Post-Game Talk: [GM61] Canucks lose to Penguins in OT | 3-4 (Hoglander, Boeser, & Miller) | Well...Dang It

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
On Mikheyev - I feel bad for him, but man. Nothing really going his way at all right now. And you need to have every player performing to the value of their contract and he just isn’t.

On the flip side - for the first time on a consistent basis, Tyler Myers is performing at a value equivalent to his. Another strong game from him to add to a series of strong games. And he’s now casually hit his best point total as a Canuck, too. Good for him.

Also - hope Juulsen is okay. Did he come back after blocking that shot with his back?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Was at the game. Crowd loved Miller and it was nice to see him get appreciated.

Garland was definitely working his butt off out there, but it felt like most of the lines didn't have much chemistry going.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sorry I actually meant Mikheyev. Not a great game but looked better than what I've seen from him lately.
Yeah..he doesn’t stand out to me as looking terrible..except when the puck is on his stick in front of the goalie.

He’s been struggling for months,and all we’ve done is mostly win.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Nothing against bains but I don't see how he gained his position on the top 3 lines or opportunity on the pp. Why hasn't he started on the 4rth line? Putting him in an energy line would seem like less pressure than a defensive checking line or scoring line.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Ah. Problem is that we’re saying that about him after every game and he seems to just kill any offensive creativity and momentum while being soft as a feather. For his cap hit, he’s an absolute anchor that doesn’t fit this team’s identity or timeline to compete this year. We need an Allvin miracle on this one.
Yeah, pretty sad that a game where he doesn't play atrocious I deem as decent

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson had some issues maintaining possession but was hardly a bad game. The disappointment is he didnt really grab the game by the throat though either while Miller and Demko were doing everything to get us in position for the win

Bottom line was some colossal breakdowns. Juulsen Mikhayev Bains were bad, Garland Lindholm generated nothing. Blueger with a really bad turnover and then Myers got turned around in a bad bounce (lucky one for Rackell) Juulsen then getting hurt had us running around which was another stroke of good fortune ( thought Pettersson could have done better to guard the middle of the ice rather than chasing up the wing) but certainly the injury was the major cause of the goal. Garland just blew that OT sequence.

Need to limit the mistakes and have a killer instinct

Back to blowing games again....need to be better

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I like each of Garland, Lindholm and Bains, but I don’t think that unit meshed well. They had a tough night.

Conversely, thought our fourth line was excellent. Lafferty and PDG had their best game in quite some time.

Miller in particular was a monster tonight. Boeser was strong. Demko too. Tough to waste good performances - but that was a desperate Pittsburgh team that needed the points.

Onto the next one.
Did they really?

I thought they had solid shifts of pressure?

Reactions: DFAC

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I was at the game again (this is purely due to the charity of friends) and I'm not sure I agree with Tocchet's assessment that the team looked tired. The Canucks were clearly controlling play in the 1st and 2nd periods. It was a clinic. The Penguins couldn't get anything going at evens, and throughout the game they simply had no speed through the neutral zone. The 3rd was more low event, so maybe that's what Tocc was talking about... but I didn't think it was outrageously bad.

From my view, the Zadorov penalty was another ridiculous game management call on a routine chase for the puck that ended up in an actual obvious penalty having to be called and yet another 5 on 3. You have to wonder if the Canucks are quietly talking to the league about these chincy even-up calls that end up upsetting the balance of the game.

Mikheyev once again tried to get going offensively and the execution just wasn't there. Probably both mental and physical now. There were a few plays where the puck was chipped in his direction but he didn't get enough explosiveness in his stride to force the defenseman back.

Also at this point I'm not sure if Lindholm is that much better than someone like Pius Suter? He's probably got a better shot but he only got off one tonight that missed the net.

Strong effort and it sucks that they couldn't close it out.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Lindholm is rather medicore. Doesn't really create offensive chances, shoot, hit or block. He is rather good in his own zone though? Still, some foolish team will overpay a crap ton of money for a post 2018 version Nick Bonino.

Boston game aside, there is something off about this team right now. Fatigue? Or maybe looking ahead to the playoffs already? There seems to be a total loss of focus at times.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
missing joshua more than you think. lines being jumbled around. miller and demko carrying this team. i think demko is playing a tad bit too much. rest him down the stretch and put in desmit. cole needs to sit. is tocheet stubborn? playing vetearns he has no problem sitting out pdg/lafftery kuzmenko when he was here. now alvin has a few days to reevaluate what needs to be done. More depth On D. and another forward or two.

Reactions: Zippgunn

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weird game. Felt like there were lots of good individual performances, felt like the game was in control the whole way ... but in the end we actually gave up a lot of shots and lose.

Some iffy reffing didn't help but that wasn't the sort of control with the lead that the coaches will be happy with.

- JT Miller is just unreal. Having one of the best seasons by any player in franchise history. Was absolutely everywhere tonight, superstar performance. His last couple games have been right there with the best players in the sport playing at their best. Solid games from his linemates as well.

- Pettersson was 'pretty good' but the problem is that should have been a 'pretty average' performance for a $12 million player but is one of the best games we've seen from him this month.

- Hoglander I thought had one of the best games of his career. Just an absolutely terrific game on the forecheck and was driving the success of his line. Unfortunately Mikheyev is just a total mess right now and is dragging things down on the other side of things. Not sure if they're trying to showcase him or give him the opportunities to play out of this.

- Garland-Lindholm-Bains line got absolutely caved. Lindholm looks like a complimentary scoring winger, not a C who can carry a line. Very underwhelming so far, looks exactly the same as the player who was struggling in Calgary. Last year in Abbotsford I described Bains quite a few times as a guy whose brain was trying things that his body couldn't execute and it looks the same right now in the NHL. Good news is that he was able to get stronger and improve his execution in the AHL this season, and he'll need to do the same thing again next year. I've seen about enough, though - he's not ready.

- Lafferty had his best game in 2024. Looked like the player from October and November.

- Zadorov is a weird player. Comes up huge in big games, tends to drift out of other ones and that was the case tonight and that pairing with Juulsen struggled. Juulsen is maybe starting to lag in the last few games and it wouldn't be the worst thing to give him a night off for Friedman.

- Hughes I thought looked sluggish tonight, was as poor as I've seen him skate this year.

- 'Myers was actually really good aside from that one really dumb penalty' feels like something we've been saying a fair bit recently.

- Demko was excellent and deserved a W.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Really what's ep winning he lost a game tonight did he hit score own boards physically beat anyone to make a play the criticism is warranted you want that money earn it did he tonight has he lately at all .
Talented soft mental player trade for a warrior Miller can work with
Without any punctuation, I can't understand what you're trying to say.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Interesting how you said Miller is having one of the best Canucks seasons of all time. I was thinking the same thing, easily the most important forward on the team this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00