GDT: GM#73 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Well with Lewis likely out, one of Iafallo or Amadio has to return and I'd be really shocked if both aren't in.

The lineup vs. Minn just had to much grit and not enough speed and skill in the bottom six. The Kings are going to need to get some kind of scoring from the bottom six if they want to have any kind of playoff run.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sorry to say I missed the entire game as I was on a flight to Seattle.

We may yet get to see some playoff hockey in April. The California swing for Colorado for three of their last four games is going to be the key for the Avs season.

Reactions: KingTrouty

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Can't Ranford get him stop swimming? Can't the coaches see this (happening almost every game)?

I don't think you want to though, it turns him into something he's not. The first goal by Parise, he was frozen on a great shot fake in the slot, then had to play catchup, it LOOKS like he was out of position, and if you ignore what Parise did, sure you can argue that, but he has to play that shot every time, and rely on his D not to allow Parise access across.

Second goal, not much you are gonna do, great shot, full speed off the off foot, only way that was not going to score is if Staal missed his spot.

Third goal, he got lost on, going from memory, he was playing the wrap around, and the MIN player made a nice pass back the other way to Eriksson-Ek who had the step on Thompson, and then Quick pushed back over as Eriksson-Ek went across, so Quick was pushing the wrong way to catch up on the pass, and Eriksson-Ek had the patience to go around him, great play. Quick could have been better on that goal, but again, he was playing the wrap around, if he doesn't do that, the guy tucks it in, everyone is up in arms, guy makes a great pass and that's all you can do etc.

I find that a lot of people on this board, absolutely can not give credit to other teams for the plays they make, it's incredible really.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Can't Ranford get him stop swimming? Can't the coaches see this (happening almost every game)?
i'd just like to see him hold his posts a bit better

so many times a night we see him almost get victimized by wraps cause he comes out so far as a guy skates the puck behind the net, he has to go back to his near post from outside the crease, THEN make his push across to the other post. usually ends up being a desperation push then he's out of position

someone might have got in his ear before the 3rd because he had feet on both posts a couple times which you rarely see. i'd just like to see a guy who basically created the rvh actually use the rvh to its benefit

that said, how do you tone down aggression? then maybe he doesn't even come out to challenge staal's shot and a worse shot beats him too?

Reactions: efhank

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think you want to though, it turns him into something he's not. The first goal by Parise, he was frozen on a great shot fake in the slot, then had to play catchup, it LOOKS like he was out of position, and if you ignore what Parise did, sure you can argue that, but he has to play that shot every time, and rely on his D not to allow Parise access across.

Second goal, not much you are gonna do, great shot, full speed off the off foot, only way that was not going to score is if Staal missed his spot.

Third goal, he got lost on, going from memory, he was playing the wrap around, and the MIN player made a nice pass back the other way to Eriksson-Ek who had the step on Thompson, and then Quick pushed back over as Eriksson-Ek went across, so Quick was pushing the wrong way to catch up on the pass, and Eriksson-Ek had the patience to go around him, great play. Quick could have been better on that goal, but again, he was playing the wrap around, if he doesn't do that, the guy tucks it in, everyone is up in arms, guy makes a great pass and that's all you can do etc.

I find that a lot of people on this board, absolutely can not give credit to other teams for the plays they make, it's incredible really.

That first one...yeah. Parise's no slouch, and when he's given infinite time to cruise down the slot, freeze the goaltender, then take the puck outside with NO pressure from in front or behind, that's essentially a breakaway with a pass option. Would have needed to be a monster save.

That Staal shot was just god tier.

I agree that I didn't like the third one, but it was a great play, and he redeemed himself with a literal game-saving save literally the next play. That's one of Quick's weaknesses though and you see SJ in particular play for it, lots of behind the net puck movement.

He didn't steal the game, but there's a lot of "Quick is terrible, fix him" stuff lately which is terrible because he's been good-to-great most nights. Even with the terrible stretch he had after whatever 'injury' was going on, he's top-10 in everything from real starters, his biggest 'problem' is that he's not aesthetically pleasing to some people, and like @tny760 points out, if you take away that aggression, you're just left with a passive standup goaltender who is going to get ripped to shreds. It's not like Ranford isn't coaching him, you're just talking about an experienced goalie.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
So what happened to Lewis? I only caught the tail end of the game on tv and the end of the first on radio. I thought Forbort was out with a concussion after the first.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That first one...yeah. Parise's no slouch, and when he's given infinite time to cruise down the slot, freeze the goaltender, then take the puck outside with NO pressure from in front or behind, that's essentially a breakaway with a pass option. Would have needed to be a monster save.

That Staal shot was just god tier.

I agree that I didn't like the third one, but it was a great play, and he redeemed himself with a literal game-saving save literally the next play. That's one of Quick's weaknesses though and you see SJ in particular play for it, lots of behind the net puck movement.

He didn't steal the game, but there's a lot of "Quick is terrible, fix him" stuff lately which is terrible because he's been good-to-great most nights. Even with the terrible stretch he had after whatever 'injury' was going on, he's top-10 in everything from real starters, his biggest 'problem' is that he's not aesthetically pleasing to some people, and like @tny760 points out, if you take away that aggression, you're just left with a passive standup goaltender who is going to get ripped to shreds. It's not like Ranford isn't coaching him, you're just talking about an experienced goalie.

Agreed, really didn't like the 3rd one but as you watch the replay, you can at the very least understand his thinking on it, his teammates really didn't help him out on any of the three, but the MIN players made some fantastic plays as well.

Hoping for tonight's game we see Amadio back in, Reider out, and Iafallo back in

Would be nice to see Kempe with Carter or Kopitar, but I would like to see these lines,

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Carter - Amadio
Pearson - Thompson - Toffoli
Clifford - Mitchell - Andreoff

Not sure of that 3rd line, but I think putting Carter with Kempe and Amadio would make a dynamic line,

If things keep shaking out, imagine we could have 3 solid scoring lines next year, just need a 3rd line pivot who has the offensive touch and responsible D...in otherwords, a unicorn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad