GDT: GM#73 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
i'd just like to see him hold his posts a bit better

so many times a night we see him almost get victimized by wraps cause he comes out so far as a guy skates the puck behind the net, he has to go back to his near post from outside the crease, THEN make his push across to the other post. usually ends up being a desperation push then he's out of position

someone might have got in his ear before the 3rd because he had feet on both posts a couple times which you rarely see. i'd just like to see a guy who basically created the rvh actually use the rvh to its benefit

that said, how do you tone down aggression? then maybe he doesn't even come out to challenge staal's shot and a worse shot beats him too?
Exactly!! It’s all about him still being able to play goal a little deeper in his net. Then everything else calms down a bit. He just over reacting to so many plays.

Reactions: tny760

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Exactly!! It’s all about him still being able to play goal a little deeper in his net. Then everything else calms down a bit. He just over reacting to so many plays.
I don't understand why people want Jonathan Quick to play like every other mediocre goalie. His athleticism allows him to be the most aggressive goalie in the game. His aggressiveness is what makes him one of the best goalies in the game. I'm just gonna sit back and appreciate the greatness.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Maybe Vilardi will be that guy

Maybe, but, truthfully, unless he's stout defensively, I think you need to put him in the minors for a year, go out, get a FA C to fill that role, and allow Vilardi to develop properly,

Worst thing in the world is do what we have done in the past and put guys in because there are holes etc, simmer them until they are nice and ready,

Kempe learned the pro game in the minors, Vilardi is going to have to do the same,

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Maybe, but, truthfully, unless he's stout defensively, I think you need to put him in the minors for a year, go out, get a FA C to fill that role, and allow Vilardi to develop properly,

Worst thing in the world is do what we have done in the past and put guys in because there are holes etc, simmer them until they are nice and ready,

Kempe learned the pro game in the minors, Vilardi is going to have to do the same,
He can only stay in the OHL or play for the Kings. No AHL

He's ready to play, and is gonna be very good. I think he's gonna make a great third liner next year if that's where he's played.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

If Vilardi could go to the ahl I would totally agree with the way your thinking however i don't think he can . I believe its nhl or back to the ohl There is no ahl option due to his age. I would love to start him in the nhl and then loan his to the Canadian jr team for the xmass tournament. He would gain a lot of experience there and it would be great for his development playing against the best players his own age. Then make a decision based on his play.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He can only stay in the OHL or play for the Kings. No AHL

He's ready to play, and is gonna be very good. I think he's gonna make a great third liner next year if that's where he's played.

That's an extremely tough call to make, kid's gonna be 19, so you are right, I don't know if you want to ruin his confidence by playing him the entire year IF he's not ready etc.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well I'm assuming he'll be ready from all that I've read :)

You never know, I heard his skating needs some work, but I wouldn't him breaking camp with them, then getting into a few games, make a determination at that point, but I still think they need to go find a solid two-way C who can anchor a 3rd line....if we roll out Iafallo, Kopitar, Brown, then Kempe, Carter, and Toffoli or Amadio etc, then a 3rd line of Pearson, Amadio(FA) Toffoli(FA) is a solid solid top nine

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
You never know, I heard his skating needs some work, but I wouldn't him breaking camp with them, then getting into a few games, make a determination at that point, but I still think they need to go find a solid two-way C who can anchor a 3rd line....if we roll out Iafallo, Kopitar, Brown, then Kempe, Carter, and Toffoli or Amadio etc, then a 3rd line of Pearson, Amadio(FA) Toffoli(FA) is a solid solid top nine
Iafallo - Kopi - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toff
Kempe - Vilardi/Amadio - Vilardi/Amadio

If Vilardi sticks (and he should), he could be a huge key to a well balanced top 6. Amadio developing is also important. Vilardi is a more sure thing than Amadio, imo

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Iafallo - Kopi - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toff
Kempe - Vilardi/Amadio - Vilardi/Amadio

If Vilardi sticks (and he should), he could be a huge key to a well balanced top 6. Amadio developing is also important. Vilardi is a more sure thing than Amadio, imo

Agree, but I moved the discussion over to the actual thread instead of hashing it out in a GDT lol

Reactions: KingTrouty

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
That's an extreme overstatement but he certainly had what may have been the worst game I've ever seen him play.
I watched the game after the fact but I didn't take that away. Surprised so many of you did. He had one bad giveaway to a wild player in his own zone. OItherwise he didn't look horrid to me. Not Doughty-on-a-saturday-afternoon bad if you know what I mean. Maybe I was less stressed though, since I already knew they won :)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't think you want to though, it turns him into something he's not. The first goal by Parise, he was frozen on a great shot fake in the slot, then had to play catchup, it LOOKS like he was out of position, and if you ignore what Parise did, sure you can argue that, but he has to play that shot every time, and rely on his D not to allow Parise access across.

Second goal, not much you are gonna do, great shot, full speed off the off foot, only way that was not going to score is if Staal missed his spot.

Third goal, he got lost on, going from memory, he was playing the wrap around, and the MIN player made a nice pass back the other way to Eriksson-Ek who had the step on Thompson, and then Quick pushed back over as Eriksson-Ek went across, so Quick was pushing the wrong way to catch up on the pass, and Eriksson-Ek had the patience to go around him, great play. Quick could have been better on that goal, but again, he was playing the wrap around, if he doesn't do that, the guy tucks it in, everyone is up in arms, guy makes a great pass and that's all you can do etc.

I find that a lot of people on this board, absolutely can not give credit to other teams for the plays they make, it's incredible really.

I've got very little negative to say about Quick most of the time, but he has been way to scrambly for my liking most of the year. Even when he's making the saves he all over the place and doesn't look like he's in control. Is it the end of the world? No, but I'd like to see him settle down a bit.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yup, even fans of opposing teams notice how much Quick is flopping.

Give the man a ghettoblaster.

source.gif

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Quick has always walked a fine line between athlete and goalie. He's not technically sound on any consistent basis, so when he's too much athlete, it's going to get weird. When he's able to get himself on that line, it's tough to beat him.

Doesn't help him with the way the league is now, or the turnover on the roster. Doughty and Muzzin can't interfere with guys going down the boards anymore. Forbort isn't Regehr, Scuderi, Mitchell, or Greene.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
I watched the game after the fact but I didn't take that away. Surprised so many of you did. He had one bad giveaway to a wild player in his own zone. OItherwise he didn't look horrid to me. Not Doughty-on-a-saturday-afternoon bad if you know what I mean. Maybe I was less stressed though, since I already knew they won :)
I don't watch these games as closely as you guys do but I certainly noticed AM on at least 4 occasions where he made an uncharacteristically bad play. So I think it was a noticeably weaker performance. I'm sure he'll bounce back tonight.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Martinez was making some awful passes all throughout the game. To Carter's skates on an outnumbered attack, which directly led to an outnumbered counter attack by Minnesota. He also made a terrible pass in OT that nearly led to a breakaway for Minnesota. Those are the "shoot yourself in the foot" plays that bite you, and Martinez had a few of those last night. Hopefully he rebounds with a stronger game tonight.

Seems like Doughty responded well after playing his worst game of his career on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad