GM Ron Hextall

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So that's the second year in a row the Flyers got a third round pick for someone who was on waivers by the trade deadline.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just added up the net gains and losses via trade since Hextall took over:

In:

Radko Gudas
R.J. Umberger
Sam Gagner (expiring)
Jordan Weal
1st rounder (Travis Konecny)
1st rounder (German Rubtsov)
2nd rounder (Pascal Laberge)
2nd rounder (Wade Allison)
3rd rounder (Felix Sandström)
3rd rounder (Matej Tomek)
3rd rounder (Carsen Twarynski)
3rd rounder (2017)
4th rounder (Mikhail Vorobyov)
4th rounder (2017)
6th rounder (Anthony Salinitri)

Out:

Scott Hartnell
Chris Pronger (dead cap space)
Vincent Lecavalier (retiring)
Tye McGinn (waived within a year)
Zac Rinaldo (waived within a year)
Braydon Coburn (expiring)
Kimmo Timonen (expiring)
Nicklas Grossmann (expiring)
Luke Schenn (expiring)
1st rounder (Gabriel Carlsson)
1st rounder (Logan Stanley)
2nd rounder (Jeremy Bracco)
3rd rounder (Luke Green)
4th rounder (Otto Koivula)
4th rounder (Austin Wagner)

I mean... that is pretty ridiculous when written down like that.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nice list.

I think there should be a 4th in 2017 on the In list; from NYI who took Koivula with the 2016 4th we got from Arizona (who got it from San Jose).

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
Great work as always, Appleyard. :toolazytolookuphandclapemoji:

Getting picks for throw-away players is sweet, and the draft trade ups and downs have been masterful, but, to me, the best part is how we don't waste draft picks from the 2nd round and later on players who are gritty career AHLers at best.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It wasn't a pick he added, but selecting Lindblom in the 5th round could be the Hextall move we look back on as a difference maker. I see him being a top 9 fixture as early as next season, possibly top 6.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
It wasn't a pick he added, but selecting Lindblom in the 5th round could be the Hextall move we look back on as a difference maker. I see him being a top 9 fixture as early as next season, possibly top 6.

Yeah, Lindblom in the 5th and getting Myers for free. I really think we're sleeping on Myers as a fanbase, and it wouldn't shock me at all if he turned out to be our third best d-man in 5 years.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
So beside Gudas he hasn't acquired an active player who has come in and contributed. He's done a nice job, but he hasn't demonstrated the ability to significantly improve the team by acquiring a player yet.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So beside Gudas he hasn't acquired an active player who has come in and contributed. He's done a nice job, but he hasn't demonstrated the ability to significantly improve the team by acquiring a player yet.

Because he's not a dumbass who tries to make shortsighted additions. He's adding people who will contribute in a big way a few years down the road, which is far more important.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I like the attempt at negatively spinning turning Kimmo & Coburn into a 26 year old top 4 dman, and a 19 year old top six wing. :laugh:

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Hextall's biggest negative right now is not getting rid of VdV. Hopefully, he corrects that after this season is over.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I am hoping that Lindblom could eventually replace Simmonds in the top 6.

Crazy that in the next 3 years, we technically don't need anyone to "become" top 6 players as those slots are filled with very good players.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Lindblom could end up being his biggest draft gem easily, however Konecny added in with Gudas makes that Coburn deal pretty amazing and it's easy to forget that he traded down for Konecny in a pretty savvy draft day move. In a re-draft it's fair to say he could have gone much farther up which, going by all accounts, Hextall felt he should have and felt comfortable trading down because he knew there wasn't significant danger of him being picked in the picks in between.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It becomes a massive issue if it means that Cousins and Laughton have to sit in the press box instead of gaining experience while playing NHL games.

My point is that if his biggest problem that he's got a fourth liner playing too much, he's doing pretty well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad