Post-Game Talk: [GM43] Canucks defeat Sabres | 1-0 (Lafferty) | Snatcher Demko

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I was so glad that Tocchet elected to ignore the Curse of Lou and played Demko; he is on a roll, looking much more confident, controlling his rebounds much better and is basically turning into a money goalie. Great stops late in games with points on the line; that's the kind of stuff we are going to need before too long. Two weeks ago I was saying that we will never win a Cup with this guy in net but the last two games have shown me what he's capable of. Colour me impressed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Honestly wouldn't mind the Canucks being stuck in Buffalo for a few days and the Columbus game being postponed. Team deserves a rest.
It's a road game in the EST zone. Will try to get that game in. Hopefully, they can get out of Buffalo on Sunday.

Don't want to make up the game at the end of the year before the PO.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
It's normally a 6 hour drive from Buffalo to Columbus, in this weather that might not even be possible and would certainly take longer. Wonder what the plan is?

Reactions: Indiana

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Tocchett is not a fluid speaker.

After Benning, anyone on this team sounds eloquent

If there's a blizzard there's really no way to safely get the team to Columbus

Yea, it’s not that unusual for the NHL to reschedule games in these instances. They’d probably have to reschedule the game for a later date in the season though due to arena commitments, rather than just push it back

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
It's normally a 6 hour drive from Buffalo to Columbus, in this weather that might not even be possible and would certainly take longer. Wonder what the plan is?
I can't see the PA being okay with players driving in that kind of weather. If the airports are shut down, the highways are not going to be safe. If only we had decent rail service in North America.

Reactions: ziploc and Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes you watch a team play, look at their lineup, and scratch your head about why they're not winning. Buffalo is that team for me. You look at the number of high draft picks in their lineup; their blueline and their center depth, and it's really hard to figure out why they're where they're at.

They played a solid game against the high-flying Canucks and probably deserved better on the afternoon. But at the end of the day, it's just another loss as they bury themselves deeper and deeper in the Eastern Conference. Their playoff odds are resting at only 9.5 percent.

Makes you appreciate all the more the job Rutherford and Allvin have done fleshing out this Canucks roster. Clearly they've surrounded their stars with the right role players.

At the start of the year, Buffalo and Ottawa were the sexy picks to make a big move up the standings. But looking like another year of frustration for their fans.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Sometimes you watch a team play, look at their lineup, and scratch your head about why they're not winning. Buffalo is that team for me. You look at the number of high draft picks in their lineup; their blueline and their center depth, and it's really hard to figure out why they're where they're at.

They played a solid game against the high-flying Canucks and probably deserved better on the afternoon. But at the end of the day, it's just another loss as they bury themselves deeper and deeper in the Eastern Conference. Their playoff odds are resting at only 9.5 percent.

Makes you appreciate all the more the job Rutherford and Allvin have done fleshing out this Canucks roster. Clearly they've surrounded their stars with the right role players.

At the start of the year, Buffalo and Ottawa were the sexy picks to make a big move up the standings. But looking like another year of frustration for their fans.
Their vets are Okposo, Girgensons, Johnson, and Skinner.

Girgensons and Skinner have never made the playoffs in their careers, aged 30 and 31. Okposo has 24 playoff games, last made in 2015-16. Erik Johnson is the only one who has playoff experience.

The leaders on that team don't know what winning is. Like imagine turning to your highest-paid player and NHL veteran of 970 games and him having the same amount of playoff experience as a rookie entering the league.

They have to make some trades for guys who have been there. These young guys are surrounded by players who have basically stopped playing in February for most of their career.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
We've built up an 8 pt lead in the Pacific. That is enormous. The 2/3 Pacific showdown will see a very good team walking from the postseason early - getting to play a wildcard is a huge advantage.

I'm really proud of this team. It's like the message is correct every night. They knew they were going to have to slog their way to a win with 5 games in 7 nights and that's exactly what they did. This team is showing they can win in many ways.

Somebody wake me up this doesn't seem real.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I had to work all day due to the -21 temperatures, ice thawing, and the many floods that came afterwards. I hadn't looked at the phone all day. I had hoped to keep the score secretive until I got home later after work to watch the game. That is until my mom blurted out the score via text lol. The surprise was spoiled so I looked up the stats afterwards.
Very happy to see that the Canucks pulled off the win this afternoon. With Demko getting a shutout. Miller with his beauty scrap against Johnson. Also stoked to hear that Hughes, Miller, Pettersson, Demko and Boeser has all made the all star team. Aswell that Winnipeg lost to Philly 2-0, making the Canucks temporarily 1st place in the NHL.

Overall a good day in terms of hockey, but a bad day of work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad