GDT: GM#73 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Quick has always walked a fine line between athlete and goalie. He's not technically sound on any consistent basis, so when he's too much athlete, it's going to get weird. When he's able to get himself on that line, it's tough to beat him.

Doesn't help him with the way the league is now, or the turnover on the roster. Doughty and Muzzin can't interfere with guys going down the boards anymore. Forbort isn't Regehr, Scuderi, Mitchell, or Greene.

He'd be a great goalie if he played more technically and less athletically.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I guess I just don't understand this statement. The thing that makes Quick unique is his athleticism. This allows him to get further out of the crease to cut down angles -- more than any other goalie. He can get away with this because his explosive lateral movement allows him to recover if the puck goes side-to-side. While it looks like he's "flopping", his unbelievable core strength allows him to stay upright and square as he's moving laterally. The only problem I've seen with Quick is he gets bored sometimes and loses focus within the season. But when he's on top of his game, there's no one better.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Quick definitely does tend to make our hearts skip a beat, but his style is the closest to match this guys...

A goalie playing that style in the era of Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, etc. was able to capture 6 Vezina Trophies, Stanley Cups, Olympic Gold, and 2 Hart Trophies.

I don't think he'll change his style much, but he certainly was very floppy last night.

With that said, I certainly do hope he gets the start again tonight. I am terrified of Jack Campbell having to face the Jets and that offense. Laine will score 10 goals tonight if he's in net.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I guess I just don't understand this statement. The thing that makes Quick unique is his athleticism. This allows him to get further out of the crease to cut down angles -- more than any other goalie. He can get away with this because his explosive lateral movement allows him to recover if the puck goes side-to-side. While it looks like he's "flopping", his unbelievable core strength allows him to stay upright and square as he's moving laterally. The only problem I've seen with Quick is he gets bored sometimes and loses focus within the season. But when he's on top of his game, there's no one better.

"unbelievable core strength" this has to be Jim's account lol.

Whether he's bored or not his positioning has become garbage. He's being extremly over aggressive. Earlier this year when he was killing it he was putting more focus on the technical side and was being cerebral with his movements. Come January, that went out the window. He's literally fighting every shot and is never set.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Quick definitely does tend to make our hearts skip a beat, but his style is the closest to match this guys...

A goalie playing that style in the era of Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, etc. was able to capture 6 Vezina Trophies, Stanley Cups, Olympic Gold, and 2 Hart Trophies.

I don't think he'll change his style much, but he certainly was very floppy last night.

With that said, I certainly do hope he gets the start again tonight. I am terrified of Jack Campbell having to face the Jets and that offense. Laine will score 10 goals tonight if he's in net.

Similar style, but he had a much better all around skill set.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Seems like you ruffled their feathers. That's what you get when you try to be nice and hand out likes. :laugh:
They can't take jokes. Sad, if the Kings win today I gotta go like their stuff again.

One poster said I was Top 3 most annoying poster on the Boards. That means I'm elite and likely have great corsi

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
They can't take jokes. Sad, if the Kings win today I gotta go like their stuff again.

One poster said I was Top 3 most annoying poster on the Boards. That means I'm elite and likely have great corsi
They called us a cesspool lol

That comment definitely received a Like

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Quick has always been an athletic goalie no question about it. Like Sol mentioned I believe he has been over playing his technique since the beginning of January, he needs to tone it down and he'll benefit a lot from it. He has been sliding too much and completely getting out of the crease, he needs to simplify his game it'll work better for him and lessen the chance of him injuring himself. He was really great beginning of the season, he was in sound in position and made Quick like saves when needed.

There's only a few games left, everyone needs to be their best.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Quick has always been an athletic goalie no question about it. Like Sol mentioned I believe he has been over playing his technique since the beginning of January, he needs to tone it down and he'll benefit a lot from it. He has been sliding too much and completely getting out of the crease, he needs to simplify his game it'll work better for him and lessen the chance of him injuring himself. He was really great beginning of the season, he was in sound in position and made Quick like saves when needed.

There's only a few games left, everyone needs to be their best.

Thats exactly it. People think I bash Quick just because when in the beginning of the season especially before January I was always praising him and talking about how much better he's doing since he's not challenging every shot..i remember telling RJ that Quick is playing more conservative which is really helping him make more key saves..

Thats all gone now. He stopped doing that. Stats aside he's constantly out of position and is getting beat by players far away from the net. His positioning and technical side are completely gone for the most part.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Thats exactly it. People think I bash Quick just because when in the beginning of the season especially before January I was always praising him and talking about how much better he's doing since he's not challenging every shot..i remember telling RJ that Quick is playing more conservative which is really helping him make more key saves..

Thats all gone now. He stopped doing that. Stats aside he's constantly out of position and is getting beat by players far away from the net. His positioning and technical side are completely gone for the most part.
Well you do become extreme in the GDTs, all those "Quick is the worst" comments ain't gonna help you lol. Quick is the beast goalie the Kings have ever had. He has made the impossible saves and gone into best mode so many times that it's so thrilling to watch him. We have been railing on Doughty for the last few weeks but at the end he's one of the main cogs on the roster, if he falters so does everyone else same with Quick, he can't be letting in weak/saveable goals. Everyone needs to step up their game.

Reactions: 21Dog

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Here;s the problem I have with the bolded, you have yet to explain what IN POSITION means, you have yet to explain WHY he's "out of position"

You see a goal go in and you measure if it's a good goal or bad goal based on distance to the net. That's horsecrap, and you can't explain a damn thing.

I don't think you understand STILL what happened on that Parise goal, you are still clinging to the fact that, it was a bad goal because it was "far away"

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Well you do become extreme in the GDTs, all those "Quick is the worst" comments ain't gonna help you lol. Quick is the best goalie the Kings have ever had. He has made the impossible saves and gone into best mode so many times that it's so thrilling to watch him. We have been railing on Doughty for the last few weeks but at the end he's one of the main cogs on the roster, if he falters so does everyone else on D same with Quick, he can't be letting in a weak goals. Everyone needs to step up their game.

I'm extreme because I'm a big fan of the Kings ever since I was a little kid.. Many years lol. Felix the Cat was the best GOAT..

Quick has been amazing for this team through their accomplishments but he's also been a big reason for their failures as well. He just needs to be more technical and he will be great.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Here;s the problem I have with the bolded, you have yet to explain what IN POSITION means, you have yet to explain WHY he's "out of position"

You see a goal go in and you measure if it's a good goal or bad goal based on distance to the net. That's horsecrap, and you can't explain a damn thing.

I don't think you understand STILL what happened on that Parise goal, you are still clinging to the fact that, it was a bad goal because it was "far away"

He needs to read the play better instead of going all or nothing whenever someone has the Puck from far out. There are situations where you have to respect the shot or the pass and in situations the pass is more lethal but he never plays it hence easy empty net goals / or huge rebounds for simple tap ins.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm extreme because I'm a big fan of the Kings ever since I was a little kid.. Many years lol. Felix the Cat was the best GOAT..

Quick has been amazing for this team through their accomplishments but he's also been a big reason for their failures as well. He just needs to be more technical and he will be great.

Quantify that, be more technical how?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He needs to read the play better instead of going all or nothing whenever someone has the Puck from far out. There are situations where you have to respect the shot or the pass and in situations the pass is more lethal but he never plays it hence easy empty net goals / or huge rebounds for simple tap ins.

Not one goal has been like that, in the past what, 3-4 games, now maybe I am wrong on that, and I am positive you will GLADLY show your work on this, and show the clips.

But Quick is one of the best at reading the play, you are clearly misguided there.

Reactions: Butch 19

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He'd be a great goalie if he played more technically and less athletically.

He is a great goalie when he does that. If there's an issue, it would be that his default setting is athlete, not goalie. It gets him out of trouble, but also puts him in trouble. The way he plays has gotten him financial and professional success. He's not changing yet. I imagine the only thing that will make him more conservative is aging. When he's just physically not as agile anymore.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I can't get on board with saying that Quick has been a "big reason for this teams failures as well" since this team hasn't had a real goaltender between him and Rogie, save for one and half seasons of Potvin.

He plays the way he plays and isn't changing. You take the good with the bad but the good has far outweighed the bad. We can look at some poor games since the turn of the year but that ignores how insane he was at the start of the season. They weren't just winning because Kempe was scoring some goals and Brown was on a hot streak. I feel he's faced more dangerous chances this year than he has in awhile and has fared pretty well. For every goal like the one that put the Wild up 3-2 last night, you get a few like the one he made off the deflection a minute later.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Quick made a literal game changing save right after giving up the third goal. If that tip goes in, it’s 4-2 and the game’s over.

I really don’t have any issue with Quick. I watched him in 2010 when he was Mr. Softee. I watched him win a Conn Smythe in 2012. He has strengths and weaknesses like every goaltender. And his strengths have far outweighed his weaknesses.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
11-12, 27.4 shots against per game, 5th overall
12-13, 28.0, 3rd
13-14, 26.2, 2nd
14-15, 27.0, 1st
15-16, 27.5, 4th
16-17, 25.9, 1st
17-18, 31.4, 10th

Instead of 1 or 2 crazy saves, Quick is having to make say 2 or 3. Not a lot more, but at the NHL level that's going to get you at times. That's probably one extra game that doesn't get to OT, or one extra game they lose in OT, etc.

They're even getting outshot on average this year. It's a different team. It's a more loose team. Still boring at times, but they're not the same shot possession group. That's not helping a more loosey goosey goalie. His athleticism/being out of position is probably more accentuated.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Another things with athletic goalies is they look awful when they get scored on just by virtue of their style. Quick compares favorably to Tim Thomas and that guy took immense heat for the same, yet both have immense playoff resumes for similar reasons as well. Butterfly goalies may look like they're in better position but only a handful of goalies that "look better" are actually performing better. Whether the shot squeaks though a goalie sitting in the middle of the net or goes in above a pad to the left its still a goal against.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Not one goal has been like that, in the past what, 3-4 games, now maybe I am wrong on that, and I am positive you will GLADLY show your work on this, and show the clips.

But Quick is one of the best at reading the play, you are clearly misguided there.

Not even close. Quick is quite bad at "imaging what the opposing players will do" when they attack the Kings net.

- and pre-plan-move to counteract the most likely course of action the opposing players will take / react accordingly (rarely happens)

you are clearly misguided there.

Kingkopitar

Jan 10, 2017
Not even close. Quick is quite bad at "imaging what the opposing players will do" when they attack the Kings net.

- and pre-plan-move to counteract the most likely course of action the opposing players will take / react accordingly (rarely happens)

you are clearly misguided there.
wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->