Germany to the finals!

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Mine wasnt a joke, i straight want germany to win because that would just be cool. They have never won a gold and doing it against a stacked russian team would make it even better
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post, I meant the one who commented on that. My sincerest apologies! :)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Please, you guys, refrain from making those kinds of jokes - Germans do not take this lightly! Cheer for or against Germany, that's fine - just no WWII or Third Reich / Hitler jokes!

No more of these jokes.

kovnik

Zadorov for Norris
Mar 28, 2008
giphy.gif

First medal in Olympic hockey since 1976, doesn't matter if we lose against Russia, the players are on the level of a Alois Schloder and Erich Kühnhackl now. Good Game Canada, I didn't expect a win. :handclap:

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
No more of these jokes.

Sigh.... I never liked Louis de Funes. John Cleese is actually quite funny, but I'm a friend of British humour anyways, and the Jerry Lewis one is simply about German language... - if you were trying to get a rise out of me: that's all you'll get :)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Congrats to Germany for making it this far.

But it's a bit sad, really, when the Germans for the possibly first time in history all watch a hockey-game... And they will be crushed. Sorry.

I know I said they would be crushed by Sweden, and I was wrong. I didn't say a word when they were up against Canada, mostly because it wasn't really Canada. But these Russians? It's enough of Russia in them, this will not be pretty. At all. Really.

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
Last one.

To be honest ... that stays funny even though I'm german :D All time classic and I love it (really). I'm a big fan of John Cleese!

It's not, that we can't laugh about jokes about Hitler or the war where germans are the target of the joke. It's just tedious, that every sporting event in which Germany participates sparks posts about WW II, the third reich, Hitler, Blitzkrieg etc. Although I'm quite aware, that we (Germans born decades after WW II) need to be remembered of our history whenever necessary, I don't feel that an Olympic tournament is the place and time where it's necessary.

Back to topic: can't wait for the final. I'm so excited ...

Reactions: Frannel

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
6 years ago they lost 1-8 vs. Czech Republic and 4-12 vs. Norway. Though only 0-2 vs. Russia.

2012 IIHF World Championship - Wikipedia
It's more about the trajectory. In the 90s, the German team was a joke and rarely appeared in the tournaments. Then they made it more and more often. Then they started putting up a fight against the 8-16 position teams. Then they started winning them and putting up a fight against the 1-8 teams. Then getting near-misses. And finally even having a chance to legit win the top 1-8 teams on a good day. And then we get to the last couple of years and today :)

I don't think they'll stay in the top 8 quite yet, but they are well on their way to having a shot at that. It all depends on how their junior program continues to develop successful individuals. If they do that smartly, they have a very good chance to be a staple in the top 8 for years to come. Nothing prevents it in terms of player pool (largest population in Europe), conditions (they have very good arenas and often have a winter), they have a winning culture in general from football, and they have a patient and organized structure in their hockey union. And also a fairly competitive national league (DEL) with quite good attendance (6000+, which is a lot in Europe).

Last edited:

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Maybe you mix something up. The 90s team with Players like Truntschka,Hegen,Hiemer or Draisaitl was pretty good for German standards.
The teams afterwards were really weak.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
To be honest ... that stays funny even though I'm german :D All time classic and I love it (really). I'm a big fan of John Cleese!

It's not, that we can't laugh about jokes about Hitler or the war where germans are the target of the joke. It's just tedious, that every sporting event in which Germany participates sparks posts about WW II, the third reich, Hitler, Blitzkrieg etc. Although I'm quite aware, that we (Germans born decades after WW II) need to be remembered of our history whenever necessary, I don't feel that an Olympic tournament is the place and time where it's necessary.

Back to topic: can't wait for the final. I'm so excited ...

But Russia-Germany in an Olympic final. Or even any hockey final. Not many opportunities for such laffs.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
But it's a bit sad, really, when the Germans for the possibly first time in history all watch a hockey-game... And they will be crushed. Sorry.

I hardly think that many Germans who aren't interested in hockey will suddenly get up to watch the game at 5 am on a Sunday morning.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
there is a small secret on this German Team. First the Coach is the most expierenc Player we ever had, also Sturm is a nice Person, i think he have the hand to the Player.
The older Player like Ehrhoff, Goc, Seidenberg played with the Coach in the National Team. So you have a deep binding between Coach and Players.
For the younger Player, Sturm was one of teh person Players looked up. younger Brothers of Goc or Seidenberg also know the Coach outside from Hockey.

So what speaks for Germany, is maybe a insane Team mentality and getting better.
I mean the canadian and american team are more based as AHL strength or european league strength. And in every european League you can find Ex AHL Players.
German Hockey News, also wrote a report about it AHL Players interisting for german Teams and european Leagues.

And from the first Year till now Sturm was makeing this Team better and better.

Im happy with the Outcome, cause its shows that been Coach and GM is the right decision. That was former German National Team Coach Krüger was tooked away, so its also a Point for Krüger no matter it comes late.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
This has the potential to be another Miracle on Ice.

Of course the Russians play the part of the bad guys again.

Seriously, it'd be almost as big as Lake Placid 1980.
It would be similar to 1980 if the likes of OV and Malkin were there along with all the other Russian stars. Not the second tier Russian team.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mein Vaterland!

It's not as big of a deal without the NHL and it's not soccer, but I'm still proud of these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->