Post-Game Talk: [GM45] Canucks defeat Coyotes | 2-1 (Pettersson & Joshua) | A Win is a Win

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I can't remember well enough to cite sources or anything like that but I seem to remember that players coming off of knee surgery are cleared to play when they aren't at significant risk of reaggravation. Ligaments and tendons heal much more slowly than muscle and the only remedy is time. I'm speaking of Mikheyev here and because of the reasons above I think any talk of moving him is very premature. As far as I'm concerned, his relatively sluggish skating is well within expectation and it's very possible that we see a marked improvement in the final quarter of the season.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Very good post MJL. And even playing as he is, I know Mikh isn’t going to phone it in. It’s a rough patch for him, but he still provides something for the team.

Was in the building for this one. Good teams win even when they're not on their game. Plenty to point out but they've been mentioned plenty already.

Lafferty is so good at the little things you need a guy in his position to be good at. He's a fantastic forechecker.

Garland was buzzing all night as well.

Fun atmosphere these days, don’t you think?

Reactions: CanucksMJL

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Very good post MJL. And even playing as he is, I know Mikh isn’t going to phone it in. It’s a rough patch for him, but he still provides something for the team.

Fun atmosphere these days, don’t you think?

It's something else in there. Even put the fun of winning aside, the GameDay presentation is incredible. Also the jumbotron is unreal. The pictures don't do it justice.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks with their 30th ROW of the season and lead the NHL with 64 points. As the wins pile up, the pressure slowly shifts to the Canucks front office.

Sometimes the opportunity to win it all, is a very short window opening. And you can never take it for granted that you're going to get back on top.....what with injuries and contracts, every year is different.

So what does Allvin do at the TDL to reward the team and 'go for it'? A top six forward and a solid 4-5 d-man is what they need. But they also can't afford to hollow out their thin prospect pool.

He's got his work cut out for him.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
It's something else in there. Even put the fun of winning aside, the GameDay presentation is incredible. Also the jumbotron is unreal. The pictures don't do it justice.

When I went to the Leafs game last year, that might have been the best atmosphere playoffs notwithstanding I’ve seen.

This year there is a completely different vibe. Even watching at home, following day to day, I think a big part of it is confidence in FO. I didn’t love the Zadorov target…but the trade was good enough that I went for the first time in a long time “well, I don’t like it but they may be right, let’s see”.

It’s genuinely fun to follow the team. Last year I believe I called us a bunch of entitled brats, but we are putting in work and setting competitive expectations. I feel like everyone on the team actually cares about winning. The team is likeable. Very grateful for that.

Reactions: The Stig

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah it wasn't just the turnover. His effort on the goal against was bad. There were several other moments where he didn't have his legs and looked lost. The biggest problem is he has no identity. He's not contributing in any meaningful way. Him and Mikheyev are eating up over 10m in cap space and not doing anything. If there's any surgery that still needs to be done on the roster, it's creating a dependable 2nd line.
Mik Im giving a full on pass for the entire season.

We will see next year how well his body will recover from the knee surgery.

Kuz I dont know. I saw a big regression coming but nothing to this extent. There surely is a PP out there that he could make better while being hidden on a 3rd line 5on5?

Was super fun game to watch.

Its so weird that suddenly the Yotes are a tough matchup night in night out.

I really like Zadorov.

I really like scrappy games like that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zadorov is shaping up as a key acquisition for the Canucks back-end. Although he's still prone to the odd brain cramp in his own zone, he's just so physically dominant.

You can tell he isn't much of fighter, but he's so damn strong he just rag-dolled Coyotes tough guy Liam O'Brien and rained down blows from above. He never hesitates to stand up for his teammates....so it's not surprising why he was so popular in the room in Calgary.

He's going to be force for this team as the physical play ramps up in the post-season.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Whoever is making these is doing the Lord’s work. I get a chuckle every time.

Good to show this team can grind out some right checking wins as well as the high octane ones - also good to see us with the physical response when teams try to play them aggressively.

Demko is certainly looking more like himself these past few games as well, which is fantastic news.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Not a firing on all cylinders type of win but a win nonetheless. Offense seems to die on Mikheyev's stick a fair bit. Not seeing a lot of difference ability wise to Lafferty atm.

Despite a terrible game by Kuzy, I haven't given up on him. The skill level is there, but the confidence is shattered and I think it's leading to mental blunders. I don't think he looked this bad defensively under Boudreau with his freestyle type of play but I could be remembering things wrong.

I think he needs to play with a capable forechecker that can retrieve the puck and deliver a pass to him in the slot. Not seeing that from Mikheyev right now. It looks more like Kuzy is forechecking more often than not and even when Mikheyev does retrieve the puck, he's incapable of making a play with it. I'd like to try Kuzy with Hogs and see if there is some chemistry there.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
one of the hosts of the original Japanese source material for MXC — Beat Takeshi — did a career pivot and went on to direct some very, very, very good movies

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Not a firing on all cylinders type of win but a win nonetheless. Offense seems to die on Mikheyev's stick a fair bit. Not seeing a lot of difference ability wise to Lafferty atm.

Despite a terrible game by Kuzy, I haven't given up on him. The skill level is there, but the confidence is shattered and I think it's leading to mental blunders. I don't think he looked this bad defensively under Boudreau with his freestyle type of play but I could be remembering things wrong.

I think he needs to play with a capable forechecker that can retrieve the puck and deliver a pass to him in the slot. Not seeing that from Mikheyev right now. It looks more like Kuzy is forechecking more often than not and even when Mikheyev does retrieve the puck, he's incapable of making a play with it. I'd like to try Kuzy with Hogs and see if there is some chemistry there.
The biggest problem is that free style hockey doesn’t win you shits in this league

If he’s the only one that can’t fit into a new system that has the team reached their 30th win faster than even the 10-11 Canucks, then he should get off this team

Reactions: JAK and m9

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
30 wins, 64 points in the 45th game.

Last year they had 38 wins, 83 points in 82 games.

I think we can start to maybe accept that they are better this year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What impressed me this game was the 4th line..Hog/Aman/Lafferty....wow.

Tocchet had them in all key situations, and the majority of the time they were outworking the opposition in the O-zone.

Reactions: m9 and TruKnyte

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hoglander always draws Hansen comparables, but he always looks far more like a Garland-in-the-making to me, personally (and Garland's right there in front of us game in game out, so I never understood why that didn't get brought up more often instead). They're kind of doing the same things for their respective lines.
Zadorov is a model of what Tryamkin could have been.
Wouldn't Soucey be a better comparable? Tryamkin was never overly fast, aggressive on the pinch, physical, or mistake-prone, from what I remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad