Give GMJR a Grade (cumulative)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The organization didn't like despres period. Apparently the last straw was when he was late to a flight last year from being hungover, they were trying to move him since then. Still dont know why they just gave up on him instead of working on it.

Bottom line is he was gone this year regardless of the coach or gm.

I would have been OK with a Despres trade if we had received something of value in return.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
So what it was still his final call. We are giving JR props for signing Plots and that was likely with significant input from Fitzy.

The GM should get the praise and blame for all moves. Now, there is always the possibility that Morehouse is meddling in these types of moves, but since we don't have concrete evidence, we have to assume JR signed off on the trade.

Just because he signed off on the move doesn't mean he agreed with it. Again, everything that has been said/reported on the deal has convinced me JR didn't want to make the move.

And to say it was his final call is a bit ignorant, IMO.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Just because he signed off on the move doesn't mean he agreed with it. Again, everything that has been said/reported on the deal has convinced me JR didn't want to make the move.

Doesn't JR only have 3 people above him? Lemieux, Burkle, Morehouse?

So you're saying one of them forced the deal? And why would they do that?

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Even if there's a good reason Despres was traded, then why Lovejoy?

Yeah, who knows. If Winnipeg was able to get the return they got for that basket-case Evander Kane, then there is no reason we couldn't gotten a fair return for Despres.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
The organization didn't like despres period. Apparently the last straw was when he was late to a flight last year from being hungover, they were trying to move him since then. Still dont know why they just gave up on him instead of working on it.

Bottom line is he was gone this year regardless of the coach or gm.

We were trying to move him for a year and all we could get was ****ing Ben Lovejoy?

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

Is it possible to remove someone from blame anymore than this statement? It's like saying just because the shooter shot the murder victim doesn't mean he wanted to shoot him. Morehouse must have convinced him to do it :laugh:

Sounds like you made up a rumor and now telling everyone "I HEARD A RUMOR SO IT IS TRUE!"

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

ok, if it wasn't jr then why would he come up with those *Y*&^&%& reasons he made the trade? and then all the character assentation.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
ok, if it wasn't jr then why would he come up with those *Y*&^&%& reasons he made the trade? and then all the character assentation.

So you think JR coming out, imedialy, with negative comments on the trade means it was his idea? That makes zero sense.

Is it possible to remove someone from blame anymore than this statement? It's like saying just because the shooter shot the murder victim doesn't mean he wanted to shoot him. Morehouse must have convinced him to do it :laugh:

Sounds like you made up a rumor and now telling everyone "I HEARD A RUMOR SO IT IS TRUE!"

If you want to bury your head in the sand and put all of Des on JR that's your prerogative. It's completely false, but many people have ignorant opinions.

His moves didn't pan out last season.

Again, that's 20/20 hindsight, which is a pretty garbage way to ***** a GM. Except for the Des move, which we've covered, all of his moves made sense at the time. It's not his fault the team fall apart.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
So you think JR coming out, imedialy, with negative comments on the trade means it was his idea? That makes zero sense.

If you want to bury your head in the sand and put all of Des on JR that's your prerogative. It's completely false, but many people have ignorant opinions.

Again, that's 20/20 hindsight, which is a pretty garbage way to ***** a GM. Except for the Des move, which we've covered, all of his moves made sense at the time. It's not his fault the team fall apart.

I didn't know there's a different way to judge a GM's moves other than in hindsight of how his acquisitions and team performed.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Again, blaming JR for not foreseeing half the team getting hurt is a pretty garbage way to evaluate him.

I'm curious, did you view our team as a legitimate cup contender last season if it weren't for the injuries? There's no way of knowing of course, because we can't undo the injuries, but I didn't really think we were getting past the division, let alone the East or winning the cup.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Again, blaming JR for not foreseeing half the team getting hurt is a pretty garbage way to evaluate him.

Perron Winnik Spaling Lovejoy didn't get any significant injuries and all severely underperformed. Ehrhoff was bad when he wasn't injured.

The team was underperforming before the injury bug hit.

You missed the point of my post which was no matter how good the acquisitions looked on paper they didn't pan out on the ice.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Perron's aquisition worked until he ran out of gas, having not been able to train prior to last season due to an injury. Spaling helped us get Kessel, Winnik had bad timing in hindsight & Lovejoy was a major miscalculation.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Perron's aquisition worked until he ran out of gas, having not been able to train prior to last season due to an injury. Spaling helped us get Kessel, Winnik had bad timing in hindsight & Lovejoy was a major miscalculation.

Is this legitimatizing the trades or something? Or are you just explaining why they played as bad as they did?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'm curious, did you view our team as a legitimate cup contender last season if it weren't for the injuries? There's no way of knowing of course, because we can't undo the injuries, but I didn't really think we were getting past the division, let alone the East or winning the cup.

At the TDL we were 4 pts outside of 1st in the East and looking good. I don't think we were contenders but reaching the ECF didn't seem out of the question. Had we been healthy, and how well MAF was playing, I could see them making the ECF and possibly beating the 1 line Bolts.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
You missed the point of my post which was no matter how good the acquisitions looked on paper they didn't pan out on the ice.

I'll try to explain this slowly for you. There is a big difference between a move that looked good at the time not working out as well as planned because of injuries and a move that was looked bad when it was made.

Again, blaming JR for not seeing the rash of injuries the team would endure at the end of the season is ****ing stupid.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I'll try to explain this slowly for you. There is a big difference between a move that looked good at the time not working out as well as planned because of injuries and a move that was looked bad when it was made.

Again, blaming JR for not seeing the rash of injuries the team would endure at the end of the season is ****ing stupid.

Good teams overcome injuries. Pens always had injury problems during the Shero/DB era.

Are you JR's grandson? You must think he pisses whiskey. He can do no wrong, eh?

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
At the TDL we were 4 pts outside of 1st in the East and looking good. I don't think we were contenders but reaching the ECF didn't seem out of the question. Had we been healthy, and how well MAF was playing, I could see them making the ECF and possibly beating the 1 line Bolts.

At the TDL they were 6 points out of 1st place and the 6th seed.

On November 30, the Pens were in 1st place with a record of 16-5-2. Since then their record was 26-22-10. In other words they finished with 26 wins and 32 losses.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Perron Winnik Spaling Lovejoy didn't get any significant injuries and all severely underperformed. Ehrhoff was bad when he wasn't injured.

The team was underperforming before the injury bug hit.

Bold were not even on the team yet

The injury bug started in early Nov.

Pens were 6-3 in Oct./10-4 in Nov./7-7 in Dec.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/app

Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Good teams overcome injuries. Pens always had injury problems during the Shero/DB era.

Are you JR's grandson? You must think he pisses whiskey. He can do no wrong, eh?

You're right. It's JRs fault the injuries happened. He's a terrible GM. We should get Shero back!

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
You're right. It's JRs fault the injuries happened. He's a terrible GM. We should get Shero back!

You're putting too much emphasis on injuries regarding the players we're talking about.

Regardless, I'm glad you finally see it my way. The most important thing here is that I was right and you are wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00