Giroux Interference on Letang

Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Clean hit. Why does every little play get its own thread now?

How can it be a clean hit when no puck was possessed? It's at least interference

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Seriously guys, the cognitive dissonance when it comes to hits on this board is really troubling. Did Giroux intend to kill Letang? Of course not. Did he nefariously plot out this vicious assault on he Pens best D ahead of time? cmon. Did Giroux see it coming at the last second and say "well ill get the most of this." Absolutely. Why cant we just be real about what happened here? There was a collision that was probably noones fault and Giroux leaned into it because why the hell not?

There are so many people on both sides lying to themselves in this thread and the Kadri thread and every Tom Wilson and Brad Marchand thread. What is going on here?

You are making far, far too much sense for this board.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Eh, I don't think he had any intention of hitting Letang until the very last second when collision is inevitable he kinda jumps into it. Not sure if that was meant to hurt Letang or absorb some of the contact. I don't think it's worth a suspension personally.

Reactions: JGalt

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It would have sucked if Letang were seriously hurt, but that was just an unfortunate collision. Even as a Pens fan, I have a hard time blaming Giroux.

Reactions: Jray42

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Eh, I don't think he had any intention of hitting Letang until the very last second when collision is inevitable he kinda jumps into it. Not sure if that was meant to hurt Letang or absorb some of the contact. I don't think it's worth a suspension personally.

I agree. I think he was expecting Letang to bump or hit him and jumped back to counter the contact coming. Obviously Letang did not have any intention of making contact and received the worst of it.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
The referees were terrible in this game. Possibly deliberate to make it a series because Game1 was so lopsided and this is one of the series they are trying to sell the hardest. You couldn't help but laugh at calling a double on Hornqvist when pushed face first into the boards.
That's why the Penguins ended up with more power plays? Refs were terrible on both sides, worst call was Simmonds vs Malkin dive

TH1Pool

Apr 22, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Has anyone here calling Giroux dirty played hockey before? You’re moving full speed, backwards, about to collide with someone - would you just go limp and let them run you over? No - you brace yourself - just like Giroux did.

It looks worse because he’s bracing himself backwards, so putting his elbows back to initiate contact rather than be run over. It is what it is.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Thank you. I still say Letang should sit out. Must have been pen docs to allow him back in. How many concussions does that make for him that we know of?

i don't think it was a head issue at all. There was a cut on his hand that required immediate attention. He came back and played. He would have never been able to do that had he sustained a concussion.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
There's no question that Letang wasn't looking where he was skating. It's hard to tell for sure what he was looking at. Giroux definitely gets bumped into his path, but you can see he's clearly looking over his shoulder to see that Letang is coming. He doesn't stop, like he could have. I wouldn't even call it a brace for impact. He checked Letang back first, taking advantage of an opportunity he got pushed into and did his best to make the hit itself look accidental.

Those pick plays that the league was harping on calling a few years ago are no longer called. Guys are constantly skating into the path of fore checkers and feigning a lack of intention. This "oops" play is little more than extension of that philosophy.

I think if Letang is looking where he's going, he is better prepared to be hit long after the puck is gone.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
The thing about collisions like this, only Giroux knows if there was intend to jump backwards. In slow motion it looks that way, at normal speed it doesn't.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Giroux knew what he was doing there... much like Hornqvist later in the game knew he was going to get crosschecked and turned into it...then made sure he hit the boards ...

Come on, like no one here ever took a hit and used it as an excuse to go out if your way to crush a goalie or unsuspecting player..lol... dirty but common tactic in the game of hockeT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad