GM Ron Hextall

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Can't wait to see where this team at camp. is it to early to believe that we will be a better team next season?

My Optimistic Line Combos for next season based off of current players. (Although I hope more changes are coming)

Simmonds - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - B.Schenn
Raffl - Laughton - Gagner
Bellmare - White - Umberger

Morin - Streit
Del Zotto - Schenn
Medvedev - Ghost
extra: Gudas

Honestly though, I can see the lines being completely different with a new coach and more changes in the off season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The ONLY mistake he's made so far was signing Rinaldo. Everything else has been varying degrees of good to great, always with the future in mind.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah he's looked pretty damned good thus far. Still too early to tell on a lot of the moves...but he's off to a helluva start.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
nope
hartnell trade
one of the worst from any team in the league last year

I just don't understand how people refuse to grasp that, that trade was for cap relief 3 years down the line.....

Hartnell is my favorite Flyer ever. But by the time that deal is winding down its going to be bad, and Umberger will be gone.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Umberger may be bought out next year anyway.

Cap hit for a buyout next year is:

1.6MM in 2016
1.5MM in 2017

Peanuts.

While Columbus has 4.75MM for 2016/2017/2018

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't understand how a trade that got us a worse player (who helped get us to finished lower) + a quick cap space is a bad trade?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Whatever you say. Not arguing with a contrarian. :laugh:

you write that as if I am the only person disgusted by the negative return on 25-30 goal scoring fwd who performed as he almost always did this past season whose contract will maybe become a bad/not-cap friendly deal some years in the future

it's a bad trade, no matter how you look at it
apologists/fanbois will apologize

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Im actually fine with the Rinaldo signing. One thing Hextall took away from his time in LA is that its important to keep a team together when there are key role players in the room. Rinaldo is an energizing player on the ice, like it or not, but when hes running around like a cannonball, it fires up his team. For a team whose biggest struggle was playing in the first period, that type of effect is important. His personality is also probably energizing in the locker room too. "Enforcers" and goons are almost always the guys who help keep everyone loose

It was Berubes fault for playing him on the first line and third line at times.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Umberger may be bought out next year anyway.

Cap hit for a buyout next year is:

1.6MM in 2016
1.5MM in 2017

Peanuts.

While Columbus has 4.75MM for 2016/2017/2018

Well, in fairness, they also have Scott Hartnell putting up 60 points and being a fan favorite and probably a locker room favorite as well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Im actually fine with the Rinaldo signing. One thing Hextall took away from his time in LA is that its important to keep a team together when there are key role players in the room. Rinaldo is an energizing player on the ice, like it or not, but when hes running around like a cannonball, it fires up his team. For a team whose biggest struggle was playing in the first period, that type of effect is important. His personality is also probably energizing in the locker room too. "Enforcers" and goons are almost always the guys who help keep everyone loose

That doesn't justify it & there's really nothing out there that can. It was a stupid signing & Rinaldo shouldn't be on this team. I'm still holding out that he'll rectify that mistake by demoting him.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well, in fairness, they also have Scott Hartnell putting up 60 points and being a fan favorite and probably a locker room favorite as well.

Nobody said he wasn't a good player. He was the better player. Hartnell couldn't skate worth of crap either. How many times has Hextall said over and over, he wants good skaters.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA

Agreed, I'm ok with the Rinaldo signing. I may be slightly biased as I'm a big fan of the energizer role. The thing is that Rinaldo is only good for that one thing, and Berube took that one thing away from him yet continued to play him which made no sense... He neutered the team of physicality, emotion and energy and yet continued to play a guy who is only good at that and nothing else?? :shakehead

As for the Hartnell trade, I understand it, everyone understands it but like a lot of fans I was hoping for a better return than Umberger. I find it very hard to believe that he was the best option.

Other than that Hexy has been fantastic, a breath of fresh air almost. He got great value from Timo and Coburn, the Grossman/Pronger trade was so good and pretty hilarious, he had some amazing first round picks. I'm excited for the future!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Considering Rinaldo was just traded. I think you can scratch one move off his "bad" list

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Well look, it was hextall first year as GM, he himself is learning from his own decisions.

He is getting better, each day. Lets forget the past, forget hartnell he's gone and not coming back.

Hextall is focused on Youth, development and last year and this years draft, shows he knows what he is doing.

As far as rinaldo goes, he will be gone when the players being develop are ready. He is here to basically help the current time pass.

Bottom line, lets now see how he does in entering free agency after having 1 year under his belt.

I want to see him attack the minute 1201 am comes on july 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad