Post-Game Talk: [GM47] Canucks defeat Blackhawks | 2-0 (Suter & Hughes) | Kuzdemko!

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Thought the team played better in the 2nd and 3rd than has been discussed. Lots of O-zone time and grade A scoring chances denied by excellent goaltending by Mrazek. Conversely most of the good chances Chicago had were against the run of play.

Could easily have been one of those frustrating losses were it not for the burst in the 1st period and solid systems play. Beginning to become the team’s calling card. Only worry is that this kind of play is ripe for an upset in the playoffs so they will need to find another gear come the end of the season. Will be interested to see if they can make the transition.

Reactions: Indiana

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Lotto line hasn’t looked good and it’s probably time to split them up.
Usually I would say you don't break up a line that good over a few off games especially since the 2nd line actually looked succinct for the first time. Might as well try different combos to give a better idea of who to target if both Jake and Lindholm become available.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Great to see Kuz put there at the end. I always laugh when I see him skating hard, he just looks so Russian in his skating stride and half tuck
That move by Tochett is why this team is 100% buying in. How good do you think that made Kuzmenko feel? Hes took everything in stride and he's making strides defensively and his confidence reflects that.
All the people wanting him traded reminds me of Brock last year and to a lesser extent EP 2 years ago.

• Love

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I hope Kuzmenko can string some good games together, then trade him as soon as someone calls. He is someone who will disappear in the play-offs. so let's invest that 5 million in someone who will contribute when it really counts. Same with Boeser.
Sorry but this is a bad take. Ya let's trade our leading goal scorer whos in the top 20 in scoring, or a guy who had 39 goals last year , who has been asked to change his playstyle and has inevitabley struggled with the process but not once has complained and is starting to actually get it but let's trade them both based on absolutely nothing but a hunch?

To win four rounds you need gamebreakers as well as grinders and especially in Brock's case I can't think of one game where he was a detriment on the ice.

Not sure how many other teams you watch regularly but there isn't a team out there that wouldn't want Brock on their team in the playoffs.
As for Kuzmenko, we saw more than enough last year and glimpses this year like tonight, that he can be a big time player. All the work off the ice, the tough love is to make him better all around. We are in such a good position that we can afford to be patient with him.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

lol

one
hundred
point
team

TLxxtSD.png

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Canucks did not sit back for periods 2 and 3. It was not a boring game - it got scary.

We were gassed in the 2nd for sure though - at least the start of it. It doesn't look to me they were slowing down - they just overdid it in the first trying to make it 5-0. Teams by now know we are weak after the first with a lead.

But the Canucks compensated - they knew they couldn't sit on the 2 goal lead.

And Mrazek was lights out on all those chances the Canucks came at him with in the 2nd and the 3rd. You can tell by the ridiculous amount of shots the Canucks laid on him.

Most of those were incredible chances but they were usually in too close trying to go five hole. Mrazek compensated but the team in front of him was not good enough to get it past Demko. Foligno was their best player but could not do it.

80% PK which has been our killer with any lead over the past decade. 5 for 5 last night. This is a huge turnaround. Let's bury those PP's now.

I'll also argue that the Lotto Line is going to attract the best shutdown line of any team which gives room for the depth lines. This is typically why you can't play one line.. Boeser was stopped and for some reason Miller can't hit the net these past few games.

What was our PDO? The number shots we took hurt but Demko's SO should make up for that.

Last edited:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I didn't get to post anything because I was sicker than a dog yesterday with the flu, but happy the Canucks pulled off the win.

Very happy for Kuzmenko who was buzzing all night last night. Happy that he was in on both goals.

My favorite thing about last night's game was Kuzys smile. We haven't seen that infectious smile since last year. I loved it.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I didn't get to post anything because I was sicker than a dog yesterday with the flu, but happy the Canucks pulled off the win.

Very happy for Kuzmenko who was buzzing all night last night. Happy that he was in on both goals.

My favorite thing about last night's game was Kuzys smile. We haven't seen that infectious smile since last year. I loved it.
I personally liked how happy everyone was for him. Suters excitement and Petey shaking his shoulder.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Very good first period, then maybe the most boring 40 minutes of NHL hockey I've watched in a few years.

A few sloppy moments but it never felt like we weren't in control of the game and weren't getting the majority of quality ES chances.

And like I said in the GDT, Chicago is playing well right now. This isn't October SJ - they've been playing everyone into 1-goal games in the 3rd period.

Thought Juulsen looked really rusty and tentative, hopefully he gets back to form with a run of games here.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You thought he was fully engaged tonight?

And when I say "Bozo" I'm saying it with love.

1 shot 2 blocked shots 3 hits, did a diving swipe to clear the zone, forechecked well, 56% on face offs.

You can't play every game like it's game 7 of the finals.

Reactions: Indiana and MS

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
That move by Tochett is why this team is 100% buying in. How good do you think that made Kuzmenko feel? Hes took everything in stride and he's making strides defensively and his confidence reflects that.
All the people wanting him traded reminds me of Brock last year and to a lesser extent EP 2 years ago.
I don't think anyone WANTS to see him traded. He's just the odd one out on a team with several players that need big raises. This team can't afford to be patient with everyone for much longer. If you're the $5M+ guy who's struggling, well, if you don't turn it around fast you're out. It's just the way decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad