GDT: Germany vs Norway, Relegation; Jan. 4, 11:00 a.m local, 5:00 a.m. EST

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This game is just as interesting as the semifinals. Unlike other years this game is not best of 3, but just 1 game. Gonna be a nail biter. I think Germany takes it, but im cheering for Norway

Reactions: Pieck

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Germany are the favorites, but I'm rooting for Norway. Norway has the best team in years and their top line is impressive for Norwegian standards. Would be nice to see them again next year in Ottawa.

And in a single round elimination Norway can definitely take the win here if they get a couple of lucky bounces.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
GER fans, your thoughts on Elias? Watched him in couple of games and highlights in DEL and he was pretty good for a young kid in big boys league. Pre-Tournament games were aight for him as well stats-wise but here he seems to struggle, no points despite first line duties and big minutes with quality partners

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
GER fans, your thoughts on Elias? Watched him in couple of games and highlights in DEL and he was pretty good for a young kid in big boys league. Pre-Tournament games were aight for him as well stats-wise but here he seems to struggle, no points despite first line duties and big minutes with quality partners
I'm not a German fan but watched every game.. At his size you need to have some special quicks and he's quick but not really fast. Good edges, nice playmaker. No shot so I am surprised he has 5 goals in the DEL. His numbers are pretty good there.

Be good for him to breakout in a few hours.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Which team is expected to be better next year? I hope that team wins

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I thought i read this was Norway's golden generation.. so perhaps decent next year?

The German fans can discuss next year for them.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I thought i read this was Norway's golden generation.. so perhaps decent next year?

Germany is much deeper than Norway, but Norway did send Germany down in the U18 Worlds last year. I think it's probably going to be much the same as this year.

Norway will have a weaker forward core, though.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I'm not a German fan but watched every game.. At his size you need to have some special quicks and he's quick but not really fast. Good edges, nice playmaker. No shot so I am surprised he has 5 goals in the DEL. His numbers are pretty good there.

Be good for him to breakout in a few hours.
did he not have a brother who is pretty good?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Smart and gritty player with a low core gravity allowing him to not only withstand initial attacks, but swerve and twist in a manner that usually buys him time and space.

Can find his colleagues and has a nose for the net. Is more likely to make the nice pass somewhere than rocket the puck in.

He's been one of the more positive notes for Team Germany as he's looked very confident throughout the tourney.

Reactions: aonb

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
Game of big emotions coming up. Relegation makes for some of the most dramatic, beautiful and harrowing sports moments. Let's hope its a good one!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

For both teams, this tourney is the last one for several players whose "replacements" are uncertain moving forward.

I haven't looked at the Norwegian roster intensively, but this Team Germany has 6 players who could return next winter plus Lua Niehus, who was injured in the tournament's first game (and thus replaced by the recalled Paul Mayer).

At least Norway will have its U18 team in the top division. It relegated Germany at the last U18 Worlds, doing so very convincingly.

On paper, I think Norway will have a hard time finding a replacement for Stensrud, despite several poorer performances at this tournament. He could be the singlemost important player in today's game.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
did he not have a brother who is pretty good?

His bro Elias had a HUGE WJC centering Stützle and Peterka a few years back, when Germany lost by one goal to Russia in the quarterfinals. He had 9 points if I remember correctly.

He was already playing DEL hockey too.

But he's never been able to excel since then and continues to play on downtrodden teams where he theoretically should be getting some good minutes, but isn't, even if injury has sometimes played a role in that.

At the moment, Moritz has surpassed Elias as a more effective DEL player. Then again, Moritz already played DEL hockey as a 16-year-old during a shortened pandemic season in which many very young players got a shot at DEL hockey for no less than financial reasons.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Next year is the year for Norway...been hearing that for a while now but I've come to the conclusion that it's not gonna happen until they fix their skating. Looks like it's a structural problem.

In Switzerland we do have lots of structural problems as well...poor coaches etc. However, the one thing everyone, be it a little kid just starting with hockey or an established hockey pro is forced to to do over and over again is skating drills. And it shows. As one of the weaker nations you're chasing the puck a lot so you need energy for days. Even some of the weaker Swiss teams like this year still manage to be competitive in a lot of games vs stronger opponents just because they're equal if not better skaters. Allows you to outpace even more skilled opponents and it also physically allows you to play a full 60' or more on the same level.

Norway has had teams with a lot of high end skill but especially for a team lacking depth and relying on fewer players to shoulder heavy minutes good skating is important. I didn't see that. Those Norwegian teams always have the same two problems. They're too slow and they hardly ever keep their level up for a full 60'. They'd be good enough to win games but they're not just because they cannot skate.

With the change of format though I think they have a chance. They wouldn't have won a series vs Germany but they can totally win a single game. What worries me a bit is that Stensrud got figured out. I'm sure the German stuff noticed as well.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
How many missed calls do we want?
Refs: Yes

somebody give them some contact lenses.
The whistles are gone. It's clear that there's no desire to let either team win this thing on the power play.

I don't expect to see any calls unless they are so blatant, they can't be denied. Up to now, I think this will be of an advantage for Norway.

Admittedly, the post-whistle roughhousing on Johnsen by Weber should definitely have led to something, but the regular clutching and grabbing by the Norwegians is being completely ignored.

Apparently, checks from behind won't be called at all.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I would have been fine with a call on weber. But oswald is getting wrecked out there.
This will get way out of hand.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I would have been fine with a call on weber. But oswald is getting wrecked out there.
This will get way out of hand.

He is. And there have been a few too many checks where the opposing player has full sight of the number on the back of the guy he's checking. The refs will lose the game if they keep allowing guys to hit other after the whistle.

Germany has to use this intermission to get it through their heads that any attempt to "sell a call" will be ignored and frowned upon.

What Hübner did (after looking so lacsadaisical in allowing that puck to even get into the zone) was very costly. I couldn't see if he got clipped in the face, but he definitely tried to sell that call rather than just stop and clear that puck. Heck, had he just remained lieing on the ice, he might have blocked Johnsen's pass or the ensuing shot. Very, very poor decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad