GDT: GM#73 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not even close. Quick is quite bad at "imaging what the opposing players will do" when they attack the Kings net.

- and pre-plan-move to counteract the most likely course of action the opposing players will take / react accordingly (rarely happens)

you are clearly misguided there.
I don't think we are on the same page as to what reading the play means.

There is a reason quick is known for his unreal side to side saves and it's not because he pushes off better than other goalies

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Not even close. Quick is quite bad at "imaging what the opposing players will do" when they attack the Kings net.

- and pre-plan-move to counteract the most likely course of action the opposing players will take / react accordingly (rarely happens)

you are clearly misguided there.

Exactly, he reads plays extremly poorly.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I literally do not even know how to respond to the claim that Quick is terrible at reading the play because it makes me wonder if I'm watching the same game as others.

When he gets scored on, yes, sometimes he makes a bad read, which will kill a reactionary goalie. I'm on board with that.

Saying he consistently reads the play terribly? How can he possibly be such a good, athletic-style goalie if his entire game depends on reflexes and reads, but he reads poorly all day and all night? Before you say 'he's not good,' keep in mind this is a guy who has, at worst, been consistently top-10 amongst workload starters, even in "bad" seasons, and even better by many other metrics (advanced and otherwise)--so that's a factually incorrect claim. Address the idea that he can't read plays well, because I feel like it's impossible to complain about both things as they work against each other: either he's too athletic and overreacting, or he's dumb and not reacting appropriately.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am one of Quick's biggest supporters, but his game is a little off right now. When he is really on he is down low tracking the puck and explodes to make a save with short compact moves. Right now he is sliding out of position and swimming more than he usually does.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He is definitely doing a bit more swimming lately, biting early trying to anticipate the play.

He has supreme confidence in his ability to get back in time for the crazy save, but he's being waited out by patient shooters.

I'm more concerned with goals like the 2nd goal last night and the 2nd/3rd goals against NJ. Nice shots, sure, but he's looking right at them.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
3rd wild goal last night (I have no idea how to add a video) - swimming like he was trying out for the olympic swim team.

and I'll go precog as say the 1st Winnipeg goal tonight... :sarcasm:

Do you realize what happened? He was correctly playing the wraparound and the guy made a great pass against the grain

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Do you realize what happened? He was correctly playing the wraparound and the guy made a great pass against the grain

And it's obvious what happened if anyone bothered to watch a replay. Couldn't get a push off after coming back to that side so he was stuck

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
And how is that a poor read? Just curious

Sorry if I was unclear but I’m on your side haha. Just saying why it wasn’t a bad read. Good passing play behind the net which beat the push back. Most goalies that’s a goal on a one timer because they didn’t get back to the left post in the first place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad