Gilbert Brule vs Andrei Kastitsyn

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Totally. Jarome Iginla vs Mathieu Garon. Apples and oranges. :rolleyes:

I don't get what you're implying...:dunno:

I just thought your comment about it being easy to compare both players was odd given the fact one's a goalie and the other a forward. What you don't agree with that?

Ok...who's better everyone...Martin Brodeur or Peter Forsberg:shakehead

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There are plenty of good goalies who play on bad teams. Marc Denis, Manny Fernandez come to mind. In the WHL, there's Devan Dubnyk. Carey Price is not one of them. Tri-City being terrible was (partly, of course) a consequence of Price's play, not vice-versa.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I just thought your comment about it being easy to compare both players was odd given the fact one's a goalie and the other a forward. What you don't agree with that?

Comparing a GOOD goalie, with a good forward, yes. But comparing the best forward the WHL has seen since Jarome Iginla with a crappy goalie is in no way difficult. Obviously, if Price didn't stink out the joint last year the jury would still be out.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There are plenty of good goalies who play on bad teams. Marc Denis, Manny Fernandez come to mind. In the WHL, there's Devan Dubnyk. Carey Price is not one of them. Tri-City being terrible was (partly, of course) a consequence of Price's play, not vice-versa.

Are you seriously saying that Tri-City was a bad team because of Price's play?

It's impossible to say that Brule was the better pick when neither of them have played regularly in the NHL.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Comparing a GOOD goalie, with a good forward, yes. But comparing the best forward the WHL has seen since Jarome Iginla with a crappy goalie is in no way difficult. Obviously, if Price didn't stink out the joint last year the jury would still be out.

Oh for christ's sake, get real. How in the hell is Carey Price a crappy goalie? :shakehead

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Well **** then, I guess I could be better than Brule since without playing in the NHL how could we ever know? :dunno:

I don't think you understand.

You're saying that Gilbert Brule was a better pick then Carey Price. Neither of them have started their NHL careers yet. We are not going to know which was the better pick until they either both play in the NHL, or one of them busts. It's too early to tell. And to say that Carey Price is a crappy goalie? :shakehead

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Terry Ryan was a pretty good WHL player as well...what happened to him? Oh wait!

(i'm not comparing Brule vs. Terry Ryan btw)

Price a crappy goalie? I just realized debating this with you is fruitless, a crappy goalie is whomever the Canucks have had in goal since Kirk McLean

Next Best Thing*

You should go skydiving without a parachute. Really.

Tri-City was a powerhouse!

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I really don't see how any of this rates as disagreeing with what I posted. I objected to the use of the word "great" to describe his games. I don't see any of your game descriptions diverging from my own summary in any way whatsoever. :dunno:

What I understood from your post is that his NHL stint was nothing to rave about, what I'm trying to say is that I disagree and that he did look good.

He showed that he COULD play in the big league and have an impact; people seem to think he is invisible but when he was on the ice during his NHL stint, he made every small play and played hard even when he wasn't putting up points on the scoreboard.

Randall Graves*

I find it interesting that the ones who actually contribute to the evaluation of the players on the 'mothersite' of this board (hockeysfuture.com) have actually evaluated Kostitsyn as being superior to Brulé.

Kostitsyn is rated an 8.5B and Brulé is rated at 8.0B. That doesn't seem like much but it implies that Kostitsyn has the potential of being an 'elite' forward while Brulé is sloted as being a potential 1st liner. They're both given a B qualifier which means that both 'should reach potential' but 'could drop 1 rating' meaning that Kostitsyn could still end up being a 1st liner whereas Brulé will be a second-liner.

A year ago, Kostitsyn was rated a 9.0C meaning that he had an actual potential of being an elite player but could be, at worst, a 2nd liner. Kostitsyn has essentially stayed at the same rating level over the last three years. That stability indicates something solid.

That Kostitsyn is still playing in the AHL is likely due to the fact that he's had a harder time adjusting to the North American hockey setting whereas, for Brulé, it's part of the breast milk that he drank since his infancy. It's also likely a function of the fact that the Canadiens don't want to rush him into the bigs so as to burn him.
Am I sold on Kostitsyn? Yes... Do I see him as being a bust? No... Will he be a positive contributor to the team? I don't know... my name isn't God but all reasoned & unbiased indications are that he will.

Am I sold on Brulé? Yes... Do I see him as being a bust? No but, due to his Wendel Clark, Eric Lindros and Saku Koivu hard hitting style of play, I see him risking becoming a crippled and semi-effectual player in the not too distant future... Will Brulé be a positive contributor to his team? Again, I don't know and for the same reason as above but reasoned and unbiased indications are that he will.

Who would I choose for my team? Being a Canadiens fan, I don't have much choice there.

Who do I think will be better? Again and, as always, I don't know... much can happen over the next couple of years... much, much could happen... and, to be honest, I'm afraid for Brulé... I'm concerned for his health (as with Wendel Clark, Eric Lindros and Saku Koivu, etc...).
all that means is either the montreal guy loves kotsitsyn a little too much, or the CBJ guy doesn't like Brule enough.

Really at this stage it's not comparison and for anyone to suggest so is ridiculous..

Heske_44

Jul 4, 2006
all that means is either the montreal guy loves kotsitsyn a little too much, or the CBJ guy doesn't like Brule enough.

Really at this stage it's not comparison and for anyone to suggest so is ridiculous..

HFboards in general is speculation or rumours, nothing is ever considered concrete unless something has been released to the general public.

So if this thread is ridiculous then we might as well stop predicting lines, making trade offers, and scouting players as it would all be so ridiculous.

As for your first sentence, you don't know that to be true at all. It could be the Montreal guy doesn't love Kostitsyn enough and CBJ guy likes Brule too much. The point is, you say it is too early to makes comparisons, then why would you say ya Kostitsyn is being overrated and Brule is underrated?? All that means is you are speculating like the rest of us, practice what you preach in the future.

Randall Graves*

Hey, I don't necessarily disagree with your arguments, Kostitsyn's offensive production has been disapointing considering his draft status, I don't think anyone can deny that. However, I think your writing him off way too early, certain circumstances (like the Habs poor handling of his development - should of came over to the CHL 2 years ago) haven't helped him either. I think with the Bulldogs improving their talent level this year will go a long way in improving his offensive numbers, personally I couldn't careless how much he produces in the AHL, he's got great offensive tools which lead me to believe that if he rounds out the rest of his game and plays with players capable of exploiting his skills, he'll produce. It's his work ethic that has me worried beyond anything, we need to see a more sustained effort from him IMO.

I've seen you allude to the fact that Montreal's management thinks so 'highly' of him, that they signed Samsonov and traded for Johnson...I think that's a weak argument because Kostitsyn is only 21 yrs old, and given the fact they're a playoff contending team, why depend on a still raw 21yr old to play in your top 6 when you're already a team struggling to score goals.

My point is, he's a extremely talented kid IMO, i've seen him play live a couple of times and he's got everything you look for in a scoring winger, he just needs to harness all that talent and potential, and that's going to be the coaching staff's challenge with him. Time will tell I guess, I think this season will be extremely key for him, he's got to show a dramatic increase in production.
he may be extremely talented, but look at all the players taken after him..do you honestly he'd be the best choice? I can think of 10 guys i'd rather have that were taken after..

Randall Graves*

HFboards in general is speculation or rumours, nothing is ever considered concrete unless something has been released to the general public.

So if this thread is ridiculous then we might as well stop predicting lines, making trade offers, and scouting players as it would all be so ridiculous.

As for your first sentence, you don't know that to be true at all. It could be the Montreal guy doesn't love Kostitsyn enough and CBJ guy likes Brule too much. The point is, you say it is too early to makes comparisons, then why would you say ya Kostitsyn is being overrated and Brule is underrated?? All that means is you are speculating like the rest of us, practice what you preach in the future.
Brule at this stage is a better prospect and is much more likely to reach his potential..he should without a doubt be rated higher than Kotsitsyn.

Heske_44

Jul 4, 2006
Brule at this stage is a better prospect and is much more likely to reach his potential..he should without a doubt be rated higher than Kotsitsyn.

These are ceilings the ratings are referring to not what is most likely. Lets clear that up.

Funny again how the Habs scout said Kostitsyn has the skills of a Hossa or Ovy but lacks work ethic. For the very last time work ethic and communication have been his downfall. His weaknesses can be altered to allow him to still reach his potential, he can learn the language and work harder.

Sure Brule is more likely to reach his potential and of right now a better prospect in terms of reaching that potential. That does not mean in any way his overall ceiling is viewed to automatically be higher than Kostitsyn's, get real.

You understand where I am going with this? On one hand we have a professional giving skill comparisons of elite players and on other other hand we have......you saying it should be without a doubt......yawn.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

For some strange reason the players, management and broadcasters from the 10 Western Conference teams voted Carey Price,

Most Valuable to his team
Best Goaltender
Best Pro Prospect

On the downside he did get runner up to most overrated.

http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/hockey/americans/story/7465923p-7376255c.html

Randall Graves*

These are ceilings the ratings are referring to not what is most likely. Lets clear that up.

Funny again how the Habs scout said Kostitsyn has the skills of a Hossa or Ovy but lacks work ethic. For the very last time work ethic and communication have been his downfall. His weaknesses can be altered to allow him to still reach his potential, he can learn the language and work harder.

Sure Brule is more likely to reach his potential and of right now a better prospect in terms of reaching that potential. That does not mean in any way his overall ceiling is viewed to automatically be higher than Kostitsyn's, get real.

You understand where I am going with this? On one hand we have a professional giving skill comparisons of elite players and on other other hand we have......you saying it should be without a doubt......yawn.
Yeah, why have an opinion. Watch them play.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005

:shakehead

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Kostitsyn's potential owns Brule's but Brule is likely to be a better point producer if healthy.

But I think there's still a chance that Kosty becomes something like Kovalev.... I sure hope so.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kostitsyn's potential owns Brule's but Brule is likely to be a better point producer if healthy.

But I think there's still a chance that Kosty becomes something like Kovalev.... I sure hope so.

Don't make me laugh, it's not even funny how much some of you hab fans are totaly undervaluing Brule's offensive potential and overvaluating Kostitsyn's. Brule is the more skilled player and has a much higher ceiling, it just so happens Brule is also exceptional in his own end unlike Kostitsyn.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
Carey Price = Underrated by habs fans and everyone

Brule=Overrated by everyone

Kostitsyn = underrated by everyone too but can be overrate by some habs fans

Carey Price > Brule > Kostitsyn

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Carey Price = Underrated by habs fans and everyone

Brule=Overrated by everyone

Kostitsyn = underrated by everyone too but can be overrate by some habs fans

Carey Price > Brule > Kostitsyn

I'd say it's more like Brule > Kostitsyn > Price

Until I see Price play better, I think Kostitsyn is the better Hab prospect and Brule if he stays healthy should be a great player. I'd rather have Price though, cause hopefully he will be our franchise goalie since we need him in the future. Danis and Halak are solid goalies from what I've seen but their potential isn't as good as Price, although potential doesn't add to a hill of beans if you can't realize that potential, which sort of goes for Kostitsyn, he has started to show it imo but also shows how raw his all round game still is.

I really don't care what Brule does as a Hab fan, doesn't matter now cause there's no take backs, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that Price is going to be good in the NHL. Looks like he's going to be a star in the NHL, good for the jackets.

stockwizard*

I'd say it's more like Brule > Kostitsyn > Price

Until I see Price play better, I think Kostitsyn is the better Hab prospect and Brule if he stays healthy should be a great player. I'd rather have Price though, cause hopefully he will be our franchise goalie since we need him in the future. Danis and Halak are solid goalies from what I've seen but their potential isn't as good as Price, although potential doesn't add to a hill of beans if you can't realize that potential, which sort of goes for Kostitsyn, he has started to show it imo but also shows how raw his all round game still is.

I really don't care what Brule does as a Hab fan, doesn't matter now cause there's no take backs, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that Price is going to be good in the NHL. Looks like he's going to be a star in the NHL, good for the jackets.

Make no mistake about it. Brule will be a first line center.

Oh, Montreal. The shame. :biglaugh:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Make no mistake about it. Brule will be a first line center.

Oh, Montreal. The shame. :biglaugh:

you are the shame ..
seriously, i've never seen so man people on a draft pick like that ..
do you think atlanta is a shame because they passed on phaneuf for coburn...
or that ALL NHL teams are a shame because bergeron was passed by all of them ??

and brule might become a 1st line player but price might becone a nhl goalie too..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad