GDT: Germany vs Norway, Relegation; Jan. 4, 11:00 a.m local, 5:00 a.m. EST

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
Meh finish to a great game. Congratulations Germany! I think it's a deserved victory for them.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
I guess if you beat Finland and compete with Canada you probably deserve to stay up

Good job by Germany. Tough loss for Norway, one of the better relegated teams we’ve seen

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I absolutely have no clue where they unearth these referees for this tournament year in and year out. Do they just dig up some graves, give electro shock therapy to the unholy remains and then say, "there buddy, ya good to go!"?
Ten seconds before that huge chance for Norway in the OT, a German player was clearly hooked and even lost his stick due to the infraction. No wonder Norway was put into a position to succeed there and then.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Smart and gritty player with a low core gravity allowing him to not only withstand initial attacks, but swerve and twist in a manner that usually buys him time and space.

Can find his colleagues and has a nose for the net. Is more likely to make the nice pass somewhere than rocket the puck in.

He's been one of the more positive notes for Team Germany as he's looked very confident throughout the tourney.

I stand corrected!

A game with almost no calls being made and then they call that... :eyeroll:

This can't be done.

You can't put your whistle away like that for 30+ minutes, sometimes ignoring blatant and dangerous actions, only to then call that in this stage of the game.

What ensued is why.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Sixth year in top division for Germany. Next year will be hard again until the 07s should take over

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Congrats to Germany, they deserve to be in the top division.

Have to tip my cap to Norway for their effort in this tournament. They didn't give an inch and fought for their lives the entire event. Hope they can qualify again next year.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Honestly, not too upset about the refs. They were pretty consistent in not calling anything. Norway understood that and took advantage, while our boys kept playing like they expected the refs to call everything. It's not like they let everything go for one team but called the other team for the same infractions.

And that delay of game call against Rollinger was absolutely correct. They told him repeatedly to move back and stay outside of the faceoff circle, but he insisted on lining up, not just on the line but fully inside the circle and then proceeded to move before the puck was dropped. At some point he should have realized that the refs were serious about this.
That was pure stupidity by Rollinger.

Glad they managed to pull off the win and stay in the top division. Hopefully, they can repeat this feat next year, when the team might be even weaker.

Reactions: PenskyMaterial

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Disappointed. But I'm still proud of the team's effort today.
Congrats to Germany.

They should be proud of their showing throughout the event, there was no clear bottom team in this tournament as is often the case. Norway demonstrated a ton of heart and competed against each opponent, far from being an easy walk through like the majority of promoted teams. One bounce away from avoiding relegation.

Based on the talent eligible to return, I fully expect to see Norway qualify again for 2026.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Same for Latvia, so the bottom teams might not be as competitive next year. We might have a bunch of double underagers in Ottawa.
Didn't you have many underagers this year? Slovakia should be weaker, don't know anything about the kazahks and the swiss might have a stronger team than all of us but you never know. Should be close between these 4 I guess but the german 05s and 06s are really baaaad

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Didn't you have many underagers this year? Slovakia should be weaker, don't know anything about the kazahks and the swiss might have a stronger team than all of us but you never know. Should be close between these 4 I guess but the german 05s and 06s are really baaaad
We always have a number of underagers, because we simply don't have the depth.

What I mean is that we will have double underagers in the mix and maybe even 1 or 2 16 year olds depending on how they do at their clubs and the U18 Worlds later this year.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I absolutely have no clue where they unearth these referees for this tournament year in and year out. Do they just dig up some graves, give electro shock therapy to the unholy remains and then say, "there buddy, ya good to go!"?
Ten seconds before that huge chance for Norway in the OT, a German player was clearly hooked and even lost his stick due to the infraction. No wonder Norway was put into a position to succeed there and then.
Yes, the refs are often terrible at IIHF events. At this particular event, Sweden has particularly benefitted which makes me worried about the Czechs in today’s semis.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Sixth year in top division for Germany. Next year will be hard again until the 07s should take over

Eligible returnees from this team could be Pertuch, Panocha, Mayer, Niehus (injured in Game 1), Bicker, Brandl, Schreiner, and Sumpf.

I would expect particularly Bosecker and Tropmann (both D) and Vinzenz (F) to be surefire participants, if healthy. Would have liked to see all three of them this year, to be honest. Niklas Greil and Paul Lemke will be given every opportunity as well.

Other candidates from 2005 will surely pop up in the course of the next 10 months.

Germany simply likes to lean on the oldest class of players, like they want those kids to just have that experience, regardless of if they really make the team the best it can be.

What I don't expect are many, if any, 2007ers. Lewandowski, Witthöft, Späth, Händel, and Bleicher would be the only possible exceptions I can imagine at this point, but it won't be all of them.

Others who should be in the running (most being 2006-borns) are Vieillard and Neiße in goal, Merkl, Ficenec, and Kaiser on the blueline, and Maul, Pul, Sager, Schwarz, Seidl, and Boos.

I personally like the upside of a number of those players better than that of this year's team, most particularly in goal and on the blueline.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I believe Germany will look at a similar situation next year as they did this year.
A year ago I had little hope for this group, but then guys like Kechter, Elias, Weber, Hauf, Schindler and Hördler and a few others really stepped up and Lutz got back on track.
This gave me a little bit of hope.

Right now the 05s and 06s are not looking good, but there are already a few of them seemingly on the right track. If Kaiser could continue his development of the season so far, he could be a big help (literally). I am pretty confident that the depth will be alright, but I do have concerns about the level of our top players. Sumpf and Bicker look good, Hopefully Brandl will close the gap that opened up over the last season and a half. But there is no real game breaking talent there. We also have a number of guys who struggle to stay healthy (Tropmann and Vinzens most of all).
One 06 I am curious about is Marcel Tabert. I wonder if he will become an option.

We will have a ton of hard workers, forecheckers and penalty killers available, but I have not idea who is supposed to score the goals except, Bicker, Sumpf and maybe Brandl.
Defense looks more promising thanks to some solid 06s (Merkl, Ficenec, Kaiser), and another year (including an offseason) of development should help guys like Mayer and Panocha to hopefully take the next step.

We also have many options in goal, just not a single one that really stands out. Maybe one can separate himself from the pack until next year.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I believe Germany will look at a similar situation next year as they did this year. A year ago I had little hope for this group, but then guys like Kechter, Elias, Weber, Hauf, Schindler and Hördler and a few others really stepped up and Lutz got back on track. This gave me a little bit of hope.

Yep, a few guys will surely have us feeling better next year at this time. I actually think the goaltending and blueline are bound to be better - or at lease more highly profiled.

One 06 I am curious about is Marcel Tabert. I wonder if he will become an option.

Tell us more!

He's been in Massachussetts forever. Do you know when or if he last played in Germany?

We will have a ton of hard workers, forecheckers and penalty killers available, but I have not idea who is supposed to score the goals except, Bicker, Sumpf and maybe Brandl.

Definitely hoping guys like Pul, Maul, Vinzenz, and maybe even Seidl and Schwarz will be looking like guys who can score by Christmas next year.

Have my doubts about Brandl and Schreiner.

Defense looks more promising thanks to some solid 06s (Merkl, Ficenec, Kaiser), and another year (including an offseason) of development should help guys like Mayer and Panocha to hopefully take the next step.

Throw in Niehus, Bosecker, Lemke, and the aforementioned Tropmann, and that group will be vastly better than this year's. Heck, Bleicher could even be the big name next fall if he keeps ascending like he has this year.

We also have many options in goal, just not a single one that really stands out. Maybe one can separate himself from the pack until next year.

My money is on Vieillard turning into a viable option. At the moment though, Pertuch is looking like the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad