Speculation: GM Lou Lamoriello to take lesser role with team?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I want Lou Lam to negotiate the Matthews next contract and then after that I'm OK with whatever happens thereafter pretty much.

We saw how the young pups botched the Kessel deal and so its important to have experience handling the Matthews franchise changing contract.

yeah retaining on an elite player was a slap. Part of the problem was that the ballast in the trade wouldn't waive to come here, but still...the Leafs got owned. Great deal for Pittsburgh and they're going for the threepeat.

Having said that I'm not sure who's going to save the Leafs a bunch of money on a 20 year old who is one of the top players in hockey. Especially after the contract Eichel got.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Seriously.

Hunter who played in the NHL with many of the leagues current GM and hockey management people who are the people a GM needs to work with.

Dubas was a minor hockey player and has very little in the way of relationships with currrent NHL management types.

Hunter will not work under Dubas and who can blame him. It really is not a difficult concept and I do not understand why you are having trouble with the facts.

That literally means nothing in terms of relationships. Plenty of rookie GMs with various levels of experience at playing or managing have went on to be some of the best execs in the league. This is essentially just you saying whatever you think is happening with no facts. Dubas isn't an assistant GM with a pacifer in his mouth and in his parents basement doing literally nothing. He was an agent, a scout, an OHL GM and now a NHL executive. He was approached by a NHL team to take over their hockey operations... but yeah, he's got nothing going for him.

Having played in the NHL means literally nothing in terms of your current skill as a manager, scout or even having any sort of relationships with other GMs. Most of these relationships aren't exactly hard to build either.

The concept is flawed because you're believing whatever you want to believe and are just saying things without any facts.

I'm all for praising Hunter and crapping on Dubas if the information is there but it's starting to become a little much with this.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Mark Hunter having an advantage because he played in the same league as some other executives 25-30 years ago is a rather weak argument.
It is a reality and not a weak argument at all. He has been around the game for a long time and had established relationships with most NHL executives and if you think that is a weak argument then you need to learn just how the all boys club that is the NHL works.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It is a reality and not a weak argument at all. He has been around the game for a long time and had established relationships with most NHL executives and if you think that is a weak argument then you need to learn just how the all boys club that is the NHL works.
He might very well have established relationships, but they are more likely from having been an executive for 12 years (and a coach for quite a while before that) where he dealt with these people, not because they played in the same league 25 years ago. The latter is what you used as an argument, and what I found weak.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That literally means nothing in terms of relationships. Plenty of rookie GMs with various levels of experience at playing or managing have went on to be some of the best execs in the league. This is essentially just you saying whatever you think is happening with no facts. Dubas isn't an assistant GM with a pacifer in his mouth and in his parents basement doing literally nothing. He was an agent, a scout a OHL GM and now a NHL executive... good lord.

The concept is flawed because you're believing whatever you want to believe.
Name more then two NHL GM who have been successful over the last 20 years that did not have lots of NHL connections.

Just because you do not like my reason why Hunter is the better choice does not mean it is irrelevant or flawed.

The resume alone is seriously lopsided as well. So I see no need to post Hunters.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He might very well have established relationships, but they are more likely from having been an executive for 12 years (and a coach for quite a while before that) where he dealt with these people, not because they played in the same league 25 years ago. The latter is what you used as an argument, and what I found weak.
I have stated he has established relationships with NHL executives. Never thought that I had to write his resume to establish real facts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I have stated he has established relationships with NHL executives. Never thought that I had to write his resume to establish real facts.
You stated that he had established relationships due to his playing career. I have not argued that he doesn't have relationships with NHL executives, I have argued that it's not significantly due to a playing career that ended 25 years ago when he has 12 years as an important hockey executive since.

Here:
Hunter who played in the NHL with many of the leagues current GM and hockey management people
This and only this is what I addressed. Stop trying to make it about something else.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Name more then two NHL GM who have been successful over the last 20 years that did not have lots of NHL connections.

Just because you do not like my reason why Hunter is the better choice does not mean it is irrelevant or flawed.

The resume alone is seriously lopsided as well. So I see no need to post Hunters.

I mean, it's impossible to know who had connections who didn't? Considering Dubas has been a NHL executive for a few years, you can only assume he's got plenty of experience there. He was an agent for a few NHL players right now as well. Just because someone is older, it doesn't mean their connections are better or anything... I don't know what to tell you. Even if Hunters 'connections' are better simply because he played hockey at a pro level, that doesn't mean he's better equipped to be a GM.

You cannot say Hunter has more or less connections than someone like Dubas. Just saying it doesn't make it so. Playing experience decades ago is hardly something that would give anyone some sort of advantage in "connections" when the landscapes is so much different.

It's funny though that his current mentor came up the grape vines decades ago without any pro experience and is now a future HHOF executive.

I'm a fan of Hunter but your arguments for him are terrible to say the least.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You stated that he had established relationships due to his playing career. I have not argued that he doesn't have relationships with NHL executives, I have argued that it's not significantly due to a playing career that ended 25 years ago when he has 12 years as an important hockey executive since.

Here:

This and only this is what I addressed. Stop trying to make it about something else.
You are the one focusing on only one post...I simply said that he would be the better choice as he has established NHL connections. I used playing career as an example a very valid one as he played with and against many Current NHL excutives not to mention his whole family.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I think Lou will be back for at least one more year if not two. After that, he could have an advisory role like Lemaire. He may be old but his mind is still as sharp as a tack.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I want Lou Lam to negotiate the Matthews next contract and then after that I'm OK with whatever happens thereafter pretty much.

We saw how the young pups botched the Kessel deal and so its important to have experience handling the Matthews franchise changing contract.

Shanahan did not 'botch up' the Kessel deal.
this is the question you have to ask yourself. did you want Kessel on this team in 2015? if the answer is no, then stop complaining about retaining money, because the only team that was taking him was Pittsburgh and the players that would have made it work out cap wise didn't want to come here.

yeah retaining on an elite player was a slap. Part of the problem was that the ballast in the trade wouldn't waive to come here, but still...the Leafs got owned. Great deal for Pittsburgh and they're going for the threepeat.

Having said that I'm not sure who's going to save the Leafs a bunch of money on a 20 year old who is one of the top players in hockey. Especially after the contract Eichel got.

no they didn't?
they got picks (which turned into Andersen), Kapanen, and no more Kessel saga here. there was no 'ownage'.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I am done with this thread stated my choice and reasons why. Just remember that Hunter will be gone if we choose Dubas and that would be a huge loss.
I would also choose Hunter over Dubas. He still has another 15 years to go before retirement. Hunter not only has a keen eye for talent but he also has a s**t load of contacts around the globe. There is no way he sticks around if Dubas is his boss. That would be an incredibly stupid move by Shanny.

member 300185

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this...

On Headlines yesterday, it was said that Lamoriello may step away from the GM role for next season. Both Friedman and Johnston said that Lamoriello may not be on the last year of his contract but that this may be his last year as the GM to transition to an advisory role.

Would Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello take lesser role with team? - Sportsnet.ca

Dubas is likely to take over. He's been with the organization since the Shanahan take over rebuild. He's been learning from Lamoriello for awhile now as well. He's done great work with the Marlies and seems to have a good eye for finding gems.

This seems to support the theory last season when the Avalanche tried to hire Dubas that the Leafs declined the job interview or whatever as they want Dubas to take over very soon, which may be as soon as next season.
I'd say Hunter first, then Kyle after a few years.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Very true.

Not too mention any of the connections he made since he was an agent or an executive in the OHL since he was 18 that now work in NHL circles.

Like I get Dubas will only be 33 this year, but he’s been working for the Greyhounds since he was 14 (IIRC?) and in official executive roles in hockey for the past 15 years.

We have two great options internally if Lou is indeed moving over. I’m not sure why some are worrying about it.

member 300185

Do do you know how it works? Please do tell...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder if he was thought about for the Carolina GM position?

I believe Dreger speculated that Carolina could be interested, but he was never leaked by McKenzie or Friedman as a candidate.

Thing is, Kyle Dubas likely earns a whole lot more than $400K as AGM in Toronto, the province he is from.

I think the Carolina GM will be someone not currently employed looking for a branch back into the league

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
All the arguments against Dubas are so weak lol.

Either way, Dubas or Hunter will do perfectly fine. And if the one that isnt chosen leaves the organization, then oh well. Lets not act like these guys arent replaceable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad