GDT: GM #5 LA Kings vs NY Islanders @7:30

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
he's not as fatigued so he can jump in on the rush. Also he won't be as exhausted at the end of the long season.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Gaborik isn't needed, let him take as long as he wants. Probably a case of looking good, feeling good, then stepping on the ice and finding out it really isn't good.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Kings win + Ducks lose...

7RV1_f-maxage-0.gif

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think it's fair to say right now, after watching the start of this season, that Darryl Sutter will not be coaching an NHL team again.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think it's fair to say right now, after watching the start of this season, that Darryl Sutter will not be coaching an NHL team again.

It's too bad we didn't cut him loose a season earlier because I think that Minnesota would've been the perfect team for Sutter to get over the hump. Instead they hired Boudreau, the regular season wonder. Anyway, it's nice to see the boys outplay the opposition and actually win games.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004

The right team, and the right situation Sutter is a great coach. You just can't have him for an extended period of time. I find it annoying how people are bad mouthing him now. Did he lose the room the last year or two, sure. He did bring us 2 cups in completely different fashions.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Not fair at all. In the right situation, Sutter would win again with another organization. Sutter is in a situation where he can wait for the right situation. The man has nothing to prove.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sutter is a great coach. You don't need to qualify the statement with "right team, right situation."

If I was Washington I would have gone after Sutter immediately after he was fired. Buffalo too.

Reactions: yankeeking

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sutter is a great coach. You don't need to qualify the statement with "right team, right situation."

If I was Washington I would have gone after Sutter immediately after he was fired. Buffalo too.

I agree John, Sutter is a great coach. I don't think he is looking for just any position though. I think any team which has been unable to get over the hump should consider hiring him. You suggested Washington, which I think would be a good fit for him. I think St. Louis and Winnipeg could also use him.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Memo to Darcy Kuemper, when your have 2 D men on the ice for 3 minutes, and you get a slow roller, please freeze the puck.

Also perhaps Gabby, on top of his other issues, has a skin allergy like Hossa, to maybe allow us out of that contract?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kingkopitar

Jan 10, 2017
These GDT are pretty short without the Kopitar hate. Great game, Folin seems solid but has trouble clearing the zone by himself.

Reactions: mbar

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
GDT are always shorter when the Kings win, and are on a winning streak. It has nothing to do with Kopitar other than he is just one of the guys who gets flamed when the team is playing poorly. He seems to get more than his fair share to some, because he like Doughty, Quick, Muzzin, and Carter carry greater responsibililty.

Kopitar and Brown are off to great starts. The Kings are going into a phase of the schedule where they will play playoff teams from last season on the road. If they come out of that stretch .500 or better, I will start being more optimistic. I think eventually teams like Anaheim and Edmonton will get their **** together.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Fantasy Talk:

How has Carter been playing? Hasn't put up many points but has he been generating scoring chances?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I somewhat agree, my reasoning is that if it was the NHL of 5 years ago still then he would be a shoe in. However, with the league gravitating toward speed, the heavy game is being phased out and thats the type of team DS is best at guiding.. The Sabres and Capitals are big teams but they don't play heavy.. Our KINGS teams were a once in a generation type team that didn't fit the mold, won and then just as quickly vanished.. Good thing for us is that our squad was always pretty skilled so the transition into a more offensive team is easier..

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
These GDT are pretty short without the Kopitar hate. Great game, Folin seems solid but has trouble clearing the zone by himself.

Kopitar needs to shot more and he sucks.... there I threw some shade on our Captain lol...
I never lost faith in our team, I think it was pretty obvious that DS and the Team were on different pages and the team effort to barricade the locker room was the breaking point... really looking forward to this season...

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Carter is getting minutes 5v5 and has been contributing assists on the PP. No goals yet, and from watching the games, it feels like he isn’t getting shots.

Overall, it’s nice to see the highest paid players leading this team on the ice to wins, with a smile on their faces. Kopitar is demanding the puck every shift and seems committed to getting the puck in the middle of the ice on his stick. Brown is getting rewarded for his play without the puck and not trying to beat defenders 1v1.

They’ve had soft competition so far and will be tested on the upcoming road trip. But so far, you can’t expect more from the Kings and it’s a treat to see them doing well after the cluster eff the past couple of seasons.

Reactions: theMajor

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Carter is getting minutes 5v5 and has been contributing assists on the PP. No goals yet, and from watching the games, it feels like he isn’t getting shots.

Overall, it’s nice to see the highest paid players leading this team on the ice to wins, with a smile on their faces. Kopitar is demanding the puck every shift and seems committed to getting the puck in the middle of the ice on his stick. Brown is getting rewarded for his play without the puck and not trying to beat defenders 1v1.

They’ve had soft competition so far and will be tested on the upcoming road trip. But so far, you can’t expect more from the Kings and it’s a treat to see them doing well after the cluster eff the past couple of seasons.

Agree with you on all points. Also, as others have pointed out, it's good to see Stevens distributing the minutes more evenly and not playing Doughty and Kopitar huge minutes.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Memo to Darcy Kuemper, when your have 2 D men on the ice for 3 minutes, and you get a slow roller, please freeze the puck.
I think you get a penalty for delay of the game in that situation. Judgment call for the officials, but they frown on a goalie stopping play when no opponents are near.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
I think you get a penalty for delay of the game in that situation. Judgment call for the officials, but they frown on a goalie stopping play when no opponents are near.
I'd be surprised if he'd have been penalized. In fact I recall that there were Islanders bearing down on him as he had the puck on his stick. He could have just fallen on it. Surprising play that he didn't. Otherwise he had a very solid game. How many goalies in recent years end up looking fantastic because we're such a responsible team defensively (throughout the roster)? He's the next one to join the list.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sutter would be a great coach for Winnipeg imo.

Just one of the things that Quick provides that gets overlooked a little, he understands the temperature of the game and would have frozen it at some point instead of hazing Folin

Fantasy Talk:

How has Carter been playing? Hasn't put up many points but has he been generating scoring chances?

He's been playing good. Honestly maybe the biggest thing is right now Pearson is the engine of that line if you had to pick one. But Carter is flying, playing good D, and otherwise playing well, the points will come, there's only so many of them to go around with Brown and Kopitar scoring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad