Post-Game Talk: [GM61] Canucks lose to Penguins in OT | 3-4 (Hoglander, Boeser, & Miller) | Well...Dang It

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
We're still sort of in that lull part of the year for good teams.

21 games left after this, I'm sure we'll bear down more with about 15 left. This is when we want adversity to occur, even if it's frustrating in the moment.

MIkheyev is playing without any confidence or bounce in his step. Just sort of surviving out there. But I'm a firm believer in him.

Petey's playing fairly well overall, but his touches on the powerplay have been brutal lately. Not sure why.

Miller is playing unreal. The game sort of hits a different pace with him out there lately.

Garland not looking nearly as effective without the chemistry of the line with Joshua and Blueger.

On that note, Blueger has had some uncharacteristically sloppy puck decisions in the last few games.

Demko unreal as usual.

Hughes and Hronek are incredible, but not playing their best right now. Merely playing like a top 15 top pairing in the league instead of a top 2 or 3. They'll get it back.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

21 games left after this, I'm sure we'll bear down more with about 15 left. This is when we want adversity to occur, even if it's frustrating in the moment.

MIkheyev is playing without any confidence or bounce in his step. Just sort of surviving out there. But I'm a firm believer in him.

Petey's playing fairly well overall, but his touches on the powerplay have been brutal lately. Not sure why.

Miller is playing unreal. The game sort of hits a different pace with him out there lately.

Garland not looking nearly as effective without the chemistry of the line with Joshua and Blueger.

On that note, Blueger has had some uncharacteristically sloppy puck decisions in the last few games.

Demko unreal as usual.

Hughes and Hronek are incredible, but not playing their best right now. Merely playing like a top 15 top pairing in the league instead of a top 2 or 3. They'll get it back.
Thoughts on what you would like to see from Allvin and JR as TDL approaches ?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Thoughts on what you would like to see from Allvin and JR as TDL approaches ?
Thanks for asking.

I'm not an all-in guy. I think this is the start of our window and should be treated as such.

I would like to see us acquire another D. Probably a number 5 who can play 4 in an injury situation.

And maybe a flawed middle six winger if that shakes out.

But I'm not breaking the bank for a Guentzel or a Buchnevich.

Teams typically need to take their lumps a bit in the playoffs before learning how to maintain the intensity and steady focus that 4 rounds require.

I want nothing more than a Stanley Cup this year, but if we dust our first round opponent and then win or lose a close 2nd round we can't really be too disappointed with that.

I don't want to do the Boston thing from last year and put all of our eggs into one basket (yes I know they're still good, but Boston always finds a way).

What would you like to see?

Reactions: mossey3535

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Thanks for asking.

I'm not an all-in guy. I think this is the start of our window and should be treated as such.

I would like to see us acquire another D. Probably a number 5 who can play 4 in an injury situation.

And maybe a flawed middle six winger if that shakes out.

But I'm not breaking the bank for a Guentzel or a Buchnevich.

Teams typically need to take their lumps a bit in the playoffs before learning how to maintain the intensity and steady focus that 4 rounds require.

I want nothing more than a Stanley Cup this year, but if we dust our first round opponent and then win or lose a close 2nd round we can't really be too disappointed with that.

I don't want to do the Boston thing from last year and put all of our eggs into one basket (yes I know they're still good, but Boston always finds a way).

What would you like to see?
Thanks for the response,

I'm with you entirely, main reason being I think it's the start of our window as well and Demko is under 30. A cost controlled top4ish defender if they can get it done would be great but not expecting it.

Also side note, agreed with the Mikheyev thing, I'm not worried about him looks like neither is Tocchet

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Lindholm needs to play top six and with talented players. Was obvious with the Flames and won’t be any different here. It takes time to develop chemistry especially for a mid season trade. I hope RT sticks him back on one of the top two lines to let him get there, otherwise this is a wasted acquisition.

Also, if the Canucks can dump Mik and Myers for improvements, I think this team can really be an honest competitor.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Guess we miss Joshua more than I thought. Blueger and Garland each directly responsible for a goal against last night, and since that magic third line has been broken up all the lines seem to be struggling to find chemistry (except JT)

The Blueger giveaway was especially deflating as we could’ve buried them early

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I fear Lindholm is trending in the same direction as Eriksson and OEL

You need to give him a Benning special to make that happen. 6 mil x 6 years.

Adjusted with capflation....that's an 8 mil x 6 year deal with a sweet beautiful NTC/NMC with an added cap structure to make a buyout as painful as possible.

Reactions: Nick Lang

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Myers other than his bone headed penalties "some due to being bigger than your opponent" has been playing outstanding this second half of the season. I find myself no longer yelling at the screen as much, and quietly saying good defensive play instead. What a transformation in his game.

Reactions: crowfish

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's clear lately how badly this team misses Joshua and Soucy—not having that third line out there chewing up quality minutes is hurting.

Lindholm I was very excited about, but the lack of chemistry with the other forwards and lack of success being on PP1 is concerning.

Right now we're getting a contribution commensurate with a deadline acquisition worth about a 2nd/3rd. The only silver lining is that we were able to dump Kuzmenko's 5.5MM for next year, and Lindholm not already being signed to some massive contract. If this continues we simply do not have to sign him and compound our problems.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Game Management at it's finest!

TWO SIZE penalties!!!

Usually there is a yes, no, to penalty calls
BUT
Zadorov's and Myers were so obviously BAD! Both were called where one player is much bigger and stronger than the other.

Zadorov's - Zadorov gets position, this is established as he has his lane, the other player, being smaller likely knows how to play this for a penalty, the other player skates into Zadorov and gets his leg tied up with Zad's but Zad is holding his line to the back of the net. BIG guy gets a tripping penalty but if this same play resulted with Hronek or Hughes, no call. Zadorov never lifted his leg off the ice.

Myers, another blatant small guy getting down to Myers waist then pushing in and lifting up Myers stick with his shoulder. But that is not high sticking for Myers but the other player ducked into his stick.

Two penalties on the two biggest players in two seconds and poof pretty much game over. The ref has made the standard for both Zadorov and Myers, use your size and get penalized in this game.

I pretty much shut the game off at this point because the writing was on the wall, Game management wins.

Oh well they let them get a point. Didn't watch the OT highlights to see if THAT ref influenced that.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I thought Pettersson had some good jump last night despite having to carry Mikheyev. He was moving his feet and attacking the defense. If he keeps that up I think he'll break out and be back to dominating the ice soon.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Demko unreal as usual.

I agree about Blueger but you will notice that he seems to be the guy who gets the players who need a boost put on his line and it usually works. So often with this team he is "the straw that stirs the drink" as they say. If he had just slightly better finish he would be deadly.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Garland line was fantastic this game.
wtf-shades.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad