Give GMJR a Grade (cumulative)

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I think we fundamentally disagree about how to judge trades. I place value on intent and thought process because sometimes weird things happen that are impossible to predict.

I also disagree that last year was bad for JR. I felt like most of what he did last year was positive and set the team up to be able to have this great off-season. He can be blamed for putting the team in position to play 5D, but he can't be blamed for the injury side.

this is basically what i was goinng to say. sometimes **** happens.

not to mention that he was just trying to put out the dumpster fire that shero left him with.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
You and I agree with how to evaluate a trade, for the most part, and I think it was a bad trade. I base that around it being expensive and unnecessary. I don't believe this team was a Cup contender and always saw last year as a transition year. Instead of spending a 2nd and a 4th on Winnik, they could have stuck with what they had and tried their best to compete.

The Pens weren't a Winnik and they certainly weren't a Lovejoy away from winning the Cup.

That's certainly a fair perspective to have. I understand why the trade wasn't popular, and I agree that it was one of Rutherford's worst moves. But like I said, ultimately I think it was inconsequential since we got our 2nd back.

this is basically what i was goinng to say. sometimes **** happens.

not to mention that he was just trying to put out the dumpster fire that shero left him with.

We knew the team wasn't going to be fixed in one off-season. Rutherford didn't have a perfect first year, but I think for the most part he did well.

All of those one-year deals he gave out enabled us to have the cap room to make the moves he made this off-season.

I understand people not liking the Winnik deal because last year was really just a transition year.

Jeff15

Aug 4, 2015
Drink more Kool-aid!

Let's wait and see what the team does before we give grades.I remember when hr traded for Winnik everyone liked it but we didn't resign him and people were glad we got rid of him.I think the team is too small,too soft.Remember this is hockey not the ice capades we don't have any toughness to back up the stars and don't give me Hornquist.I know all yuppy penguin fans are disgusted with rough play but u need a balanced team in all areas.Teams will abuse crosby and rutherfords response of our power play will be our toughness is a JOKE! Rutherford ruined Carolina and his despres trade with his cap space fiasco was laughing stock of nhl.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Let's wait and see what the team does before we give grades.I remember when hr traded for Winnik everyone liked it but we didn't resign him and people were glad we got rid of him.I think the team is too small,too soft.Remember this is hockey not the ice capades we don't have any toughness to back up the stars and don't give me Hornquist.I know all yuppy penguin fans are disgusted with rough play but u need a balanced team in all areas.Teams will abuse crosby and rutherfords response of our power play will be our toughness is a JOKE! Rutherford ruined Carolina and his despres trade with his cap space fiasco was laughing stock of nhl.

GkzO7ro.gif

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

Thanks Harv. Always value your input.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3