Speculation: Giordano not ruling out return to playoffs (in second round)

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
I agree with the posters saying if he is confident and gets medical clearance, you play him. Who knows if we will even be in the playoffs next year? Regression is still a possibility. IMO you take a run while you can.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Guys... medical clearance is enough.

Not like he's going to the Medi-clinic in Brentwood for permission. He's got professional sports doctors who have monitored the injury from the minute it happened. They will know if he's good to go and if it's safe for him. I don't think we have to worry about them putting him in too early.

I can only imagine how fired up this team would be in the 2nd round with him back.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
This would be so awesome. I've thought about it as a hypothetical a lot (as in 'yes, we can beat VAN, but without Gio the odds after that are terrible'), but now that I know it's possible - its like I wish I didn't know. It gets my hopes up too much.

Ticonderoga

For the Watch
Jul 17, 2007
New Westminster
Guys it's the Ploffs, it's all about winning. Of course I don't want to see him get hurt, but if he says he good to go, you put him in. Gio a warrior and this is what you dream of when you're a kid, it's exactly why we all love him. What a ******* captain, my god.

True, but the Flames also have a responsibility to protect their players despite them saying they are good to go. It's a decision that will not be made lightly.

Of course this is all theoretical as we have to get past Wednesday's game first.

Ticonderoga

For the Watch
Jul 17, 2007
New Westminster

Not like he's going to the Medi-clinic in Brentwood for permission. He's got professional sports doctors who have monitored the injury from the minute it happened. They will know if he's good to go and if it's safe for him. I don't think we have to worry about them putting him in too early.

I can only imagine how fired up this team would be in the 2nd round with him back.

Not always, name me one doctor who is right all the time. If I were the Flames I would get several opinions before risking my best player further.

I would love to see him play, but I have strong doubts based on the original diagnosis.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Maybe he can play 2nd pairing with Brodie? Don't play top notch minutes, but play 2nd pairing minutes with Brodie to take off some of the minutes from Russell and Wideman.

I want to see Gio play so badly, he'd be a difference maker. But I won't be expecting it.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Not always, name me one doctor who is right all the time. If I were the Flames I would get several opinions before risking my best player further.

I would love to see him play, but I have strong doubts based on the original diagnosis.

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

Seriously though, the Flames aren't going to just let him play for the sake of getting him out there. They share our sentiments too that he needs to be healthy long term. I just don't think a bunch of internet posters are going to be the only voice of reason here, it's just common sense that he not risk injuring himself further.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:amazed:

It's thread worthy.

I'd only be concerned that he aggravates the injury somehow, makes it worse or (Gaud forbid) hamper his career.
The latter is my biggest concern.

Eric Lindros had medical clearance when he shouldn't have. It happens all the time with athletes. Whether it be their competitive nature or the teams having millions of dollars on the line; but unfortunately the health of players is sometimes overlooked.

AS (aka Dr. Feelgood) thinks he is right all the time.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Didn't Crosby also get medical clearance after one of his concussions and then he was worse off because he went back too soon?

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
You know, just the hope of Gio coming back in the 2nd Round could be enough to help the team get there.

Just one game, and one series at a time boys. Just like we did all year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Doubt he'd be ready but stranger things have happened. Have to take a professional, competitive athletes opinion on whether they're good to go with a grain of salt. On the flip side, medical staff/management have been known to give players a clearance even if their still injured - not so much in Calgary but it happened a few times in Edmonton.

Moreover, if he's not 100%, specifically his ability to move the puck or take shots, it might just be better to keep him on the sidelines.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I believe Crosby was misdiagnosed with a concussion when he had a spinal/neck injury. He's been fine ever since he was treated properly.

I'm not suggesting Gio should come back and play if his injury isn't healed to a point where he's not medically cleared. But let's say he's 75% healed, the Dr's access that the chance of long term damage is low and he feels he can contribute, then I think put him in providing if he feels he can go.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Hopefully we did get 1000 for him though this is the way he pays us back, way to go Gio :yo:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Exactly, he is a much better player when he has a much better defenseman playing on his side. Josi 2.0

Anybody 2.0. Put a good defenceman with a bad one, and the good one has to play more conservatively; if he didn't try to cover for the weak link he'd be a bad defenceman as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad