Speculation: Giordano not ruling out return to playoffs (in second round)

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I got the notification on my phone, and checked it out. If the Flames manage to come out and beat Vancouver in the first round, Gio could be back pending clearance from doctors.

Via the Score:

Mark Giordano isn't ready to burn this season quite yet.

The Calgary Flames defenseman, out since late February with a torn biceps tendon, skated on his own Monday and didn't rule out a postseason return should the club advance past the first round - pending medical clearance.

It may not be the likeliest of scenarios, as Giordano was initially ruled out of play for up to five months with the injury. But if the Flames can add their top defenseman, who was in the midst of a Norris Trophy-level campaign, their season could become all the more impressive.

Giordano scored 11 goals and added 37 assists in 61 games, finishing the season as Calgary's fifth-leading scorer.

Link: http://www.thescore.com/news/744774

AS, Stewie, Hox: Feel free to move it if you guys feel this isn't thread-worthy, but considering I didn't even expect to see Gio until the fall, I thought it might be worthy of a thread.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Would be awesome but only if he's really 100% good to go. Would hate to see him screw up his arm long term because of a few playoff games.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Would be awesome but only if he's really 100% good to go. Would hate to see him screw up his arm long term because of a few playoff games.

Agreed with this. This isn't even supposed to be our year. Would rather he not risk it and come back 100% next year when we're even better.

That being said, holy crap, the excitement!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Please, please, please be true.

I can't see why it's not true - if he had medical clearance he'd be suiting up on Wednesday.

It's the medical clearance that's the issue.

dr-nick-riviera-billboard-the-simpsons.jpg

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wonder if this is motivation to make it to the 2nd round. Get past the Canucks in hopes your captain can come back.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Stupid. I know he misses playing, but why risk another injury and potentially being out at the beginning of the season or longer? Sure I want him to come back, but 100% healthy.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

I'm with you. I don't think management or team doctors would allow him to return if there was the possibility of long-term damage if he came back early from injury for a few ploff games. Still exciting news though, and I hope that if we get to the second round he'll be healthy enough to join the team again.

Ticonderoga

For the Watch
Jul 17, 2007
New Westminster
Wasn't his timetable to return 4 months? If so, any premature return could not only set him back further but also be a possible liability for the team if he is not close to %100.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him come back, but I think this might be wishful thinking at this point.

Last edited:

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Stupid. I know he misses playing, but why risk another injury and potentially being out at the beginning of the season or longer? Sure I want him to come back, but 100% healthy.

I'd 100% rather have him play in the ploffs and miss the first month of next season over the opposite happening.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'd 100% rather have him play in the ploffs and miss the first month of next season over the opposite happening.

Nope. I would rather get eliminated earlier this year, then bring him back at 100% next year and go on a real run with a year of playoff experience under our belts.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Guys it's the Ploffs, it's all about winning. Of course I don't want to see him get hurt, but if he says he good to go, you put him in. Gio a warrior and this is what you dream of when you're a kid, it's exactly why we all love him. What a ******* captain, my god.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Guys it's the Ploffs, it's all about winning. Of course I don't want to see him get hurt, but if he says he good to go, you put him in. Gio a warrior and this is what you dream of when you're a kid, it's exactly why we all love him. What a ******* captain, my god.

It's a tough call, but I'm with you on this one.

Gio >>>>>>> Potter/Wotherspoon.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It was said when they announced the injury he couldnt make it worse. Might just make the off season harder and the pain would not be pleasant to play through.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's a tough call, but I'm with you on this one.

Gio >>>>>>> Potter/Wotherspoon.

If he's not ready, he can't play. But most guys aren't 100% this time of year, the fans don't see that. There's no guarantees we're back here next year, if Gio is borderline and he says he can go, then you don't stop him. That's playoffs, some don't have the stomach for it and guys like Gio are a dying breed in pro sports.

I'll never forget when my football coach in Grade 7 asked me if I knew the difference between pain and injury when I got cut pretty bad on a play. Injury means someone else in for you and you can't play, I taped up my hand and went back in. In grade 12 at Francis, my back was so bad my final year I literally couldn't walk for 2 days after some games, I was on pain killers non stop. We won the city championship that year and that was the last time I ever played football was in the finals. My teammates carried me off the field in the 4th quarter and to this day I still get emotional thinking about that. I could have played college in the U.S. but I chose not to get bone fused to my spine to correct my back.

There's a chance we aren't back here for a few seasons. If Gio can get in the lineup, it would be a tremendous lift to our team and maybe would be enough of a lift to make a deep run. I just have a feeling about this group, I don't think anyone wants to play us.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Wasn't his timetable to return 4 months? If so, any premature return could not only set him back further but also be a possible liability for the team if he in not close to %100.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him come back, but I think this might be wishful thinking at this point.

I want him to be as cautious as possible as well and not come back unless he's 100%. That said, if he did come back early, he could literally play with one arm amputated and he'd be better than Smid, Engelland, and Potter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad