Post-Game Talk: [GM53] Canucks defeat Capitals (OT) | 3-2 (Garland, Hoglander, & Miller) | Just Win, Baby!

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Pacing pretty nicely for this stretch so far.

11 games in 19 days
No two day break until Feb 25,26.
A lot of tough competition.
Eastern road trip
Central road trip
Multiple back to backs
no practice time.

Got to get some dirty wins.

After this stretch we have 15/22 at home and do no hard road trips.
In this context along with missing two important d-men, today's performance looks pretty nice.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Also... Lindholm was so blah and invisible to me this game. Its just one game but was hoping for more from him offensively. That said Boeser and Miller have been so bad 5 on 5 that it could be on them more than Elias.

Reactions: calnuck

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Good to get the won, probably the greatest at+risk game to play without Zadarov, defense was looking 2022ish. If they can take care of business there.

Worried about the compressed schedule and getting practices in. Lots of having to work on things on the fly.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Worries about how the team looks. They lack creativity on the PP and that relentless hard skating forecheck they’ve had is all but gone.

Uncertain how this teams style holds up in the playoffs. We need a lot more grit.

Happy with the trip so far but some concerning trends emerging

Reactions: Ginger Papa

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This commentary maybe bit lacking b/c its tough to work and watch a game at the same time. Anyhow pretty obvious a lot of players are fighting it and off their games. That includes (with the exception of Demko) the players that didn't get a full break b/c of the all star game. Know I'm harping on this but you look around the League and you see many other top players, whose break was loused up by all the interviews, press coverage and functions, have also tailed off.

Good

Hoglander - showed a great stick on his goal and played strong along the boards. Coming into his own and you wonder about his ceiling.

Garland - could make a case he the best player on the team right now. Doubt people outside of Vancouver have a clue how good he has been - never gets the wider recognition he deserves.

Hughes - maybe best game since the all star game. Wasn't spectacular but had to play near half the game and one guy holding a depleted defense together.

Hronek - has been excellent of late and was strong again is this one.

Joshua - didn't see the whole game and from what I did see Joshua was laboring at times but his hustle was important in key parts of game. Guy always works his tail off.

Demko - huge in this one. Likely no chance to win without his effort. Probably first star.

Not Good

Pettersson - its all be said. Forcing plays when there is no need to and often taking himself out of the play by forcing the play. Reads are brutal - just not playing smart hockey. Way too often getting tied up in the scrums and such and not able to show the skill he does have. His puck movement as result has been poor - just doesn't d seem to want to make the simple play which would keep out of so much traffic and let his wingers more into the play

Miller - redeemed himself by scoring the winner (and illustrating just what a sniper he is) but general play was lackadaisical.

Boeser - lack of mobility showed again. Say it again - as goes Miller, so goes Boeser. Boeser creates very little on his own.

Lindholm - got to be said - more or less a flop so far. Never gets anything done. Skating not as strong as advertised. We'll see.

Myers - hitting a rough patch. Defense begins to lose a little structure and Myers is left trying to think his way out of trouble rather than making the automatic play.

Flat out bad

Micheyev - like I said didn't see all the game but from what I did see, he stank. Hung back on the forecheck and just got the puck moved around him. Often didn't seem ready for the pass when it came and handled it poorly . Lot of aimless skating aroud and you get the feeling this player will never score again. Doesn't seem to fit on any line.

Others

Friedman - thought he might be a real problem in this game and wasn't. Actually a decent skater and move puck fairly well

Probably some on this maybe be a little off, given that I didn't see the full game

Fairly negative, I know, and maybe doesn't recognize enough they actually won in some difficult circumstances. Maybe have higher expectations than warranted but as you look ahead I think it is clear that the team needs to be better than this, if they are achieve anything in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad