GDT: GM#30 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @7:30

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
So I guess since they won 7 in a row, no chance Forbort is going to get a game off to rest? :)

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm with him on the premise, though, need to make a defensive move.

Right now it's Drew then everyone else.

But if that vaults you to 2nd in the league, yeah, hard to complain, that means the core is being the core and Quick is a part of it and Kuemper has cleaned up for the most part.

Hard for me to say "need" all things considered. Would it be nice to upgrade? Of course, but it's not a desperate situation IMO. Sens probably don't even tie it up if it's Carter out there instead of Shore. Team is kicking ass while missing a key piece. Longest winning streak of any team in the league this season, including the Golden Gods in Tampa Bay.

Not bad.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Imo this is deceiving and does not pass the eye test. I think quick is the biggest reason they are 2nd, best example is that Detroit game where the red wings could have easily had 4 or 5 goals...

I dunno. Having a 2.2 GA/GP is awfully good, a lot more than the goalie plays a huge part in that. (First in the league, btw)

Folin with another strong game. Muzzin has been getting his mojo back, he's turned it around. The defense has been really good as a whole, occasional brutal turnover nonwithstanding.

Reactions: Bandit

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So I guess since they won 7 in a row, no chance Forbort is going to get a game off to rest? :)

What's sucks about Forbort is he's very very good defensively especially for a depth guy and he's no slouch offensively--like a Scuderi who can actually move the puck--but unfortunately also like Scuderi if there's pressure, it's a hot potato.

I admire him for at least trying to make plays instead of just doing the ol Rob glass-and-out, so hopefully it's just part of his learning curve.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hard for me to say "need" all things considered. Would it be nice to upgrade? Of course, but it's not a desperate situation IMO. Sens probably don't even tie it up if it's Carter out there instead of Shore. Team is kicking ass while missing a key piece. Longest winning streak of any team in the league this season, including the Golden Gods in Tampa Bay.

Not bad.

I can agree with that. "need" is maybe a strong word. But I don't think anyone would argue this roster's 'weakness' is the ol' Voynov spot. Have anything remotely like that behind Drew and I'd immediately start considering us a top-tier contender.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I dunno. Having a 2.2 GA/GP is awfully good, a lot more than the goalie plays a huge part in that. (First in the league, btw)

Folin with another strong game. Muzzin has been getting his mojo back, he's turned it around. The defense has been really good as a whole, occasional brutal turnover nonwithstanding.

Playing with Doughty doesn't hurt., but if that's what it takes then so be it. All we need is for Forbort to figure out his game and we're golden.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I can agree with that. "need" is maybe a strong word. But I don't think anyone would argue this roster's 'weakness' is the ol' Voynov spot. Have anything remotely like that behind Drew and I'd immediately start considering us a top-tier contender.

Yeah I hear you, but if the Pens can with the cup with a bag of doorknobs playing D, I like our chances. As well you know, every team has a hole, it's how well you can cover it up when it counts most. Everyone has Tampa as unbeatable, but they're peaking too soon IMO, and we all know the importance of getting hot at the right time ala 2012.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
After another multi point night Doughty is now tied for the lead in defenseman scoring.

giphy.gif

Winger23

May 3, 2007
That's 1 game out of 30. As I said you can always improve but come on. Also not like Quick isn't part of the team either. Hell, our backup is 5-0-2, pretty sure that has nothing to do with Quick.

It was just an example so yeah it was 1 game. I said quick as he's played the majority of the games and has saved the kings in many of them. Our backup has had a few stinkers even with that record. Fortunate to be playing a shitty team tonight with all the rebounds. He's been solid in most of his starts though but when's he's off he's way off.

I didn't agree with the urgency of needing a dman, but will be needed before playoffs. I'm just stating the fact that the defensive numbers don't tell the story. Nothing I can can say differently to you if you're sitting there thinking the defense doesn't have glaring holes...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
After another multi point night Doughty is now tied for the lead in defenseman scoring.

24 points and a +15. And that's playing all situations, Leddy and Klingberg get less than a minute of PK time per game and leddy in particular basically doesn't start in the defensive zone. Absolutely phenomenal.

Next guy behind him with positive double digit +/- is Pietrangelo--the other current favorite--at 21 pts, +11. Behind that? all the way down to 15 points with Montour's +10 (and I doubt he's getting the tough minutes).

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It was just an example so yeah it was 1 game. I said quick as he's played the majority of the games and has saved the kings in many of them. Our backup has had a few stinkers even with that record. Fortunate to be playing a ****ty team tonight with all the rebounds. He's been solid in most of his starts though but when's he's off he's way off.

I didn't agree with the urgency of needing a dman, but will be needed before playoffs. I'm just stating the fact that the defensive numbers don't tell the story. Nothing I can can say differently to you if you're sitting there thinking the defense doesn't have glaring holes...

I just don't believe they are glaring is all.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Bouche was crying for a hooking call, problem was the Sens guy was doing the hooking clamping down on Kopi's stick.

I'm sure the sens board will be a good read. :eek:

and what's the over/under posts before a sens fan to say "well, EK still deserves the Norris, no matter what Dought ever does!!!! I say 5

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
24 points and a +15. And that's playing all situations, Leddy and Klingberg get less than a minute of PK time per game and leddy in particular basically doesn't start in the defensive zone. Absolutely phenomenal.

Next guy behind him with positive double digit +/- is Pietrangelo--the other current favorite--at 21 pts, +11. Behind that? all the way down to 15 points with Montour's +10 (and I doubt he's getting the tough minutes).
That Nick f***ing Leddy is even in the conversation is pretty hilarious. Greatest thing he ever did was deflect the puck into his own net in OT game 7 of the WCF.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I just don't believe they are glaring is all.

I believe they're pretty glaring and being masked by better goaltending. But that may be enough to get the job done. Every team has holes. If ours is "2nd pairing," so be it. Fantenberg is a mess with turnovers, whichever one of Martinez/Muzzin/Forbort is on the 2nd pairing is a mess with turnovers, Folin is quietly solid but he's not much of a puckmover, MacDermid was a tire fire tonight but is generally ok as well. Folin and big Mac generally don't try to play beyond their means but they also don't have to like we're asking of Forbort, Muzzin, Martinez.

They're very good defending, but they're turning the pucks over at an alarming rate leading to the self-inflicted wounds that kill us vs. other top teams because guys like TB don't need more than one opportunity to bury you.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm sure the sens board will be a good read. :eek:

and what's the over/under posts before a sens fan to say "well, EK still deserves the Norris, no matter what Dought ever does!!!! I say 5

No, they've been reasonable as all get out as EK is clearly not himself right now. There are a few superhomers who completely out themselves, though, but in general, they know, no need to kick dirt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad