God of War: Ragnarok - out November 9th

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The studio that is responsible for the God of War games is owned by Sony so yes it will be mostly exclusive.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The original was made for PS4 and plays just fine on PS5, especially with the 60 FPS upgrade.

Who cares? Only you but you're generally not helpful anyway.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The PS5 is still just a glorified PS4 emulator.
In this gen so far there seems to be only two truly next gen games, unfortunately. Ratchet and Clank (although that has been debated), and Returnal that actually used the SSD in unique ways to do things which weren't believed previously possible.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
The PS5 is still just a glorified PS4 emulator.
whatever u say bro 🤣

That is a huge simplification of what's going on; yeah heavy gamers want to focus on frame rate, and i get it, but as more and more games phase out last gen we will start to see an even greater gap of what each console is capable of

that being said, i will def not be getting Ragnarok at launch, or maybe ever, but that's just cause I have too many games to play thanks to PS Plus, and the only upcoming game that's a must buy for me is Hogwarts. I'm very much a play 4-10 hour type gamer and never touch it again, unless it really captivates me.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
whatever u say bro 🤣

That is a huge simplification of what's going on; yeah heavy gamers want to focus on frame rate, and i get it, but as more and more games phase out last gen we will start to see an even greater gap of what each console is capable of

that being said, i will def not be getting Ragnarok at launch, or maybe ever, but that's just cause I have too many games to play thanks to PS Plus, and the only upcoming game that's a must buy for me is Hogwarts. I'm very much a play 4-10 hour type gamer and never touch it again, unless it really captivates me.

Ghost of Tshushima is identical on ps5 and PS4. I genuinely can't tell the difference between Ghost ps4 next gen patch and the ps5 version

As for god of war being a glorified expansion of the PS4 game. I'm not even slightly surprised. In fact I'm sure I called it like a year ago if I go back in my comment history. Hope people weren't expecting to have their balls blown off.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
whatever u say bro 🤣

Both Ghost of Tsushima and God of War: Ragnarok were made with the PS4 in mind and ported to the PS5. We even get PC ports of games like God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn that just undermines the PS5 even more.

It may be my opinion that the PS5 is a glorified PS4 emulator but it simply a fact that there are barely any exclusives two years after release.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
i mean load times drive me crazy personally, so it's kind of what you're expectations are I suppose. Better graphics and no load time are more important to me than anything else. Yes the flawless game speed of Ratchet and Clank was amazing, but there's not even that many games where you will notice that. Forspoken looks like where that might be the case

is there any saltiness calling it a ps4 emulator @PeteWorrell ? Do you own a ps5?

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
i mean load times drive me crazy personally, so it's kind of what you're expectations are I suppose. Better graphics and no load time are more important to me than anything else. Yes the flawless game speed of Ratchet and Clank was amazing, but there's not even that many games where you will notice that. Forspoken looks like where that might be the case

is there any saltiness calling it a ps4 emulator @PeteWorrell ? Do you own a ps5?
I had a choice between upgrading my gaming PC or buying a PS5 and let's just say that the choice was very easy. I have a big backlog of games to tide me over so that by the time i am done, PS5 prices will be lower and they will hopefully have released real next gen games instead of PS4 ports and remakes of games released on PS3/PS4.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I had a choice between upgrading my gaming PC or buying a PS5 and let's just say that the choice was very easy. I have a big backlog of games to tide me over so that by the time i am done, PS5 prices will be lower and they will hopefully have released real next gen games instead of PS4 ports and remakes of games released on PS3/PS4.
I mean a top level gaming pc is gonna be way more than a ps5, you couldn't pay me to game on a pc, so again it's somewhat subjective. Everyone is gonna have their own bias on the matter, I am super happy with my ps5, the short comings that are being criticized are that of the game developers and not the console. Also I could go out and sell it for what I paid after 15mo of gaming , so that's cool

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It’s not just the PS5. The series X is lacking majorly with games that feel next gen.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It’s not just the PS5. The series X is lacking majorly with games that feel next gen.
At least the Xbox is easy to find. It has been better lately but the PS5 is much more elusive so you end up paying a premium for a console that is simply not worth it in my eyes as of today. It is even more awful when you have to pay more because you are forced to buy a bundle because they won't sell you just the console.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think the Series X really has a game that feels next gen yet from what I've seen. I know games like the Medium and Deathloop are "next-gen" only, similar to Demon Souls. But, having played Deathloop on PS5, it didn't feel unique or ground breaking even if its a good game.

Sony has a couple of games, which I believe would not have been possible to make on PS4 (Ratchet and Clank, and Returnal). Duel sense is probably the thing that feels most next gen (and an argument for 3D sound).

I am curious to see what the first serious batch of next gen games are like such as Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 16, Jedi Survivor, and Starfield. But, we've really reached the point of diminishing returns on consoles/games in general. Generation leaps used to feel massive such as 16 bit to 32/64 opening up 3d, to 32/64 to 128bit. Now, it seems we are mostly chasing high-end textures and frame rates. The thing that seems to be changing the most is use of high-speed SSDs, allowing for a fully 3d rouguelike such as Returnal or rapid environmental change like Ratchet and Clank. Hopefully, this removes things like loading elevators (I'm sure God of War: Ragnorak will have similar loading through caves).

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I don't think the Series X really has a game that feels next gen yet from what I've seen. I know games like the Medium and Deathloop are "next-gen" only, similar to Demon Souls. But, having played Deathloop on PS5, it didn't feel unique or ground breaking even if its a good game.

Sony has a couple of games, which I believe would not have been possible to make on PS4 (Ratchet and Clank, and Returnal). Duel sense is probably the thing that feels most next gen (and an argument for 3D sound).

I am curious to see what the first serious batch of next gen games are like such as Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 16, Jedi Survivor, and Starfield. But, we've really reached the point of diminishing returns on consoles/games in general. Generation leaps used to feel massive such as 16 bit to 32/64 opening up 3d, to 32/64 to 128bit. Now, it seems we are mostly chasing high-end textures and frame rates. The thing that seems to be changing the most is use of high-speed SSDs, allowing for a fully 3d rouguelike such as Returnal or rapid environmental change like Ratchet and Clank. Hopefully, this removes things like loading elevators (I'm sure God of War: Ragnorak will have similar loading through caves).
The new Ratchet and Clank is the game that shows off the full capabilities of the PS5.

As for Xbox there really isn't any. MS chose to not make any console exclusive games at launch because they keep looping in PC versions of games as their exclusives with console versions. If they keep doing this, they're going to get burned in the long run.

If you noted at the big Xbox showcase they finally started including console exclusive launches (not releases) so we'll see if this is their answer or not.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Putting Forza and Halo on Xbox One last year held them back, just as Sony did with Horizon and Dad of War with their PS4 releases.

Anyway, back to the game! Looks fun lol

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Review embargo has ended, incoming flood of undeserved 10/10 glowing reviews.

I kid, it'll probably be an 8 or 9 from me. More enemy variety sounds good.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Watched a couple of the reviews. It at least seems like it's not a buggy mess. So they at least did something right that a few other studios have yet to figure out.

I think it looks great. It's not going to win any new fans because it's very clearly a continuation, but the enemy variety was one of the most legitimate complaints about the first one IMO. It seems like they at least tried to address that. A couple new abilities, some elemental effects on shields/weapons, etc. Hopefully it keeps it fresh enough to have some fun while I see how the saga ends. Probably not going to jump into it right away, though.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, it looks like they turned up the dial on the things that made the 2018 GoW a lot of fun. I don't really have a problem with them not trying to reinvent the wheel, and it sounds like the improved enemy variety plus refined combat will be welcome features. I am not really playing anything at the moment, so I think I'm going to see if I can walk in somewhere and pick up a copy on release day.

I am trying to avoid spoilers, and the vague sense I have from the spoiler-free reviews I've seen that quite a bit happens, even in the early going.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Review embargo has ended, incoming flood of undeserved 10/10 glowing reviews.

I kid, it'll probably be an 8 or 9 from me. More enemy variety sounds good.
If it's like the first game (which it is) I'd give it like a 7.5. Put in some actual decent boss fights will boost the score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad