GDT: GM #5 LA Kings vs NY Islanders @7:30

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Sutter would be a great coach for Winnipeg imo.

Agree. Jets are under achievers and could use a different coach/system. Short term, he could get the into the playoffs. Long term, who knows, but they need to be playing into April and May to have a chance at the Cup.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Good game. Really happy to see Kopitar smiling and having fun. He's doing real good so far.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Won good games
Won bad games
Won (or at least got a point ) ugly games
Brown, Quick, Kopitar, and Drew all doing what we want. After Thanksgiving hope that is still the case.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I think you get a penalty for delay of the game in that situation. Judgment call for the officials, but they frown on a goalie stopping play when no opponents are near.

That would be a hard one to call a penalty and there were Islanders near the net at the time.. Of that 3 minutes I think Isles were in Kings zone 2:45. Would think worst case ref would yell "move it" first if he covered it.

Also was not a fan of the entire Dowd line last night, they were pinned in the Kings defensive end most of the night.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Agree. Jets are under achievers and could use a different coach/system. Short term, he could get the into the playoffs. Long term, who knows, but they need to be playing into April and May to have a chance at the Cup.

Sutter would turn the Jets into a much more consistent team. They would flourish under him.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The play of Kempe and Brodz is obviously concerning when you see them unable to sustain pressure in the o-zone. But I have to say I have liked what Dowd has done since being a healthy scratch. He’s shown good reads playing center and doesn’t have to try and win board battles, which isn’t his strength.

Kempe is just going to take time to learn the NHL game, and some of that is just to due normal things a 21 yo goes through when adjusting to adulthood, nevermind being a star athlete. All the raw skills are there, but what we are seeing is a guy who is figuring things out on the job. Playing in the AHL is just going to delay that process and may not be the right environment for the player to learn how to bind and maximize his skillset.

For Jonny B, I think the issue is getting enough opportunities to shoot the puck. He had one look at the net last night in the slot but I think it was blocked. If Kempe and Dowd take some good steps, JB may be able to become the shooter on that line.

I think you stay patient with that group and let them get some practice at playing together. I hope Stevens doesn’t try to move Andreoff up to that unit in search of a different look or to try and get them playing more conservatively.

Reactions: mbar

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The play of Kempe and Brodz is obviously concerning when you see them unable to sustain pressure in the o-zone. But I have to say I have liked what Dowd has done since being a healthy scratch. He’s shown good reads playing center and doesn’t have to try and win board battles, which isn’t his strength.

Kempe is just going to take time to learn the NHL game, and some of that is just to due normal things a 21 yo goes through when adjusting to adulthood, nevermind being a star athlete. All the raw skills are there, but what we are seeing is a guy who is figuring things out on the job. Playing in the AHL is just going to delay that process and may not be the right environment for the player to learn how to bind and maximize his skillset.

For Jonny B, I think the issue is getting enough opportunities to shoot the puck. He had one look at the net last night in the slot but I think it was blocked. If Kempe and Dowd take some good steps, JB may be able to become the shooter on that line.

I think you stay patient with that group and let them get some practice at playing together. I hope Stevens doesn’t try to move Andreoff up to that unit in search of a different look or to try and get them playing more conservatively.

What's scaring me is the NHL is different now. Brodz+Kempe have all the ice in the world now, no one plays on the walls anymore. Both guys have done nothing with that ice.

I can understand young guys struggling under Sutter. Sutter wants the game on the walls to slow it down and other teams. The NHL was generally a slow game last Five seasons. None of that is here right now. Brodz+Kempe should be flourishing in this environment, not going backwards.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Again, I don't think you can say who is flourishing and who isn't flourishing when we've played less than 10 games. They don't look good, but jumping to conclusions helps nothing except your calves.

Kings are doing good, and who knows? Don't think Sutter would be a good fit for the jets at all. They need structure, not neutering.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
So far

Kempe/Brodz need to go back to the AHL. They have zero confidence and it shows.

I think that would be a step backwards, as far as adjustment to the big time. Most young players take time to adjust, usually hitting their stride at the 240 game mark or so. It takes time to grow your game and they haven't scratched the surface yet. Experience is still the best teacher and staying here and getting their minutes in, will pay off.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I somewhat agree, my reasoning is that if it was the NHL of 5 years ago still then he would be a shoe in. However, with the league gravitating toward speed, the heavy game is being phased out and thats the type of team DS is best at guiding.. The Sabres and Capitals are big teams but they don't play heavy.. Our KINGS teams were a once in a generation type team that didn't fit the mold, won and then just as quickly vanished.. Good thing for us is that our squad was always pretty skilled so the transition into a more offensive team is easier..
The whole thing about the NHL game being different than it was when the Kings won the SC is mostly a myth. It's not really that much different.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
What's scaring me is the NHL is different now. Brodz+Kempe have all the ice in the world now, no one plays on the walls anymore. Both guys have done nothing with that ice.

I can understand young guys struggling under Sutter. Sutter wants the game on the walls to slow it down and other teams. The NHL was generally a slow game last Five seasons. None of that is here right now. Brodz+Kempe should be flourishing in this environment, not going backwards.
What all three need is a veteran player alongside them in the mould of Stoll, someone that can nurture them through shifts. You'd like to think Cammy could do that but he's far from comfortable out there himself and has been invisible when dressed. There's just too little experience out there when that line is on the ice. When (if) Gaborik comes back it might help, he's a smart player and if he's got half decent leadership skills it will help get more out of Dowd and Kempe. Brodz seems to be the one struggling most and I would expect him to go down.

If Gabby is unlikely to get back you have to think the chances of a trade go up, either that or maybe they will kick the tyres on Laich on a 1 yr bonus driven deal. He's got experience the 3rd line needs and if he can show something in practice who knows. Yes it's unlikely and I'm clutching at straws.

I'd like to see them give it a few more games before they do anything and see if they can figure it out themselves. However if we continue to show this form it may well force the issue.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
After Dowd was sat, his game showed a marked change. He was good last night, controlled the center of the ice a lot and made nice plays, especially defensively. Still had hiccups, but overall very good. Brodz was scratched, and it was more of the same when he came back. His problem right now is between the ears. Kempe doesn't look bad offensively, but his reads defensively aren't good. That will hopefully come with time.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kempe+Bordzinski is nonexistent a this point in the season fellas... The problem with Kempe is he was half baked coming up from Ontario were he was inconsistent and its carried over, the kid is still what 20YO? why not send him down to round out his game, its not like he's helping much anyways... Brodz is just plain struggling and needs a dose of confidence to regroup, not sure if maybe swapping him out with Toffoli ignites them both....
As for Cammalleri and Gaborik, if the kids don't pick it by say game 20-25 and Amadio is doing it in Ontario then you bring him up and have him center those two and hope that pairing a passer and two shooters works lol...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm just excited to see how gaborik does with our new style. Should be great for it in all honesty. It would suit him well.

Also imo NHL changed a lot after the Kings won again. And it was changing then too. The game is heavily emphasized on speed and on Quick execution. You don't see much cycling at all. Big part of the change comes from the influx of amazing rookie talent since then too. The rookies in the NHL and young players have been lighting it up.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
That would be a hard one to call a penalty and there were Islanders near the net at the time.. Of that 3 minutes I think Isles were in Kings zone 2:45. Would think worst case ref would yell "move it" first if he covered it.
I watched it again (11:35 remaining of 2nd period) and when Kuemper has the puck on his stick, there's no Islander inside of the face-off dots. Again, it's a judgment call for the refs. I would have liked him to cover it as well.

Reactions: mbar

member 88115

What do you guys/girls think about picking up Bozak from Toronto. He might be available for a 2nd + 4th since they might go Matthew, Nylander & Kadri as their top 3 centers. Bozak has skill and face-off abilities, but average on his defensive responsibilities. Is a UFA.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I watched it again (11:35 remaining of 2nd period) and when Kuemper has the puck on his stick, there's no Islander inside of the face-off dots. Again, it's a judgment call for the refs. I would have liked him to cover it as well.

I don't really disagree but that's gotta be up there with things they would never actually call, like delay of game for repeated icings (don't know if that's even still in the rulebook :laugh:). Either the Isles back way off and give Kuemper space to play the puck--which is less desirable but ok--or they move towards him in any manner and get the stoppage.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
What do you guys/girls think about picking up Bozak from Toronto. He might be available for a 2nd + 4th since they might go Matthew, Nylander & Kadri as their top 3 centers. Bozak has skill and face-off abilities, but average on his defensive responsibilities. Is a UFA.

seems ok, but i would rather wait 20-25 games and see how it shakes out... how does Gaborik fit in, how well is Amadio doing on the farm, when the hell is that 70's line going to start clicking, whats going to happened to our 8 deep defense which was a huge ?? heading into the season and now looks like a really nice surplus... we're currently in a really good spot to just stand pat and let things play out before any changes are made.. IMHO

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
8 points in 5 games I think kopitar is playing back to his old self
I don't think you will get him that cheap. First + if they decide to let him go and i don't think they will.

Reactions: kingsofLA

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Some perspective. Kempe has played 30 NHL games so far and had 2 goals and 4 assists with a minus 5 rating. Brodzinski has played 9 NHL games and has no goals and 2 assists with a +2 rating. Brodzinski was a better and more consistent AHL player than Kempe the last two years, and the driver of the offense among the prospects, especially compared to Kempe. Neither have done much at all this season. Let's hope the Kempe at C experiment is over, as it has been a disaster. At least he looks a bit competitive at LW. Brodzinski's confidence seems shaken. Every time he seems to get a decent look the puck is bouncing or just plain misses. Contributing on the scoreboard would go miles for him, but he has yet to show in his 3 games this year that he will be effective. The Kings clearly know what he is capable of otherwise he wouldn't be on the team. This upcoming road trip will be big for the youngsters.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
As of October 15th, The Kings have 9 points, and 4 ROW.

Last season:

The Kings earned their 9th and 10 point on November 3rd.

The Kings earned their 4th regulation win on November 19th.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Some perspective. Kempe has played 30 NHL games so far and had 2 goals and 4 assists with a minus 5 rating. Brodzinski has played 9 NHL games and has no goals and 2 assists with a +2 rating. Brodzinski was a better and more consistent AHL player than Kempe the last two years, and the driver of the offense among the prospects, especially compared to Kempe. Neither have done much at all this season. Let's hope the Kempe at C experiment is over, as it has been a disaster. At least he looks a bit competitive at LW. Brodzinski's confidence seems shaken. Every time he seems to get a decent look the puck is bouncing or just plain misses. Contributing on the scoreboard would go miles for him, but he has yet to show in his 3 games this year that he will be effective. The Kings clearly know what he is capable of otherwise he wouldn't be on the team. This upcoming road trip will be big for the youngsters.

Thats why i say we give it 'til the 20th-25th game before we jump to conclusions... Kempe I just plain inconsistent at this point which is to be expected and like you said Brodz is lacking confidence but as long as they don't hurt us I'm of the opinion that they be given more games to get going or else be sent down...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->