Germany to the finals!

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
If Germany wins it would be a much bigger upset than 1980. Really that USA team was a lot better than people give them credit. I find the term 'Miricle on Ice' to be pretty derogatory towards that team, a team that had quite a few players that went on to have solid careers in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I bet Leon Draisaitl feels bittersweet about it.

He worked his ass off a couple summers ago to get Germany qualified for the tournament and he isn't there to finish it off.

That said he is probably so proud of his fellow teammates for doing so well.

Reactions: cg98 and Frannel

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
giphy.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I bet Leon Draisaitl feels bittersweet about it.

He worked his ass off a couple summers ago to get Germany qualified for the tournament and he isn't there to finish it off.

That said he is probably so proud of his fellow teammates for doing so well.

I hate to say it, but if he'd been there, they probably wouldn't be in this position.

Good to know he had a hand in their success though.

Jan 21, 2018
A few weeks ago I thought this tournament was a waste of time since the NHL is not involved.

Granted I still haven't watched a single minute of Olympic hockey this year, but seeing a team like Germany advance to the final is awesome.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Considering that Slovakia (which is a worse team than Germany) have beaten OAR in the preliminary anything can happen. OAR are still the huge favorites though obviously.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wonder if Germany's performance will lead to any noteworthy growth in German hockey down the road. That would be quite interesting. As for the game obviously almost everyone will root for Germany. Germany very likely will lose, but there is no need to compare it to the 1980 Olympic medal if Germany randomly wins. Massive difference.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If Germany wins it would be a much bigger upset than 1980. Really that USA team was a lot better than people give them credit. I find the term 'Miricle on Ice' to be pretty derogatory towards that team, a team that had quite a few players that went on to have solid careers in the NHL.

But remember who the US was playing. That Russian team was also the best team they could ever put on the ice. There were no Russians in the NHL and that team had been playing together for some time. There was no way that the US should have beat the Russians. I've heard it said that if that US / Russian game had been played 100 times, the Russians would have won 99 times out of 100.

Germany beating this Russian team would be big, but these Russians are no where as good as the 1980 team was.

But, each country has it's own "greatest" hockey moment. Canada was 1972, the US it was 1980, for Germany it may be 2018....

Go Germany.

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Good for Germany, but even if they win gold their achievement will always mean less than it would otherwise because the NHL wasnt participating.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Do you have any idea how hard it is not to make WWII jokes when watching Germany? Especially when they have a guy named Krupp on the team! :)
When I lived in America it was one of the main things I was asked about. Every tenth conversation with a guy I was getting to know had a "so, how about the war" kind of twist.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad