Post-Game Talk: [GM15] Canucks defeat Canadiens | 5-2 (Garland, Mikheyev, Joshua, Boeser, and PDG) | Right Back At It

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don’t know. I think you’re being a bit too hard on the team here. They did what they had to do to win. You can’t go balls to the wall every game. You have to manage your energy through an 82 game season, and that’s what they did tonight. Canucks have enough depth that allows for the big guns to relax a bit and still come out with the victory.
I didn't claim that they should go balls to the wall every game. But last night's effort wasn't great. And tonight was against a middling team. Yes it was a back-to-back but it was also one for the Habs against an equal or arguably better team. So that's a wash.

My stance was always that I'm ok as long as we see progress. And we have for many points in the season. But this game and last seemed like regression. And yeah that was going to happen. But the weaknesses of the team were very clear this weekend. I stand by my assessment. We were lucky to get away with the dangerous and careless passes in the first 1.5 periods by what is normally our best d-pair. Myers was roaming all over the ice again. Juulsen was doing the same. Neither of the top two lines had energy and didn't seem willing to get in hard on the forecheck. Both games.

Before the best lines were humming and Hughes/Hronek was hot too. Now we see what happens when that isn't happening as much. And it shows that the team has a lot of issues in terms of depth especially on the blueline. On the other hand, they found a way to win. Still, this team still has a ways to go before they get benefit of the doubt. If they had lost this game as well then it would look like a very down weekend.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
The Habs radio announcers were discussing this during the 2nd intermission.
"Depends on your definition of 'real'?"
"Are they going to continue their 10-3-1 pace for the rest of the season?"
"What does that put them on pace for, I can't do the math?" (me - 123 points!!!! LOL)
"Well no, because they are scoring at a great clip, and that will slow down, then we will see if they are for real." (me- because they aren't the greatest regular season team of all time I guess?)
"Do I think they are cup contenders? No. Do I think they will make noise in the playoffs? Yes. And they should make the playoffs after this start."
It is a valid question.
I’m not gonna make a lot of friends here saying this but after having watched a few Canucks games and they give “good regular season team but will fall short come playoff time” vibe if I may be honest. Reminds me a bit of the 2007-2008 Canadiens.
If I be was a wild card team in the west, I’d much rather face the Canucks than Vegas, Dallas or Colorado.
Just early season impressions.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I didn't claim that they should go balls to the wall every game. But last night's effort wasn't great. And tonight was against a middling team. Yes it was a back-to-back but it was also one for the Habs against an equal or arguably better team. So that's a wash.

My stance was always that I'm ok as long as we see progress. And we have for many points in the season. But this game and last seemed like regression. And yeah that was going to happen. But the weaknesses of the team were very clear this weekend. I stand by my assessment. We were lucky to get away with the dangerous and careless passes in the first 1.5 periods by what is normally our best d-pair. Myers was roaming all over the ice again. Juulsen was doing the same. Neither of the top two lines had energy and didn't seem willing to get in hard on the forecheck. Both games.

Before the best lines were humming and Hughes/Hronek was hot too. Now we see what happens when that isn't happening as much. And it shows that the team has a lot of issues in terms of depth especially on the blueline. On the other hand, they found a way to win. Still, this team still has a ways to go before they get benefit of the doubt. If they had lost this game as well then it would look like a very down weekend.
I think it will take more time to really get rid of the bad habits that has been here for so long.
They should be home soon, hope they get like a practice or two before Wed to reinforce those good habits.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It is a valid question.
I’m not gonna make a lot of friends here saying this but after having watched a few Canucks games and they give “good regular season team but will fall short come playoff time” vibe if I may be honest. Reminds me a bit of the 2007-2008 Canadiens.
If I be was a wild card team in the west, I’d much rather face the Canucks than Vegas, Dallas or Colorado.

A bit of recency bias, I'd much rather take on the Avs right now, who are playing like dog feces. I think the 3 big dogs are Vegas, Vancouver and LA. The rest of the conference isn't that scary.

Reactions: Indiana and Nomobo

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I think this is very fair and sober.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It is a valid question.
You’re not wrong. I can see our depth scoring really dry up in a tight playoff series, which compounds when Petey or Miller aren’t going. And as it stands now, one injury to any defenseman immediately puts in someone like Juulsen and moves Myers up.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
You’re not wrong. I can see our depth scoring really dry up in a tight playoff series, which compounds when Petey or Miller aren’t going. And as it stands now, one injury to any defenseman immediately puts in someone like Juulsen and moves Myers up.
Thats a net - - - over only two transactions.

Reactions: wonton15

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
It is a valid question.
Lucky for us it's to early to make those observations!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Casey flexing and readying for hockey
casey-flex-tmnt-casey-jones-flex-game.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad