Post-Game Talk: [GM15] Canucks defeat Canadiens | 5-2 (Garland, Mikheyev, Joshua, Boeser, and PDG) | Right Back At It

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Big concern for Soucy. If he’s out for time, that means elevated minutes for Myers and Juulsen playing more. Puts a strain on our D.

But that aside, solid bounce back and road win for the team. DeSmith is giving us very good quality starts which is excellent to see, and the team was a lot more engaged in this one. Getting 2/3 on the road is big, and now we get back to our barn to hopefully add to that.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Normally I would say that we should handle Montreal easily but they actually played us pretty close for awhile. And they beat Boston last night so you can't take that lightly.

Still not a great Tocchet-esque effort though. Hughes/Hronek were horrid for 1.5 periods, then when they split up the pairs Juulsen managed to drag down whatever pair he was on. Myers also back to his old self for big parts of the game.

Bottom-6 I thought was decent except for Blueger but he has the rust excuse. Beauvillier I again didn't like but I give him credit for stepping up the tempo slightly in the 3rd. Garland I think played simpler and got rewarded for it.

I know EP keeps pulling points out of his ass but he looks worse and worse at points. Sure better than last night but still pretty passive. Mikheyev got a goal but he's not getting in on the forecheck as well, Kuz is a ghost.

Even the Miller line isn't really getting in as effectively as before. I think in general the forwards are dropping the ball on both the forecheck and there just isn't as much effort to help the defence hold the line on rushes. Overall it's giving opposing teams more chances than we've seen in the dominant games they've had. Still finding a way to win least than optimal games but they're also not good enough to be getting credit for that regularly.
That's all a bit over the top for me. They were the better team and the score reflected that. Miller's line won their battle with the Suzuki line and Myers was decent. Petey's line sometimes struggles to maintain zone time as they aren't very heavy on the puck and creating sustained offensive zone time at the moment but I thought Kuzmenko is playing a much better 200 foot game and they generally looked decent.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Kind of scrambly game you get when both teams are bagged. Give the Canucks credit for pulling it together and hanging in there for the win. This is so much better than teams over the last few years that would have sagged and found away to lose.

Good

de Smith - is there a goalie controversy? Make a case that he has been every bit as good as Demko. Pearson for deSmith seems like awesome deal at the present. If he had played in Toronto might have got a point. Demko is still clearly #1 but deSmith has been very good so far and in this game was covering up for often sloppy play around the net

Cole - simply makes the right play all the time. Class showed in this game.

Miller - not at his best but always does so many critical things to help team win. When the game is on the line he is at his best. MVP so far this season.

Boeser - 180 degree turn in terms of effort. Wasn't always successful in getting the puck out but the try was there. Don't know if Tocchet talked to him after the game in TO but that was probably best all round game he has played this season. Even back checked at times. Skating remains issuebut doing his best to compensate for that tonite. Was better on the PP.

Garland - should be the first star. Every shift he made himself a factor. Has real skill just a matter of the team finding ways to harness it. Great game.

Myers - much better in this game. Missed Soucy (and I hope Soucy isn't out long) but worked hard and got the puck up ice well. Keeping people to outside around his net.

Hronek - continues to break up plays at the offensive blue line and around his net. Don't think him and Hughes have been as good lately but still both make major contributions to any win. (do think, however, Hughes is shooting too much when better options seem available - looks like he is trying to prove to the League that his shot is better than some have said - He is so competitive and I think determined to show he is the best - can't blame him for that)

Micheyev - continues to get better and better. Looks like he ready to break out. Playing well both ways and showing a scoring touch

Not So Good

Kuzmenko - not in the play enough and certainly not very good in his end. Asked to do things he's is not that good at - such as playing hard in transition. Doesn't have the knack around the net like last year and there are times when he is not opening himself up for a pass. Last year he was consistently doing this but now is getting himself tied up and not giving himself space. Sometimes looks confused on where he should be. Has brief flurries were he looks ok but overall game is not good enough.

Juulsen - took a clumsy penalty which could have turned the game around. More than this is the way he is backing in on everything. Just running his big butt into the goalie face. Very flat footed in his play around the net and lost positioning around his net. Got some praise from Ferraro but really those were very ordinary plays. If Soucy is out, think team has to look at bringing up Wolanin.

Others

Joshua - Tale of two cities. Sometimes he was working the fore check well and at other times making dangerous cross ice passes and lurching around the Montreal goal crease butchering chances. (luckily Garland finally gift wrapped him a goal - yet even on that Joahua was just clubbing away). Bit of an adventure in this game.

Lafferty - maybe his worse game. Was skating well enough but got himself out of position and made some bad passes and turnovers (especially early in the game.) Got to cut him some slack as he was making the transition to the wing in this game.

Blueger - first couple of shifts were strong but faded after that. Seemed to have trouble picking the up the right man in his zone. Don't want to be too judgmental as it will take him some time to get his game back to an NHL level. You wonder if he might have started in Abby. Think Aman would out play him right now based on this game.

Anyhow an important win and you got to give credit to the team for gutting it out.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
this one felt good, still some stuff to clean up but the work effort was back.. miller this guy is so built for playoffs it isn't even funny

i also appreciate the fact that we are holding the fort and pushing ahead despite kuzmenko being very bland. god does he need a big game in a big way

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Big concern for Soucy. If he’s out for time, that means elevated minutes for Myers and Juulsen playing more. Puts a strain on our D.

But that aside, solid bounce back and road win for the team. DeSmith is giving us very good quality starts which is excellent to see, and the team was a lot more engaged in this one. Getting 2/3 on the road is big, and now we get back to our barn to hopefully add to that.

Will be a test for the team/system for sure.

Injuries happen throughout the year, and good teams can weather it. Not sure if we have the depth yet, especially on the backend.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Watched on delay.

They really picked it up after the 2nd. Montreal still has a way to go but man, botching that 2022 1OA pick and not bottoming out last year may hurt them.

Garland's play in this game is why some people get enamoured with this player. It's not for a lack of hustle but his chemistry with teammates seems to be wildly inconsistent.

Quinn Hughes and JT Miller continue to bring it every game.

Going to guess Pettersson may have some sort of leg injury. His shot accuracy and power isn't quite up to par, and his ability to pivot away from traffic is no longer there.

De Smith has been an awesome addition. He can go in and you don't worry too much about him crapping out.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Are the Canucks for real?
The Habs radio announcers were discussing this during the 2nd intermission.
"Depends on your definition of 'real'?"
"Are they going to continue their 10-3-1 pace for the rest of the season?"
"What does that put them on pace for, I can't do the math?" (me - 123 points!!!! LOL)
"Well no, because they are scoring at a great clip, and that will slow down, then we will see if they are for real." (me- because they aren't the greatest regular season team of all time I guess?)
"Do I think they are cup contenders? No. Do I think they will make noise in the playoffs? Yes. And they should make the playoffs after this start."

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I don’t know. I think you’re being a bit too hard on the team here. They did what they had to do to win. You can’t go balls to the wall every game. You have to manage your energy through an 82 game season, and that’s what they did tonight. Canucks have enough depth that allows for the big guns to relax a bit and still come out with the victory.
Pffftttt…third game in four nights. He probably played three a day. Those table top games can wear a guy down. Their wrists get sore and that’s a lot of standing up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just a solid, bounce-back effort from a team playing its third game in four nights. When the Canucks can get scoring from the bottom of their roster, they're going to be tough to beat.

This is a game where the Canucks simply stuck to their system I don't know what the relative zone time was, but seemed to me that from the opening whistle, the Canucks had loads of minutes in the offensive zone.

Thought without some heroics from Jake Allen, this game could have been over long before the third period. Garland has been one of the Canucks best forwards on this trip--how do you trade him now?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Kind of scrambly game you get when both teams are bagged. Give the Canucks credit for pulling it together and hanging in there for the win. This is so much better than teams over the last few years that would have sagged and found away to lose.

Good

de Smith - is there a goalie controversy? Make a case that he has been every bit as good as Demko. Pearson for deSmith seems like awesome deal at the present. If he had played in Toronto might have got a point. Demko is still clearly #1 but deSmith has been very good so far and in this game was covering up for often sloppy play around the net

Cole - simply makes the right play all the time. Class showed in this game.

Miller - not at his best but always does so many critical things to help team win. When the game is on the line he is at his best. MVP so far this season.

Boeser - 180 degree turn in terms of effort. Wasn't always successful in getting the puck out but the try was there. Don't know if Tocchet talked to him after the game in TO but that was probably best all round game he has played this season. Even back checked at times. Skating remains issuebut doing his best to compensate for that tonite. Was better on the PP.

Garland - should be the first star. Every shift he made himself a factor. Has real skill just a matter of the team finding ways to harness it. Great game.

Myers - much better in this game. Missed Soucy (and I hope Soucy isn't out long) but worked hard and got the puck up ice well. Keeping people to outside around his net.

Hronek - continues to break up plays at the offensive blue line and around his net. Don't think him and Hughes have been as good lately but still both make major contributions to any win. (do think, however, Hughes is shooting too much when better options seem available - looks like he is trying to prove to the League that his shot is better than some have said - He is so competitive and I think determined to show he is the best - can't blame him for that)

Micheyev - continues to get better and better. Looks like he ready to break out. Playing well both ways and showing a scoring touch

Not So Good

Kuzmenko - not in the play enough and certainly not very good in his end. Asked to do things he's is not that good at - such as playing hard in transition. Doesn't have the knack around the net like last year and there are times when he is not opening himself up for a pass. Last year he was consistently doing this but now is getting himself tied up and not giving himself space. Sometimes looks confused on where he should be. Has brief flurries were he looks ok but overall game is not good enough.

Juulsen - took a clumsy penalty which could have turned the game around. More than this is the way he is backing in on everything. Just running his big butt into the goalie face. Very flat footed in his play around the net and lost positioning around his net. Got some praise from Ferraro but really those were very ordinary plays. If Soucy is out, think team has to look at bringing up Wolanin.

Others

Joshua - Tale of two cities. Sometimes he was working the fore check well and at other times making dangerous cross ice passes and lurching around the Montreal goal crease butchering chances. (luckily Garland finally gift wrapped him a goal - yet even on that Joahua was just clubbing away). Bit of an adventure in this game.

Lafferty - maybe his worse game. Was skating well enough but got himself out of position and made some bad passes and turnovers (especially early in the game.) Got to cut him some slack as he was making the transition to the wing in this game.

Blueger - first couple of shifts were strong but faded after that. Seemed to have trouble picking the up the right man in his zone. Don't want to be too judgmental as it will take him some time to get his game back to an NHL level. You wonder if he might have started in Abby. Think Aman would out play him right now based on this game.

Anyhow an important win and you got to give credit to the team for gutting it out.
I think Kuzmenko is not getting as many chances as he did last season due to the new system. Consider the language barrier, might take him a while to get used to it

Reactions: Indiana

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

It's Wolanin time. Juulsen shouldn't be playing at all. Wolanin - Cole would be sweet, they'd complement each other very well.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hughes Freidman
Wolanen Hronek
Cole Myers

Each line has a babysitter, but only 1 line needs it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad