Germany to the finals!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hope this creates more hockey excitement in Germany.

Hockey does decent in Germany. Even baseball and American football have a small following. It's an sports-loving country of 82 million, so just about anything will do ok.

It's just that there's a certain ceiling, because soccer is full South America status in Germany. It's oxygen.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hockey does decent in Germany. Even baseball and American football have a small following. It's an sports-loving country of 82 million, so just about anything will do ok.

It's just that there's a certain ceiling, because soccer is full South America status in Germany. It's oxygen.

I mean every medium to small town has a soccer club and is at least semi-professionally organized. Good luck finding hockey rinks outside a couple of hubs.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
1)Germans will watch anything with two nets

2)They'll still be up from Saturday night

Sorry Hockey is here not so popular, there was a Time in the 90´s but afterwards only if you interested to. Only if we Have the World CUp in germany people Hockey Fans for 3 Years, but know nothing about hockey. So here is nothing beside soccer. Europe is to 60%-70% Suckerland im mean Soccerland.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I am so excited for Germany. After beating Sweden I decided to root for them the rest of the way. Glad they're going to the big one! Good luck, Jungen!

Reactions: Frannel

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sorry Hockey is here not so popular, there was a Time in the 90´s but afterwards only if you interested to. Only if we Have the World CUp in germany people Hockey Fans for 3 Years, but know nothing about hockey. So here is nothing beside soccer. Europe is to 60%-70% Suckerland im mean Soccerland.

I mean if you have some success you can build on it. Dirk and his merry band of misfits made Basketball popular for quite a while.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

The Polar Bears draw over 13,000, I think that's very respectable.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Preliminary games are not the same as playoff round games. An upset in single elimination is considered larger, fair or not I can't say.

Sure but that was Switzerland beating what was supposed to be the best Canada could offer that year by shutout. The importance of the game is much different but it was still, if I recall correctly, two NHLers and one former NHLer shutting out a fully loaded Canada.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's certainly going to be my approach.

I feel like I'm going to have to do that when the Weltmeisterschaft is in Russia :(

I'm sure the American networks will have replays because football is very much a thing here now, but how can I just sleep when my team is playing?

It's funny how everyone else here was discouraged when the USMNT got knocked out and I was just like

1qs5yd.jpg

I root for the US but they're very much my #2. In other sports it's the other way around, but football is everything to my German half :laugh:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I mean if you have some success you can build on it. Dirk and his merry band of misfits made Basketball popular for quite a while.

That is true but that belongs to somehing different. In my youth and school time everyone play basketball everyone can cause there is always a place for that. So they Way to the Sport is something Big.
Yeah basketball league here in German get some light and tme, also media time. But Hockey is a sport you mostly find Fans in Towns where is Hockey.
And the Reputation for the Sport, it has here in public the reputation, only about fights and heavy checks, repputation like old Philly Team. Yes there is a Way to work with it and you can hope the work and Money for the Sport and youth development getting better here cause its lacking the last Years.

So i hope also we can work with it.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The Polar Bears draw over 13,000, I think that's very respectable.

Polar Bear is the oldest Hockey club in Germany, they had a few Years ago 100 year celebration and as addition ^read former post.
We have 4 Clubs in german that attract in the highest Lvl, but then when you go lower lvl, its more about old Hockey Towns. But the reputation for the Clubs and the Sport is lower then Basketball, handball, american Football.

I think only baseball has a lower reputation here. :D

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Polar Bear is the oldest Hockey club in Germany, they had a few Years ago 100 year celebration and as addition ^read former post.
We have 4 Clubs in german that attract in the highest Lvl, but then when you go lower lvl, its more about old Hockey Towns. But the reputation for the Clubs and the Sport is lower then Basketball, handball, american Football.

At least the DBV has 15 teams now, and you gave us Max Kepler, he's pretty awesome.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen

Lower than American Football seems a huge stretch. Who watches that? I live in Kiel, which has the Baltic Hurricanes and I don't see them doing anywhere remotely near Haie or DEG numbers for viewership. It also has no TV deal, so basically no following outside cities with GFL teams. NFL with its final on TV can maybe be said to do a bit better than NHL, but for the domestic leagues hockey outdoes AF by a wide margin.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Lower than American Football seems a huge stretch. Who watches that? I live in Kiel, which has the Baltic Hurricanes and I don't see them doing anywhere remotely near Haie or DEG numbers for viewership. It also has no TV deal, so basically no following outside cities with GFL teams. NFL with its final on TV can maybe be said to do a bit better than NHL, but for the domestic leagues hockey outdoes AF by a wide margin.

I hope at least you read my post and the context of my post otherwise i don´t understand your post. Why the NFL and NHL have different success, could belong on the cotext when are the Games played.
Also the NHL has a TV Contract in Germany, if you a german Citizen as you say, you should now. The Differemces NFL run on a free Channel everyone with Digital Recivier can reach. NHL runs on Sport-1 US Channel what is a Payment Channel not everyone can reach.

The NFL TV rankings on Sunday are up to 5% ftom Age 14-49. That means 1-2 Million people on Sunday watch Football in Germany on TV. That rankings NHL could only dreaming.
The only Hockey Games with high TV rankings are National games or WorldCup on Sport 1. On 2017 Worldcup Sport 1 reached 18% on TV Market during german game.

And as my Post sayed the most knowledge Clubs in the DEL, Munich, Berlin, Cologne and Mannheim the 4 bigger Clubs. Ingolstadt already loose Attraction.
And then where are the rest Hockey Fans. Bietingheim since there Hockey is good, Bremerhaven also longtime 2 League Club.
And then Rosenheim, Deggendorf, bad Tölz. Landshut and other old Hockey Town where 3000-6000 Fans visit old Rival Games. 6000 People for like an ECHL Game in America.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I just really hope Russia downplays Germany but Russia’s skill alone will win this one.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
To be honest ... that stays funny even though I'm german :D All time classic and I love it (really). I'm a big fan of John Cleese!

It's not, that we can't laugh about jokes about Hitler or the war where germans are the target of the joke. It's just tedious, that every sporting event in which Germany participates sparks posts about WW II, the third reich, Hitler, Blitzkrieg etc. Although I'm quite aware, that we (Germans born decades after WW II) need to be remembered of our history whenever necessary, I don't feel that an Olympic tournament is the place and time where it's necessary.

Back to topic: can't wait for the final. I'm so excited ...

Those jokes aren't even a problem if it's the Germans being ridiculed. The problem occurs if the narrative of the joke follows the narrative of Nazi Germany...

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017

Yes right! If Germany will have success in Football(Soccer) WC this year,the most Germans forget the Hockey miracle. Football supplanted other Team-Sports in Germany.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad