GDT: GM#71 LA Kings vs Detroit Red Wings @7:00

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'd like Mackinnon over most of the field. But even on the Avs, his linemates are barely behind him. Hell there's a main board thread talking about 46 points in 10 games for the Avs top line. I agree with you that it shouldn't just be points, and on the flipside, I never want to punish a guy for having a good team, but as far as most valuable player, what is this year's team without Kopitar's game? Doughty is our 2nd leading scorer at 51 points! Though to also be fair the absence of Carter makes that gap smaller I'm sure. Just musing aloud on what would it take to get Kopitar some deserved attention? The guy can't do any more than he is.

I think he should get consideration, and will. But there are players in the NHL this year who've done as much. I with the voters would look at every aspect of what 'MVP' means, but they won't. The usually go by points, which I don't agree with.

Kopi has been the player the Kings needed this year, and has been strong on both sides of the puck. A great year by him in many areas. But if the Kings don't make the playoffs, he probably won't make the top 3. Voters are odd that way.

But MVP, (for me anyway) isn't about points. It's about all the other things within a game that the player does to get his team the W, or the shift that makes a difference, might not involve points. And how the team would fare w/o the player. but the voters usually are swayed by points.(hence the case for Kucherov)

Hall has tried every which way he can to win for that team. But I don't think he'll get consideration, esp if the Devils don't make the playoffs. Kopi will and should, but my vote would be for MacKinnon. Not for the outstanding year he's having offensively (and 10 goals and 10 assists in his last 10 games is pretty cool) but what he's done as a leader for that team, given how horrid they were last year, all that drama and he rallied that team in camp and lead the charge. Not sure if the voters will see it that way.
Malkin, is the name I've heard at the top of the list, and agree he's been good (66 pts in his last 44 games) but so have Crosby and Kessel.

I always like Wheeler's game , sort of master of many PP, PK, ES, etc and had a lot of leadership. but this year, when Schiefle went down, he really the controls and put the car in drive. The games I've seen, he's busting it on every shift. And that is something alot of players are motivated by. I don't know if w/o his stepped up efforts ,the Jets would be where they are but I don't think he'll be considered.

This should be a fairly competitive year for the award.

Reactions: KINGS17

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
This might be the best win of the year. I've never seen a team determined to not lose as much as last night's Red Wings.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
This might be the best win of the year. I've never seen a team determined to not lose as much as last night's Red Wings.

They are going to be even more tenacious tonight, they probably thought they deserved better with their effort. At least I hope so.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
It felt more cautious than anything, they played extremely cautious, scared to make a mistake, scared to push the play forward etc,

this was more true , and you have to give the wings a little credit as they were sending 2 forwards in and playing like it was practice not caring if we got behind them , nothing to lose kind of thing and we responded with playing to there level until the third ,I don't think the outcome was ever in doubt, just how frustrating it was going to be until the kings went ahead for the win more worried about giving away 2 more points then winning by multiple goals

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Kopitar also completely eliminated a Red Wing who was trying to dangle out of his end, cant remember who. Forced a big turnovet. Its not that common from him, but he seems more willing to make a heavy hit than in the past.
nyquist if we're thinking of the same play

nyquist came around behind the net with speed, took the puck from the defenseman and got snuffed out into the boards before he even cleared the circles..

i was busting up laughing, never seen someone jump a route so perfectly

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad