. And I'm also a big fan of wolves. But yes, both are really really close.
You still have a long bit to go before you are at the final story level.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

This game set the bar EXTREMELY high for games to be released that aren't buggy AF. Vanaheim (Alfheim is a close second) alone (all of it) could be its own game there's so friggin much to do. The side quests are spectacular.

My only gripe is to have dodge/rolls buffed more so they cover more distance than they do now.

...and Frea deserves the Game version of the Academy Award for best actress.

Reactions: No More Subban

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad