God of War: Ragnarok - out November 9th

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
After elden ring added a jump button, it would be dope if Kratos got one too. This could be the year of the jump button.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Assuming It's eligible because it is a late release this will win game of The year
It will be because it's based more on lobbying than merit. I say that as someone who loves the entire God of War series but awards in video games are a big joke.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No one knows yet. I loved Dragon Age Origins but the sequel was a steaming pile of shit. Since then, i haven't trusted anything before release.

Like you I have played the entire series, God of war doesn't miss, even the weakest God of war which is ascension is still a good game It's just part of an a series that has produced banger after banger after banger after banger so a good game looks weak in the God of war series.

There are 2 series I have full confidence in God of war in insomniac Spiderman

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ragnarok is going to just be a continuation of the last game. I don't expect there to be a ton new to it. It's more just finishing off the story.

I know some people say Elden Ring is just open world Dark Souls, but a) I think there's more to it than that and b) even if it's true, that's still a pretty massive change. I think critics reward that type of boldness. As has been talked about around here some, not everybody liked GoW that much, but it was a major shakeup to the franchise. I think that's a big part to why it was GOTY. I think Elden Ring will get some of that boldness bump and as mentioned above, it got a ton of attention and positive critical reviews. It's your leader in the clubhouse for 2022 and I don't think a more or less repeated game with a different story is going to be enough to pass it.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Yeah, it'd be really tough to beat Elden Ring for GOTY. Don't see it happening, and I loved the last God of War game. Elden Ring was just a really special game.
It would be very easy because it doesn’t cater to causal players. It’s a HUGE investment of time to just start up and play. You can’t just log on, play for 30 minutes and then log off like you can with other GOTY nominees..

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Ragnarok is going to just be a continuation of the last game. I don't expect there to be a ton new to it. It's more just finishing off the story.

I know some people say Elden Ring is just open world Dark Souls, but a) I think there's more to it than that and b) even if it's true, that's still a pretty massive change. I think critics reward that type of boldness. As has been talked about around here some, not everybody liked GoW that much, but it was a major shakeup to the franchise. I think that's a big part to why it was GOTY. I think Elden Ring will get some of that boldness bump and as mentioned above, it got a ton of attention and positive critical reviews. It's your leader in the clubhouse for 2022 and I don't think a more or less repeated game with a different story is going to be enough to pass it.
Ragnarock’s biggest weakness is that you have to have kept up with the game to even play it. I bought it Christmas last year on sale and play it casually. After 85ish hours total playing time I’m barley over level 200 and you need to be 300+ to play it.

…and yes Elden Ring is a copy and paste of Dark Soul’s mechanics.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ragnarock’s biggest weakness is that you have to have kept up with the game to even play it. I bought it Christmas last year on sale and play it casually. After 85ish hours total playing time I’m barley over level 200 and you need to be 300+ to play it.

…and yes Elden Ring is a copy and paste of Dark Soul’s mechanics.
You've been playing Ragnarok since Christmas?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It would be very easy because it doesn’t cater to causal players. It’s a HUGE investment of time to just start up and play. You can’t just log on, play for 30 minutes and then log off like you can with other GOTY nominees..
It doesn’t cater to casual players, and yet it was a cultural phenomenon and is already one of the best selling games ever.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think catering to casual gamers really matters much anyway, in terms of GOTY credentials. Sekiro won GOTY and it's not very casual-friendly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A) There's a bajillion different publications that all give out a GOTY award these days. Basically every major title will win it from some publication, so they can all put "GOTY edition" on their box art in future years.

B) Why are we talking about Elden Ring in a God of War thread?

C) Why are we talking about God of War Ragnarok being GOTY contender before its even released? Thats some bad juju, and just setting yourself up for disappointment if it doesn't live up to those lofty expectations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad